Revell Solo: a star wars story kits

Just to state the very obvious ("Build-and-play model kit" and "6+"), there are no prizes for guessing the section of the market these kits are aimed at. Revell had to match the quality of the kits to the people that were going to be buidling them. This will leave experienced, adult modellers feeling somewhat cheated and I can very much see why...

Mind you, if these are priced at the (very high) levels I would expect, all bets might be off.  

Please don't read this post as snide or patronising - its certainly not intended to be read like that. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Just to state the very obvious ("Build-and-play model kit" and "6+"), there are no prizes for guessing the section of the market these kits are aimed at. Revell had to match the quality of the kits to the people that were going to be buidling them. This will leave experienced, adult modellers feeling somewhat cheated and I can very much see why...

Mind you, if these are priced at the (very high) levels I would expect, all bets might be off.  

Please don't read this post as snide or patronising - its certainly not intended to be read like that. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

I don't read this as snide or patronising-this is a discussion forum and that's what we are here to do, i do believe you can make simple snap kits and make them appeal to young and old alike and i think revell are falling a little short in that department.  With the lack of official importer for bandai kits i think revell are missing a massive open goal for detailed star wars stuff when no doubt they are paying good money for the license fee and not exploiting it to full advantage and have no competitor in this territory, it seems to be a lose/lose situation as many modellers i know are passing on the build and play kits so revell are not generating the best income from the moulds and modellers don't get access to detailed star wars kits we desire -- just my opinion .

I take your point, sir.

I guess it's similar to the question of "Why can't Hollywood make intelligent blockbusters?"

I reckon that thousands of these kits will be sold, part-built and end up in the back of a wardrobe...

Chris. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize Han's speeder wasn't symmetrical, i don't like the design in the first place but i think that makes it even worse!

While i dislike pretty much all the new vehicle designs, it's such a shame that all their recent kits for Star Wars are these "build & play" things that are more along the lines of toys. Its good that there are alternatives for Star Wars model manufacturers though, even if Bandai kits are kinda hard to get. At least it isn't quite like what they're doing with Halo where it's all "build & play* but there aren't any other alternative manufactures using that IP for model kits (that i know of).

Edited by TheVoidDragon

Why do those stormtroopers look like they are wearing cricket pads?

Oh well, at least Bandai are going to be releasing a 1/144 Solo version of the Falcon to keep us happy

15 hours ago, Chillidragon said:

So what's the detachable nose on the Millennium Bedpan all about?

An opportunity to sell another one to a bunch of people who already bought the last three versions.....At a guess?  :whistle:

Somebody please nuke Disney!  :pray:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2018 at 16:05, VMA131Marine said:

Does nobody believe in safety harnesses a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

They never had them on the bridge of the Enterprise either!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

That looks awful. :owww: They've ruined the Falcon, and both Han and the Imperials look like they're riding motorised books!  :poop:

All the designs i've seen so far look awful.

A Star Destroyer design that intended for what is now basically a different setting (as it was an entire different interpretation of how things might look) that was rejected in the first place, and looks really silly with the giant dishes on the sides.

An Imperial Speederbike that's closer to a flying brick than anything, that seems to have no thought put into the design and doesn't even slightly fit in with any of the speederbike designs we've seen, especially not the Imperial ones. It's similar to Rey's, but that speederbike is something she made herself on a junk planet...but even that looks more sleek, aerodynamic and interesting than this one.

Han's speeder can be compared to a giant portable hard-drive the with tiny engines on the side and some car parts slapped on. For some reason it's also not symmetrical. 

Why do you think they've ruined the Falcon though?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Now that would be a whole load of safety harnesses's indeed and would keep Eduard in business for years at !/350 scale, he,he.     

30 minutes ago, TheVoidDragon said:

Why do you think they've ruined the Falcon though?

A couple of reasons, mainly the addition of the insert between the cargo mandibles that just screws with the proportions that we've all come to know and love.  I can understand all the access covers on the "latterly" open areas on the mandibles and "bun" parts of the hull, but that one over the engine exhausts must have made a right old clang as they threw it into the back of the workshop :owww:  I understood from general "reading around" over the years that there was a chunk missing from the original ship as it was when Lando or the previous owner had it, but extending the "nose" has really made it look odd.  Looks too much like a tear-drop from above now, and makes parking even more dangerous with less visibility on the left. :frantic:

the-brand-new-millennium-falcon-corellia

EDIT: Just been looking at the "real" thing, and with a bit of smut and the finer detail it doesn't look quite so scary.  I'll go look at his speeder now. :hmmm:

Han's speeder is just a book with engines.  Someone has said "let's have an assymmetrical theme this film", and they've just offset everything whether it makes sense or looks good or not.  That windscreen is a direct copy of a Lego (tm) part, which also does it no favours at all.  Meh! :paddy: Every time I look at it, my eyes get all offended :strop:

EDIT: BWAAAHGHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

40AAF56200000578-0-image-m-20_1495470798

The Imperial speeders are just plain lazy, and have assymmetric lines to fit the dictat above.  Rey's speeder is the closest to their design as you say, but hers' is just cool and interesting by comparison, with curves and details that are lacking here.  When will Bandai come out with a kit of that in 1:12?  We're waiting! :pray: 

