DH16 Interior details

Marklo

I'm considering building a 1/48 DH16, starting from a Roden DH4, I have scale plans of both, however I'm drawing a blank for the interior layout, particularly the passenger cabin. Now I can probably just use the DH4 cockpit layout and I have a rough idea of where the passenger seats go, but after that I'm in serious need of some help.

Found it. Hmm life's too short etc. Plus I like the schemes for the DH4 so might be a nice companion for it. Found one for €20 on ebay including postage, can't argue with that :)

Edited by Marklo

• 2 months later...

The DH16 uses DH9a wings which are not only of greater span, but deeper chord too - the '4 is 5ft 6in, while the 9A is 6ft. I think you will have to make this alt, as I have seen it NOT done on a 1/72 scale conversion of a DH4 to DH9A and it just didn't look right. I imagine it would be even more obvious in 1/48th.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:24 AM, Britman said:

Roden do a 48th passenger De Havilland. Might save you the bother. 

Also, the 16 had a wider fuselage, to accomodate 4 passengers facing each other side by side, than the DH4 which carried only 2 in similar pose. So all in all a completely different aeroplane, though at least it returned to using the Eagle engine after the DH9A's use of the big heavy Liberty.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but its a fairly radical change and would be a shame to go to a lot of effort and not get the effect you are looking for. And I intend to afflict the 'pain' on myself too as I am planning a 1/72 scale conversion from a DH4 using Frog Wapity wings!

• Like 1

its a fairly radical change and would be a shame to go to a lot of effort and not get the effect you are looking for

This is why I may settle for the DH4a in civilian markings, rather then go the whole hog and make a DH16.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marklo said:

This is why I may settle for the DH4a in civilian markings, rather then go the whole hog and make a DH16.

Probably your best bet to avoid thowing away most of the existing kit! Not checked, but I think that apart from the top wing moving back to zero (or nearly) stagger, its only the cabin that changes. I do know on the cabin DH4 the seats seemed to be, certainly on the early ones, the wicker style as per the service seats, and faced each other in the tight wee cabin.

I did buy a DH4 with the intent of converting it and I'm bidding on a DH9 at the moment, but I think I'd actually like to complete them both as their original types.

WRT to the seating it makes sense that the DH4a would have the same bucket seats as the military versions, owing to the fact that it was first developed as a military transport (although I may be wrong on that), whereas the DH16 was designed as a commercial venture from the start.

• 8 months later...

There was a really nice passenger 4-seat conversion of the DH 9 operated by Horrie Miller both as a charter aircraft and a race aircraft. Its standard DH 9 but post war build so the fuselage is smoother. It has a turtle deck (curved top). In this drawing it is shown after the 1929 race (rear cabin 'holes' were made smaller and more 'streamline) but when it had been returned to charter work - hence the ladder. Colours: Aluminium dope wither darker trim (I have assumed it was a red).

Is there a 1:48 DH. 9a? 

Aeroclub were going to do one, but then Rodent announced a sweeping run of de Havillands , including a 9a, (most of which took years to emerge) so we cancelled it. Anyone wanting to scratch build a 1:72 DH.16 and can't get hold of a DH 9a or a Russian Polikarkoff R.1, can use the Frog/Novo Wapiti wings and tail plane.

There is a side by side comparison of the DH 4a airliner and the DH.16 in Flight October 2 1919 with small drawings.

John

Not sure if it's a DH9 or a DH9a but yes there is one and I have it in my stash as well as a DH2, 4 and 4a. The big missing for me is the DH5 which I may get around to scratchbuilding before too long. I'd also like a DH10 but in 1/48 it's going to be far too big for my collection,

• Like 2