This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Help with FOD Covers

Anyone have any ideas on how to scratch build/make the soft F.O.D. Covers on an F-18C hornet ? I know there is A/M options, but little $ in the budget to go that route ? I was thinking the PVA/water mix for tarps used in armor builds ? Curious to know what opinions are for that method ? Any answers are graciously appreciated in advance.

Dennis

kitchen foil is useful as it can be shaped to the intakes counters fairy easily.

When doing FOD covers I almost exclusively use pva/water method. Select an appropriate tissue (grain/pattern) cut out what you need, slap it on and wet with the mix. Now carefully adjust it to how you want it. This is the opportunity to put in creases and/or a slack fitting section, then let it dry (I put mine in the laundry drying cupboard), I give it 24hrs but you could probably do less. With a fresh or you now to be a sharp scalpel trim the excess away - prime & paint.

Steve.

Edited by speedy
Grammar

I use the tissue paper you get with the kits decals, ideal once soaked in PVA and cut to size.

the foil from the top of butter. Already grained

Andy

On 4.4.2018 at 8:42 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

... I know there is A/M options,...

There are covers available ? 

Hello @MiG-Mech Yes they're made by several A/M companies. They make them for quite a wide variety of jets. I just don't have the $ in my budget to purchase them.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle