Airfix 1/72 Spitfire MKI

• 1 month later...
IMG_6765

I have no idea where I have put the Eurofighter kit, so I will need to go with the second build option just now of this Airfix Spitfire. Robert can I continue on here in this thread or start a new topic?

Thanks 

@Valkyrie, sorry you've misplaced the Typhoon - you are not the first person to lose a kit (RS thinks of himself here) - it sounds as though you are as organised as I am.

As to new thread, or changing focus here, the choice is up to you - start a fresh thread, or change to the Spitfire here, which ever you feel easiest for yourself.

You may be aware, if you edit the first post, you can change the title and (if you had them) any tags.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Robert. I think it’s SWMBO the same stuff happens to clothes and other stuff in my model room, if it’s on the bench it’s out of bounds, I think I need to extend the boundary 

Thanks again. I will start a new one in the hope it appears in one of her “storage” facilities.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How quickly can one build a Spitfire? I don’t know how long they took to build one during WWII but I bet it’s probably faster than il manage this. Cannot let the RAF 100 GB go by without an entry, so away we go...

29404031148_64b85f9a9f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Progressing quite quickly. Back to front cockpit painting...

43229203302_25d9763240_b.jpg

And closed up. The fit of the wing uppers to the one piece lower was snap tight and the same was so with the wings to fuselage, zero gaps, just tiny brush with tamiya quick dry extra thin cement. Soon be ready for primer. I feel caught up now...

43229203412_d8be1c9c74_b.jpg

• Like 1

I had some great results with filling the panel lines before painting, maybe only works on Airfix new tools but my technique had improved on this model starting on the starboard before nailing it on the port side. Watered down life colour matt black just a dot on the line and watch as it gets sucked into the panel line. Let this dry overnight then canopy mask and primer and paint, might just do this in time to fit in a tornado or that Brexit fighter typhoon...

42588132324_55b70a843e_b.jpg

• Like 2

Cannot believe this was a free giveaway with a newspaper! Should have bought all of them as it’s super detailed and this canopy has just fitted on! Cannot now get it off so masking will be interesting. The paint makes it look like there is a gap, but it’s not, that baby is water tight

42704553294_750cc4b579_b.jpg

EDeadline is closing in, it’s going to be tight, really happy with my underside, no primer, pre shading and paint on top

top side colour, my first green and brown spit, small assemblies, klear coat, decals, my first true matt varnish and see how we are...

43471809141_0ac288a26d_b.jpg

First coat of humbrol dark green #30 and two of “packet mix” humbrol gift set pot #29 dark earth, looks a little too dark? Let these dry and cure, doesn’t look great but hoping the second possible 3rd coat of 30 will tidy the look up and then the varnish and decals should lift it. Now I remember why I moved to the middle ground of rattle cans from brush. 

43425971242_8b84ecec21_b.jpg

Wheels to go on, couple of parts to paint, few touch ups some varnish redo panels and final matt varnish and should make it over the line

43486396691_e699c5c5b9_b.jpg

• Like 1

Calling time on this. Bit disheartening with painting and really don’t like that humbrol dark earth, doesn’t look right, think it should be more tan, plus my paint brushing technique needs, well, brushed up. Great kit though easy to build nice panel lines and would do again. Great GB and glad there has been a huge entry set for the RAF 100, thanks to host and participants.

41736511650_4a2827e15e_b.jpg

• Like 2