1/48 Revell F-86D

Hello,

Here are a few pictures of my F-86D Sabre Dog in Yugoslav Air Force livery. I hope you like it :)

TY93zPaQIlEVMuKdKAtU9CeC0JDaGSPi-5oudcXg

I used the Revell kit and Cutting Edge decals kit to represent 14105 from the Yugoslav Air Force. I also used white metal landing gears together with wheels and PE from Eduard. The parachute housing is scratch built (yes I bought the wrong Revell kit - the one without the housing :doh:). This kit builds like a dream, excellent fit and in my opinion nicely detailed from the box, including the pilot figure. The Cutting Edge decals and Montex masks where excellent to work with.

1ey_yqnbeSstdAS9mgr5NCi57aid-_i7hMYXDQ15

The original North American F-86D Sabre Dog was based at the Yugoslav Air Force Academy, VNC (Vazduhoplovno nasdavni centar) in Sombor during the early 70’s. The Runway in Sombor was destroyed by NATO forces in 1999, but I actually think the base itself is still in use.

Hf0AgEAn-e_n4KuBbVQlJG4IHQc-qyLkWKaPn994

There is a debate whether the color on the nose is blue, black or something in between and as far as I know there are only b/w pictures of the actual plane so there you go... I went for the blue option choosing the same blue as in the air force insignia.  

LrWKIpTVu16JGLjE81kgD3KUlBT6yr79tCySnYTc

I used Aclad II Chrome as base and made some slight panel variations to an air frame I have chosen to be overall quite clean (it looks like it is very well maintained on the pictures I have seen). The rest of the colors used are Gunze and Ammo, weathered with Ammo products.

yM_9bnWCJup5X50ftViKdsJLTzL8rgf4fbeeVLTJ

Thanks’ for looking!

:cheers:
/Fred

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

My Favourite Sabre beautifully built and finished, one of the best fitting kits ever made IMHO.

I hope Revell get over their problems and reissue this kit as I am down to my last one.

Ian

24 minutes ago, camper1 said:

My Favourite Sabre beautifully built and finished, one of the best fitting kits ever made IMHO.

I hope Revell get over their problems and reissue this kit as I am down to my last one.

Ian

My cave has turned into some kind of Sabre plant with three finished and the Academy F-86F-30 (slowly turning into a Canadair Mk.5 look alike) drying on the table. I was not much in the favor of the Sabre before I started building them. I guess I have changed my mind... 

I also have my fingers crossed for Revell, well detailed, affordable, I like them a lot.

4 minutes ago, opus999 said:

This is a beautiful build (and I was never crazy about the saber dog, but this kind of changes my mind! :) ). I am really impressed by your super-realistic NMF. What did you use?

Used Alclad II. First a black base, then Chrome (or Polished Aluminium depending on how clean the finished look should be) as the shiny base. I have learned that this is one way of getting depth and a ‘real’ metal look. First used it on a J35B Draken a few years back.

Leave it to dry at least 24hrs, preferably longer, before altering panels (on this one with Polished, Airframe and Duraluminium). The ‘grey’ mid-section of the wings and the upper part of the fin is Dull Aluminium. Sprayed thin layers always on the upper range of recommended psi and with a 0,4 needle.

Other colours are added on top of the aluminium. All covered with Light Sheen clear cote after weathering. To me the best for ‘glossy’ clean planes.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, CanDid said:

Used Alclad II. First a black base, then Chrome (or Polished Aluminium depending on how clean the finished look should be) as the shiny base. I have learned that this is one way of getting depth and a ‘real’ metal look. First used it on a J35B Draken a few years back.

Leave it to dry at least 24hrs, preferably longer, before altering panels (on this one with Polished, Airframe and Duraluminium). The ‘grey’ mid-section of the wings and the upper part of the fin is Dull Aluminium. Sprayed thin layers always on the upper range of recommended psi and with a 0,4 needle.

Other colours are added on top of the aluminium. All covered with Light Sheen clear cote after weathering. To me the best for ‘glossy’ clean planes.

This is similar to my approach, but it looks much better than my results!

Do you use an enamel or lacquer black base? Also, do you mask the different panels or do you free-hand them?

I just got my first bottle of dull aluminum in the mail yesterday -- can't wait to try it.

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

This is similar to my approach, but it looks much better than my results!

Do you use an enamel or lacquer black base? Also, do you mask the different panels or do you free-hand them?

I just got my first bottle of dull aluminum in the mail yesterday -- can't wait to try it.

I use Aclad II primer (black in this case) and their enamel gloss black base. Primer is sanded/polished with fine mesh and so is the base. 

It depends, mostly I go free hand holding a post-it as mask. If using maskung tape i make sure it is not to tacky, often used two or three times alreday. 

I use quite a lot of paint, though spraying it thin but several layers. Try it over a shiny part and compare it with sprayed directly onto black or grey. Quite a different effect.

• Thanks 2