Alpine Stallion...1/48 Sikorsky S-65OE Austrian Airforce

Most probably not many of you may know, that two of these giants were in Austrian service. After Israel, Austria was the second foreign country to operate the S-65. Initially it was planned to buy 9 helicopters and station one in each Austrian state. But due to money reasons only two were bought in the end. They were in service from 1970 to 1981 and then were sold for a bargain to Israel, officially becuase of the high maintaining costs, inofficially because of political reasons.

Don´t know where to put it yet but my dad decided to build it. Gonna use a Revell Germany kit version with decals from fellow Austrian modeler Daniel Brenter https://www.brent-air-decals.at/

39468714390_4d66032381_b.jpgDSC_0001 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

39468711550_ffe176a71e_b.jpgDSC_0002 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 8

some grey paint for the interior, gonna do the cargo door closed, so you don´t really see it anyway afterwards, also in the cockpit area

26488292637_daf2d75b52_b.jpgDSC_0001 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

the kit is for the updated German version with an instrument board with modern screens, so no decals for the old board, gonna do some drybrushing

39550005550_28782eb439_b.jpgDSC_0002 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 4

On 7.4.2018 at 10:30 PM, modelling minion said:

She is a big old bird isn't she.

I seem to remember that the 1/72 Airfix one came with Austrian markings in one of it's boxings.

possible, yes

the Fujimi kit included Austrian markings afaik

On 7.4.2018 at 12:13 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Ah, 5L-MA, an airshow regular before being sold to the Israelis.

Martin

yes, it visited the UK several times

WOW!

can I put 2 "likes" please? ;)

:thumbsup:

there are not many photos, even fewer in color availale of the 2 maschines, but some show day glow orange patches .....

http://www.doppeladler.com/da/oebh/sikorsky-s65oe-story/

scroll down!

I have those decals (I guess the same ones, I do not have this sleeve) and the kit for a future build....

but need to finish the Black Hawk first...... :(

6 minutes ago, exdraken said:

WOW!

can I put 2 "likes" please? ;)

:thumbsup:

there are not many photos, even fewer in color availale of the 2 maschines, but some show day glow orange patches .....

http://www.doppeladler.com/da/oebh/sikorsky-s65oe-story/

scroll down!

I have those decals (I guess the same ones, I do not have this sleeve) and the kit for a future build....

but need to finish the Black Hawk first...... :(

I know the Doppeladler site, there are also some pics and info at http://gotech.at/sikorsky_ch53.htm

you can print the decal instructions at Brenter´s site

yes, the schemes slightly changed during the years, white numbers - black numbers, dayglow-no dayglow

my dad will do it with white codes and day glow, more contrast and more interesting for the eye :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Someone please tell me they know what those colours were used for the 1973 water-soluble trial scheme....:waiting:

Would be a good looking scheme but i doubt anybody can tell.

For the bright colour I would go for sand or grey. For the slightly darker tone I could imagine a light brown or green. Hard to tell.

1 minute ago, Reini78 said:

filling sanding filling....always sad that surface detail gets lost

41579618621_438e040a3f_b.jpgDSC_0001 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

Nowadays I mask off around where I am filling and then sand back with the Tamiya tape still

in place. Remove it and then finish sanding to get it level. Use thin sanding sticks too. That way I keep as much detail as possible and the overspill, if there is any, doesn’t need any clean up.

Martin

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nowadays I mask off around where I am filling and then sand back with the Tamiya tape still

in place. Remove it and then finish sanding to get it level. Use thin sanding sticks too. That way I keep as much detail as possible and the overspill, if there is any, doesn’t need any clean up.

Martin

not a bad idea, gonna suggest it to my dad

• 2 weeks later...