McDonnel Douglas F-4S Phantom II

Lifeline

Ahoy there,

I noticed there's already 2 Phantoms build here, but no 1/72 scale. So, would like to join with my 1/72 Hasegawa F-4S Phantom.  

21jvcsj.jpg

No box shot on this one since I left the original box back at home.

This actually part of the "Combo" kits which I got for free from a "kit-building" contest held by Lockheed-Martin (Yup... those guys who build F-16) several months ago. So, it explains why almost all of the parts already off from the tree and several parts already partially build. 

Since I'm currently in almost minimum modelling settings (I'm currently in my 28 day hitch off-shore), this build will be OOB.

So....Permission to come aboard...?

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 4

welcome aboard Mario and nice to see another Phantom in the build.

I am very surprised that there are so few in the build, I would have thought she would have been a really popular build.

She looks to be well below the 25% limit so now worried there. At least you have something to keep you busy while your off shore!

Well good luck with the build, hope you enjoy yourself and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome, guys..

Right after the go-ahead sign was given, I start by cleaning all the parts, which include sanding off the prior glue marks on many parts (This kit was actually "build" by other contestant in the contest I mentioned earlier, which I obtained and then carefully dismantled) and fill and sand any ejection marks found.

5oz3if.jpg

Yes I know... I said OOB, but somehow some parts of Hasegawa Phantom just screaming for more details.. So, I simulate some wiring for the RIO's Instrument Panel;

1e983r.jpg 

installed in the pit...

34y9rwm.jpg

And using spare plastic sheet I added some illusion of intake floor and jet fan blade to the otherwise blank wall of the Hasegawa Phantom air intake....

29en6tk.jpg

oh98j.jpg

and the dry-fit shows...

x6hjy0.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Small update in the past few weeks;

I've build 2 or 3 Phantoms (all in 1/72) and there's 99.999% I will break either the pitot tubes on the fin, and -mostly- the Fuel Dump Mast on the Aft part of the aircraft.

When I got this kit, I have a big hope that the tubes and the mast are still intact. And of course, I was wrong.

So a a new mast and tubes scratch build are in order, and I decided to tackle the hardest one; the mast.

@giemme Did a wonderful example on how to build one in his build thread (which should be a major reference in any 1/72 phantom build IMHO  :worthy::worthy:) here;

Yet, since I don't have the guts to try soldering yet, I did mine using plastic strips, and wires.

i5nodc.jpg

The idea was to construct the mast using 0.5mm diameter plastic logs and slip a thin copper wire in the middle of the mast. glued together, cut the sides, and small amount of putty to shape. 

fadg5v.jpg

the copper wire acted as a pin to be inserted in the hole I drilled just below of the fin (where the mast should protrude). The result, although not as good as the one Giemme did in his build.. is acceptable in my eyes.

10fxgs1.jpg

Well... at least it won't be like a tail-less creature or something :confused:....

After that (several days afterward actually...) Masked the cockpit and sprayed Mr.Hobby Primer.. No picture yet (actually I post this while waiting the primer to dry).

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 3

Nice solution for the fuel damp mast :clap:. Also, I like the detailis you added to the RIO IP and the ingenious idea for the main intakes :thumbsup2:

This build is going to keep you really busy while you're ashore, I guess :whistle:

Ciao

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mario

Time for an update please, its up on deck parade time ! :whip:

We are expecting brass to be polished and and given its the Navy you can't have enough paint, so "let's be 'aving you ! "

Seriously I hope you are well and it would be great to see if you have had a chance to make any further progress.

cheers Oat

Hi All,

First of all, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been home the last 2 weeks and was busy with all the chores SWMBO has prepared me. 

Overall, the phantom already painted with black primer followed by the light gull grey.

fbvsk7.jpg

And managed to paint the metallic area... All using AK Metallic.

javvjt.jpg

Also decided to detail the seats a bit... I actually planned to fit in Pilot and RIO, but since I haven't find the right candidate for it, I made simple "seat belts" from masking tape. The plan is , when I already find the appropriate figures, I will just seat them in and used the seat belts as theirs.

Next... Decals, and undercarriege.

Cheers, 

Mario

Indonesia

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I always jinx when building a "mainstream type of aircraft" ie; F-16, F-14, F-4.... there is always something happened latter in the build, and most of the problem will stall or even stop the build.

And the same thing also happened a few days ago.

dxmjch.jpg

I just realized the tip of the wing brooke.. miraculously I found the broken part when I swoop my table two days after 😅... A few drops of glue and severap pass of sanding paper, and disaster no more..

2myw613.jpg

I got carried away and forgot to take pictures, but today...

dfeff9.jpg

15xvg5f.jpg

2e6dgro.jpg

Started as a leftover junk, many trouble along the way, and no it definitely not a contest winner, I think I can declare it finished!

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 5

wow you did miss some photos! She does look good though, well done.

I hope you enjoyed the build, and don't forget to place some photo's in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...