Engine Exhaust Metal?

EthanGreen123

Hi there,

How would I go about achieving a finish like the engine exhausts on this B-2: https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/usaf/mlpb2.htm or something close to the real life photos? 

I use normal brushes and I came across Alclad which looked perfect but you need an airbrush... :\ Is there an alternative to Alclad I could use to get the same finish? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

MIG Productions have a large assortment of dry "pigments". Apply a base color and then apply the pigments. You can dry brush them and then rub them in. Use a clear coat to seal them.

I get them at my LHS, but they're also available from Sprue, Ebay, &etc.

I've tried this and that, and my strong preference now is for Mr Metal from GSI Creos.  It goes on in one coat if you're careful, you can buff it after five minutes until it gleams, and there's hardy any visible metal flakes.  Some shades are a bit odd but I've found that aluminium, dark iron and stainless are the business.

In't olden days before airbrushes and all that malarkey, jet burnt metal was mixed from matt black and silver. Humbrol enamels, of course.

You would vary the ratios of the mix for different tones, maybe even adding a dash of gold or bronze for effect if required.

Another old trick (well, not that old…. I still use it!:D) is to use the graphite from a pencil.

Undercoat the part in matt black or dark grey, then scrub out a pencil on a bit of wet n dry to collect the graphite powder. Apply the powder with your finger or a cotton bud, or best yet, a rubbery make-up applicator.

4EXEXVo.jpg

Mart

As I said, before airbrush mixes for burnt metal came about, the traditional way was mixtures of silver and black.

Try mixing some test batches up - 75:25 silver to black, 50:50, and 25:75. You can also add a trace of bronze or gold to vary the tone even more.

Spray or brush out your mixes, and compare them when dry. Then you can compare to the photo showing the effect you're looking for and adjust your ratios to get as

close a match as that method will give you. Many model Phantoms carried variations of those mixes to depict their hot ends.

13 hours ago, Reparty said:

As I said, before airbrush mixes for burnt metal came about, the traditional way was mixtures of silver and black.

Try mixing some test batches up - 75:25 silver to black, 50:50, and 25:75. You can also add a trace of bronze or gold to vary the tone even more.

Spray or brush out your mixes, and compare them when dry. Then you can compare to the photo showing the effect you're looking for and adjust your ratios to get as

close a match as that method will give you. Many model Phantoms carried variations of those mixes to depict their hot ends.

Thanks, I think I'll give that a try. Will Humbrol enamel paints be alright? Does it have to be matt black, satin or anything else? 

I'll try with whatever I have.