40AAF59900000578-0-image-a-8_14954698545

To summarise my diatribe, it's not aimed at Revell in any way, but at the film designs that Revell have copied for these snap-together kits.  We've seen some awesome ships in the Star Wars universe over the years, and hundreds more elsewhere, but is all this assymmetric :poop: really the half-way point between the retro-sleek prequel films and those of the original trilogy?  I don't think these three fit at all, and the new Star Destroyer with big dishes in the side sounds just as 'orrid :crying:

I hope I'm wrong. :unsure: I've not seen the real designs myself yet, so I'm hoping that these are over-simplified and rubbish, but I'm a bit perturbed about the direction the visuals of the film are going.  :hmmm:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

They are milking this franchise to death

Well when you spend 4.3 billion for the franchise plus 8.8 billion for Star wars world at the Florida Disney park. Star Wars World includes 3 life size AT-AT and AT-ST walkers. Multiple real life planet sets that allow you to interact with and participate in the STAR WARS UNIVERSE lifestyle. And At least one millenium falcon simulator based on an airline simulator is why theyre milking this to death. They need to pay for all that investment. So far they have recouped the cost of the the movie and lucasfilm purchase.

Dennis 

Here's Squarehead's prediction for the forthcoming silliness.....To survive the rigors of 'The Kessel Run' Han will be forced to jettison the cargo pod (or whatever it is) between the mandibles (possibly wasting the pursuing bad guys or whatever in the process), leaving the Falcon with the distinctive profile we've come to know & love.  :sleeping:

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I hope I'm wrong. :unsure: I've not seen the real designs myself yet, so I'm hoping that these are over-simplified and rubbish, but I'm a bit perturbed about the direction the visuals of the film are going.  :hmmm:

I think you may be deeply disappointed.  :unsure:

2 hours ago, Julien said:

The Enterprise had inertial dampers: although they never seemed to work when the ship was under attack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

To survive the rigors of 'The Kessel Run' Han will be forced to jettison the cargo pod (or whatever it is) between the mandibles (possibly wasting the pursuing bad guys or whatever in the process), leaving the Falcon with the distinctive profile we've come to know & love.

That'll be what got him in trouble with Jabba in time for A New Hope. :idea: There's a character I hope they make a better job of than they did in the Special Edition of Star Wars (Episode 4: A New Hope in case anyone's confused). :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

There's a character I hope they make a better job of than they did in the Special Edition of Star Wars (Episode 4: A New Hope in case anyone's confused). :)

Give it up now.....That way it'll be less painful when you see it.  :mellow:

45 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Multiple real life planet sets that allow you to interact with and participate in the STAR WARS UNIVERSE lifestyle.

No, they allow you to mess about with plastic & animatronics in Florida.  :rolleyes:

1ZbQYRi.jpg

Hopefully it'll flop and bury that goddam rat once & for all.  :pray:

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

That'll be what got him in trouble with Jabba in time for A New Hope. :idea: There's a character I hope they make a better job of than they did in the Special Edition of Star Wars (Episode 4: A New Hope in case anyone's confused). :)

I really hope not, the movie doesn't need to be a "here's everything Han mentioned in the movies, no matter how brief!" compilation, especially as it's meant to be set quite a few years before A New Hope!

1 hour ago, Mike said:

A couple of reasons, mainly the addition of the insert between the cargo mandibles that just screws with the proportions that we've all come to know and love.  I can understand all the access covers on the "latterly" open areas on the mandibles and "bun" parts of the hull, but that one over the engine exhausts must have made a right old clang as they threw it into the back of the workshop :owww:  I understood from general "reading around" over the years that there was a chunk missing from the original ship as it was when Lando or the previous owner had it, but extending the "nose" has really made it look odd.  Looks too much like a tear-drop from above now, and makes parking even more dangerous with less visibility on the left. :frantic:

the-brand-new-millennium-falcon-corellia

I can see what you mean with the Falcon now actually. It's something that, at least in principle i don't have a problem with; the Falcon is in poor condition and had so many changes by Han by the time we see it in the OT...but the more i look at it, the less i like it. It's like it's so close and those changes are so small that it just looks entirely wrong. It isn't just because of it being different, i think it's that it's not different enough; it's just a slightly longer, shinier Falcon, the small change of the elongated Front makes it seem too similar yet also not quite right, rather than if they'd done something that was very noticeably different with it.

1 minute ago, TheVoidDragon said:

it's just a slightly longer, shinier Falcon, the small change of the elongated Front makes it seem too similar yet also not quite right, rather than if they'd done something that was very noticeably different with it.

I think we've entered the uncanny valley. :ghost:

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I think we've entered the uncanny valley. :ghost:

I think that describes the problem quite well, actually! It's so close to still being the Millenium Falcon but the extra length and covered front section make it just so slightly different enough for it to feel wrong.

I really wish they'd have gone for something more substantial. While this is a side-view and now non-canon, something like these Cargo pods could have been interesting:

latest?cb=20130903003137

If they had done something like that alongside the current front addition and linked the two together (so like there's a whole other layer ontop), that would have been a pretty interesting design and still the Falcon underneath, but enough of a difference to feel worthwhile.

Edited by TheVoidDragon
  • Like 1