Sharkmouth GB Chat

Basilisk

37 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

112 squadron put shark's mouth on everything from the P-40 onwards, including Vampires and the Bloodhound missile

A Bloodhound would be a very interesting addition to the GB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Still available too in 1/32 scale from David Parkins and Hannants.  A deep breath would likely be made before parting with one's money, but then it is resin, white metal and photo-etched brass, so I guess the materials involved are pricey in themselves.  Flightpath kit is a Mk 2, I'm not sure if 112's were 1 or 2s.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I am not joining! I am not joining! I tell you, I'm not joining.

I do have plans to do my Airfix Bloodhound in 112 sqd markings. I think they were based on Cyprus at that time.

I plan to do a minimum of correction work on the Airfix Bloodhound but I don't really care if its the right mark or not.

I was sent this photo years ago.

112sqnpic041-M.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2019 at 9:09 PM, trickyrich said:

Typhoon%20Sharks%20Mouth%20decals-M.jpg

As much as Iove both Typhoons and sharks, I must protest. That looks like a basking shark, which is only scary if you're oceanic plankton.

Who looked at his Typhoon and thought, "That radiator inlet deserves a shark mouth, it'll be a w e s o m e!"

I look forward to seeing how you cope with the decal sheet over that mahoosive maw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Who looked at his Typhoon and thought, "That radiator inlet deserves a shark mouth, it'll be a w e s o m e!"

a Canadian, F/L H.T. "Moose" Mossip  

I mean it had an radiator intake that could have probably swallow small or not so small children, maybe it was meant to be a "Bears Mouth"!  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

ooops! I am already joined up; on April 14th last year, I'm in 23rd place

So I just won't sign up again, so there!

• Haha 3

Great to see a sudden interest in the topic.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:09 PM, trickyrich said:

I've been umming and arring over this GB since it was first proposed, I have a couple of candidates but it sort of clashed with a couple of other GB's that interested me.

But I have something in the stash that I really want to build and it would be perfect for this GB and is quite different. So I've postponed a couple of builds to help clear some space, so I'm in and here she is.

MDC's gorgeous 1/32 resin Hawker Typhoon Ib!!!  :wub:

.....and for the Sharkmouth, Aivaeology's Sharkmouth Typhoon decal set.

She was a very unique bird, just the sort of thing I like, plus she's resin......ok I'm having resin withdrawals! It should be an OOB build...though I can't remember if I did buy any AM stuff for her, will have to have a look see when I get home.

Glad to see that you participate with a large scale resin monster Rich and I am sure she will be a beauty. Now you only have to decide if red or the camouflage colour is inside the mouth.

I have the same decals and patiently waiting for Special Hobby releasing a 1/32 scale Typhoon.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:50 AM, ProfSparks said:

Hi All

Sorry I'm late, can I still join with the decidedly Vanilla Airfix Bf110C-2/C-4?

(The sharkmouth scheme obvs)

Cheers

Steve

You are not late at all Steve and of course you can join. The GBs are open to all and you just need to get started with your build on or after 11 May:)

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:I do indeed have leftover Mustang GAoS and the sharkmouth decals from an Airfix starter set...  and an unstarted Tamiya P-51D kit!

Looks to me it all falls into place for you.

15 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Indeed!

14 hours ago, Black Knight said:

112sqnpic041-M.jpg

But you know you want ;)

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

ooops! I am already joined up; on April 14th last year, I'm in 23rd place

So I just won't sign up again, so there!

Yes you are and I cant let you of the hook :lol: Better watch yourself, you are in shark infested waters :whistle:

I myself made a special purchase for this GB a while ago.

Ouragan-1.jpg

To build something looking like this.

Ouragan-2.jpg

But I am not sure if I go ahead with it as I found the kit rather disappointing. Looked great on the pictures, but needs lots of work. In addition it is not the most accurate rendition of an Ouragan with wing leading edges close to a Spitfire wing curvature :hmmm:

But what I definitely build is this.

963675-16559-53-720.jpg

It will be in the colours of an early American Volunteer Group aircraft from the First or Third Squadron without the Disney Tiger on it :winkgrin:

Keep then coming.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 6

On 07/03/2019 at 10:46, Basilisk said:

Looks to me it all falls into place for you.

+ it liberates the P-40E kit to be built as Capt. Wild Bill Kelso's 1941 ride in the moviestars, or whatever it's called, GB :thumbsup:

Edit 3/5/19: Of course, there's this domestic option from Finnish AF...

https://images.app.goo.gl/BphYTi36rUffrkUdA

• Like 3

I love the Ouragan pity it sounds like a bit or work to correct.

yeah, I've been reading everything i can find about this aircraft and the sharks mouthed it's still 50/50 whether the mouth was red or camouflaged, or both at different times. I'm sort of leaning to camouflaged for some reason, though with the latter blue spinner and checker board bands the red would seem to fit. I wish I knew where they got the inspiration for it from, that then would give me a guide to what the mouth colour should be! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

+ it liberates the P-40E kit to be built as Capt. Wild Bill Kelso's 1941 ride in the moviestars, or whatever it's called, GB :thumbsup:

Lucky you - looks like a real win-win situation!

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

yeah, I've been reading everything i can find about this aircraft and the sharks mouthed it's still 50/50 whether the mouth was red or camouflaged, or both at different times. I'm sort of leaning to camouflaged for some reason, though with the latter blue spinner and checker board bands the red would seem to fit. I wish I knew where they got the inspiration for it from, that then would give me a guide to what the mouth colour should be! 

I think you just have to go with your gut feeling. Most sharkmouth do have red in them, but on the other hand, the AVG had some on their P-40Bs just with the camouflage showing. Whatever you decide, no-one can tell you it is wrong - that is until a colour picture emerges which is rather unlikely.

Just see it that way, the picture shows it with camouflage as it was taken just before they painted it red - that should do :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

On 07/03/2019 at 13:04, Basilisk said:

. . . I think you just have to go with your gut feeling. Most sharkmouth do have red in them, but on the other hand, the AVG had some on their P-40Bs just with the camouflage showing. Whatever you decide, no-one can tell you it is wrong - that is until a colour picture emerges which is rather unlikely.

Even then, the picture is of the subject at one particular part of a second in its life; It may have been painted differently before or after that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Put me down please as I have one I think qualifies.

No need to put you down. Just join the fun after the GB commenced on 11 May.

I like your choice and it will be great to see same large scale models being built.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I've decided to go (comparatively) large with a Hasegawa 1/72 B-24J with sharkmouth transfers for the 90BG from Superscale B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Great choice. That will look terrific when done.

Cheers, Peter

I'd like to join in please if I may.

I've recently re-discovered my love of the Sabre and I'd like the enter the F-86F-10 " Paper Tiger " flown by Harold Fischer in Korea.

I will be using a Red Roo one piece narrow chord slatted wing and already have a cockpit interior made up, so I hope this doesn't infringe the 25% rule.

IMG_1605

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’d like to enter as well.  A lend lease Spitfire Vc Trop in American markings, unless I get adventurous with a P.E.-2 Pike mouth if that would be acceptable?

• Like 1

Quick question ... I have the Fujimi A-7D kit that i am planning on using for this build. It comes with 23rd markings. Though they're in SEA Camouflage. I found this photo of an A-7D in Euro Camouflage from Airliners of a 23rd A-7. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/LTV-A-7D-Corsair-II/141718

Would it be an issue if i possibly went this route instead of SEA Camouflage. Im just checking as I'm not quite sure which i prefer ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, Biggles87 said:

I'd like to join in please if I may.

I've recently re-discovered my love of the Sabre and I'd like the enter the F-86F-10 " Paper Tiger " flown by Harold Fischer in Korea.

I will be using a Red Roo one piece narrow chord slatted wing and already have a cockpit interior made up, so I hope this doesn't infringe the 25% rule.

John

You may John and welcome aboard. A shark mouth on a Sabre looks great and will be an interesting build. I am not too hang up on the 25% rule, so have no objection with your proposed build.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:50 AM, whiskey said:

I finally figured out which one I will be starting with.

That is half the work done already! And a great looking choice it is.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, Beazer said:

I’d like to enter as well.  A lend lease Spitfire Vc Trop in American markings, unless I get adventurous with a P.E.-2 Pike mouth if that would be acceptable?

I am glad you join the fun Beazer. Both of your suggestion will look spectacular on the model and as long as the Pike mouth contains teeth (which I think it does) then all is fine.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question ... I have the Fujimi A-7D kit that i am planning on using for this build. It comes with 23rd markings. Though they're in SEA Camouflage. I found this photo of an A-7D in Euro Camouflage from Airliners of a 23rd A-7. 

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/LTV-A-7D-Corsair-II/141718

Would it be an issue if i possibly went this route instead of SEA Camouflage. Im just checking as I'm not quite sure which i prefer ? 

Dennis

Sorry, I don't fully understanding your question. As long as you build a model of an actual aircraft, then that is fine, But if you paint the model in Euro camp and use the markings of the SEA bird, then that makes it fictional. On the other hand most likely no one would notice the discrepancy :whistle:

Just a month to go now.

Cheers, Peter