Bluebird k7, 1967

20 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Looking good, rivets look nice and subtle. You've made quite a basic kit a whole lot more convincing. Great!

Dave

Cheers dave, very kind

Glynn 

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, i decided to remake the water brake and the stabilising fin rather than use the white metal parts that were very soft and needed quite a bit of clean up,  also after looking at photographs of the  1-1 bluebird  its apparent there are a few shape issues around the canopy area, not serious by any means, but I've altered the canopy framework where it meets the top line of the boat, the canopy will be in the forward (open) position so it may not be too apparent, but we'll have to wait and see about that,  but i may have to learn plunge molding, or make a rudimentary vac form machine, unless somone is kind enough to vac one, or knows where i can get one done  if  i prepared a mold  ,I've also finished riveting both sides of the sponsons, and  started work on the fod covers, I've some photo etch bits to add, and a couple of pipes, and then i shall prepare for the paint which arrived today, ral 5009 azure blue, cheers

Glynn 

The raised part at the back of the cockpit should go as far as the top of the boat and be a frame around the intakes

9qDMJyO.jpg

I made a small frame from brass

kHM5qDs.jpg

And fitted it where it should go, also a test fit of the fod covers, 

cx7cuvZ.jpg

Looking at this picture, i may need to thin down or replace with brass the plaining shoes on the front bottom of the sponsons

The water brake, and stabilising fin, a little detail to be added but 99%there

zdFQvyO.jpg

The finished sponsons, and the paint, 

jdI1Mzy.jpg

sPKzLuM.jpg

Thanks

Glynn 

• Like 10

Great work in this important model.

As an aside, some of you may know that Pat @ Collectakit had a MERIT kit of K7 stolen from his display at Milton Keynes. As you may guess, this is a valuable kit. Ears to the ground folks, there are very few of these in existence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Glynn. Sorry - managed to miss the start of your project - I don't often visit the maritime section! It was looking good when last seen - has there been any more recent progress?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2018 at 17:45, longshanks said:

Going to look sexy in that blue

PM sent

Kev

Thanks kev, a waft of blue has been applied 

On 26/05/2018 at 10:58, Terry1954 said:

Very nice work and the subject is fascinating.

Terry

Cheers terry, great britain at its past best 

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn. Sorry - managed to miss the start of your project - I don't often visit the maritime section! It was looking good when last seen - has there been any more recent progress?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks stix, no worries though, you've got enough builds on to keep you busy, 

On 26/05/2018 at 12:05, bentwaters81tfw said:

Great work in this important model.

As an aside, some of you may know that Pat @ Collectakit had a MERIT kit of K7 stolen from his display at Milton Keynes. As you may guess, this is a valuable kit. Ears to the ground folks, there are very few of these in existence.

Cheers, shame about the merit version, you'd think that wouldn't happen in modelling circles, but i suppose there can be  bad eggs in every basket, 

3 hours ago, Getunderit said:

How is this great model getting along?

Most kind peter, I'm on the home straight now, and hopefully ready for final assembly by the weekend,   

Some pictures,  I've made a headrest  pad, and fitted the pe lifting eyes, and two pipes that bend a 90 degrees on the sides, and the tail is permanantly fitted all the rest is dry fitted as yet but the sponsons will need glueing and filling around the attachment beams next, but they needed painting first  due to getting to paint the backs of them properly, so there'll be some touch ups, and bit of work on the paint around the canopy sides too due the resin being a bit uneven, kev, the canopy will be cut out from its vac form  piece and tested this week, I'm hopefull it all be ok, and thanks again for your most kind offer to vac form a replacement for me if needed, I'm working on the perspex spray deflectors at the moment which I'm making from acetate and are three seperate bits, i tried glueing with  a tiny dab of ca first, that was a fail, with clear canopy glue next, fail again, now I've tried clear, this has the most promise

It has bonded the three seperate pieces of acetate well, it just needs to be a bit more tidy

Thanks

0ivlwBj.jpg

iMDgKTb.jpg

YrGYBAN.jpg

VMnSAOV.jpg

Ne9PLLM.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Harrypotter said:

They the Life Colour Acrylics?

If so, how do they go on?

No mate zero paints from hiroboy, life colour do make the same  ral5001 azure blue which is the correct colour but i couldnt find it for sale in the uk, zero paints azure blue goes on faultless straight from the jar into the airbrush 0.3 needle no issues at all

Cheers, 

Since I've been off work today I've managed to get quite a bit done, paint tidy-up and the sponsons fitted, decaled and two coats of tamiya clear thinned with mr hobby self levelling thinners, here she is while drying, 

Thanks for the comments chaps, really appreciate it 

Glynn 

Q8nwbQT.jpg

wr8mDAS.jpg

UI4dYqe.jpg

H26g4bP.jpg

5DQaA4X.jpg

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

The looks absolutely Fab - Bet you are pleased as to how it's turning out:cool:

Rob

I am rob, i wish it was mine, but it'll have to go to its new home soon, i was in two minds whether to gloss it or not, but i reckon it looks much better shiny, its had another coat since and it now resting off for a day or so before the canopy and base, cheers

Glynn 

Hi Glynn!

You've nailed the colour there,bang on!😁

Great to see the Zero Paint working,got some stashed for future projects and I'm hearing nothing but good reports about it, and the fact that You can use Tamiya clear over it,I need to get some of the self leveling thinners to try with it!

Keep Sticking! Cheers,  Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents, stuck on the spray deflectors at the minute, although I've attached the pedestal to the base, not much else this week, apart from starting a 1/700 type 45, cyber- hobby hms dragon ,still the gloss will be properly hardened off by now, 

Cheers

Glynn 

• Like 1