Tim's Italeri PBJ-1D Mitchell

Joining you with this kit.

Italeri_Mitchell.jpg

of parts.

Italeri_PBJ.jpgItaleri_PBJ.jpg

Says Flat Sea Blue - which I've intenpreted as Humbrol 47, and airbrushed some parts.

Italeri_PBJ_Parts.jpgItaleri_PBJ_Parts.jpg

but doesn't look right.  were they really this colour?

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
imagehost

My photo-host has changed domain - loosing all my posted photos in the process.  Fortunately just 3 in this thread.

Anyway assembly has started, here's the cockpit and other interior bits.

S5000002.jpg

Wings and fuselage.

S5000001.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Running really slowly, but here's the cockpit with fuselage dryfitted around it.

S5000001.jpg

S5000002.jpg

Fuselage now sealed up, so about to start the smoothing.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Tim, I'm with you doubting that as a colour for this build, I'm finding it hard to get a definitive call on this but according to ModellingMadness these were 1944 aircraft & should have had the navy 3 colour scheme, ie Dark Sea Blue over Intermediate Blue over Insignia White, in Humbrol, something like 105/144/34 would be a reasonable approximation I think, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies also does these colours, somewhat more accurately than my Humbrol call out, I've just bought some of them but yet to use them'. For an earlier machine, ie back into 1943, a Blue Gray over White (or maybe Light Gray) may be correct. Blue gray was similar to intermediate Blue Perhaps  slighly Bluer & paler than Int blue, think the colour of Guadalcanal Wildcats & you're in the ball park, Intermediate Blue & PRU Blue together should come close.  Some info on VBMB-413 here with some colour info.

Steve.

• Like 1

Just now, stevehnz said:

Tim, I'm with you doubting that as a colour for this build, I'm finding it hard to get a definitive call on this but according to ModellingMadness these were 1944 aircraft & should have had the navy 3 colour scheme, ie Dark Sea Blue over Intermediate Blue over Insignia White, in Humbrol, something like 105/144/34 would be a reasonable approximation I think, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies also does these colours, somewhat more accurately than my Humbrol call out, I've just bought some of them but yet to use them'. For an earlier machine, ie back into 1943, a Blue Gray over White (or maybe Light Gray) may be correct. Blue gray was similar to intermediate Blue Perhaps  slighly Bluer & paler than Int blue, think the colour of Guadalcanal Wildcats & you're in the ball park, Intermediate Blue & PRU Blue together should come close.  Some info on VBMB-413 here with some colour info.

Steve.

Thanks for that sanity check.  I'm thinking Guadalcanal Wildcat - which I have in my stash.  Humbrol 125 & 129 then.

• Like 1

125 might be a but on the grey side even though its what Airfix recommends, maybe about 10% Hu 230, PRU blue or even the old too dark & too grey Hu 157 Azure blue you have it might give it a blueish shade. If you can be bothered of course, even the straight 125 will be a huge improvement on the 47.

Steve.