Heinkel He 111 H Cockpit

Starfighter

Hi guys,

I'm at the cockpit stage of my ICM 1/48 Heinkel 111, and I have a question regarding instrument panels, which someone with more knowledge than me might have an answer to ? Whilst looking at photos and the books I have on this airplane I notice that some appear to have another, square instrument panel on the left hand side of the cockpit, but this is not included in the kit. My question is : Was this fitted as standard, or was it a later addition to the airplane ? If it is a standard fitting I'll have to scratch build one, which should be no big problem, otherwise would it be correct to leave it out ?  :cheers:

Later models of the 111 (H-16 and onward) had a different canopy with less framing. The instrument panel, which on P-models and early H-variants is on the ceiling of the canopy in this later variant was changed into the squarish side panel that I think you are describing.

57 minutes ago, elger said:

Later models of the 111 (H-16 and onward) had a different canopy with less framing. The instrument panel, which on P-models and early H-variants is on the ceiling of the canopy in this later variant was changed into the squarish side panel that I think you are describing.

Thanks for the reply to my question, elger. I'm still a bit confused, as the cockpit drawing on the back of my copy of Aircraft Monograph 2 shows the panel on the cockpit roof, as well as the square panel on the left, so would they have had both panels at the same time ?  :cheers:

22 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

Thanks for the reply to my question, elger. I'm still a bit confused, as the cockpit drawing on the back of my copy of Aircraft Monograph 2 shows the panel on the cockpit roof, as well as the square panel on the left, so would they have had both panels at the same time ?  :cheers:

I think it's one or the other but I'm not 100% sure; I do know that the 1/48 Monogram H-22 kit came with both. But if you look at photos of the H-20 at the RAF museum it only has the side panel.

Hendon, HE-111-H20 Glass Nose

3 hours ago, Merlin said:

Hi,

Most BoB period He111 H and P cockpit shots I have feature a small panel at left with 5 instruments in it arranged at an angle to its inboard edge.

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/heinkel-he-111-walk-around

look for photos of the He111 at Gardermoen museum.

Merlin

That is how the instruments are in the ICM kit, so that is what I'm going with : thanks for the info, Merlin . . . it's much appreciated. :cheers: