17ml Storage System – 60 Bottle Paint Rack (MIG.A.8005)

Mike

17ml Storage System – 60 Bottle Paint Rack

AMMO of Mig Jiménez

boxtop.jpg

Once you've got a decent stock of any brand of paint, it becomes a bit of a pain keeping them neat and tidy, as they can take up quite a bit of shelf or drawer space, and looking at the tops of paint bottles that are all the same colour in a drawer isn't the easiest way to find a particular colour.  A paint rack is a damn good investment once you've reached critical mass, and as a lot of manufacturers use those handy 17ml dropper bottles, one in that size could come in handy.

AMMO have teamed up with HobbyZone from Poland, and created a stackable modular rack that will hold 60 of the aforementioned dropper-bottles, and although you didn't hear it from me I think you might be able to put other brands in there too.  The rack comes flat-packed in a sturdy brown box that keeps shipping costs reasonable, but of course it will need a little assembly before use.  There aren't any instructions in the box or on the website however, which might prove a bit discouraging at first, but after studying the photos it soon becomes evident how it goes together.  The outer frame is made from four lengths of 6mm MDF, and has been cut with loose-fit dovetail joints at the corners, and has a series of diagonal grooves router-cut into the inner faces.  The 3mm fibreboard/hardboard racks and other parts are similarly pre-cut and have a white painted upper surface, which accents the wooden finish, especially where the AMMO logo has been cut into the top hanger.  The five rack parts have partial circular cut-outs in the leading edge, which are set diagonally from row-to-row to allow the bottles to be closer-packed, with the bottom row having a narrower "kick board" to hold the bottom row in place.  A central stiffener runs vertically behind the racks, preventing them from bowing under the weight of the bottles, which is good news, as particle boards can sag as they age due to absorbing tiny amounts of moisture.

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

How to build it?  I'm not about to preach that my method is the perfect one, but in case you're undecided here's how I built mine.  I first glued one joint with PVA, holding it square using two engineer's squares I have, letting it set overnight, after which I did the other long edge so I had a U-shaped frame to put all the racks in.  With those joints set up I put set it on its side with the grooves for the rack upward.  Then I glued the ends of the correct racks in place, taking care to offset them as I went.  While the glue was still wet I then glued the opposite end on the corners and in each groove, using my engineer's squares to keep it down, and a couple of claps to ensure it stayed square.  The top hanger sits on a set of tab and slot grooves for strength, and it has a small nib at each end that also supports the sides and helps to hold the rack square.  That was also clamped to the frame while the glue set.  There is a cut-out in the rear of the bottom frame so that if you have two or more racks you can place them atop each other, saving space by hiding the hanger behind the rack.

complete1.jpg

You can place your rack on the desk against something sturdy, but they are designed to be wall-mounted, as evidenced by the two holes in the top of the hangers that will take a screw or any wall-fixture appropriate to your installation.  As each bottle weighs around 36g the combined weight of the rack and paints will be approaching 3kg, so make sure you fix it securely or you'll be a bit sad when it drops off the wall.

paints.jpg

Conclusion

It's a cool rack for a decent price, but I would have liked some instructions if I'm honest.  The frame could stand to be a little more rigid by the addition of a few small webs in the corners, but unless you're unlucky and careen into it one day, it should stay intact with the liberal application of PVA (wood) glue of a decent brand and strength.

Bear Hobbies have been kind enough to provide this rack for review, and I'd like to just take a moment to thank them for their support, and for Mark's enthusiasm for our hobby.  You can find his shop in the Vendor Section, or follow the link from his logo below to his site.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 3

They're really handy racks Mike. And yes, theyll hold other paint beans as well. I have a mix of Vallejo and Hataka in mine. 

I also have four of the Tamiya /Gunze sized racks and those will also take the new AK paints.

Carl

• Like 1