Bluebird k7, 1967

After lurking around the maritime section and admiring  the many terrific builds on here,  I'm finally going to join in and build donald campbell's 1967 final version of bluebird  k7, its a resin kit in 1/43 scale, including a vac form canopy, some white metal parts and decent decal sheet, after doing a little initial research concerning the colour it has become apparent bluebird  k7 in its many tweaked versions was  repainted   a few times in different hues of blue, the final ral, colour , (i hope it doesn't have to be an educated guess at the end)   still eludes me, i understand the true colour of the final version is a well kept secret after reading through the rebuild of the actual recoverd k7, @ thebluebirdproject.com,  here's some pictures of the kit, i'll mull over it until cosford at the weekend, to see what can be improved upon (ruined) :P

cheers, Glynn 

2tPw9CN.jpg

VNFQbBK.jpg

zixmTTK.jpg

DPGz4Py.jpg

aKcUYW3.jpg

vAnGDPh.jpg

CR0IbEF.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 15

Not really my thing but going on past performance this is going to be worth watching.

You asked about water in my lugger post the making of water which I'm more than happy to share with you as it develops

BUT

K7 is going to be looping the loop  over my water.

My suggestion would be embossed paper (I think they use it for watercolours. I will check)

If you are going to have it flat out you need Teddy  stuffing .....

Not some new kink, guy at the club brought it in to represent dust cloud but I think it would work well as spray. Cotton wool (cleansing pads) would work see my Vosper build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986310-mtb-385-vosper-type-1-73/

Kev

• Haha 1

Hi Glynn,

If you've had a look at the Bluebird Project website you'll see a tab to a forum - the very first topic is the colour of Bluebird blue. A RAL number is given.

Here's a link because as you say, it's not all straightforward so you may want to read the whole post:  Linky

Hope this is useful.

Dave

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Glynn,

If you've had a look at the Bluebird Project website you'll see a tab to a forum - the very first topic is the colour of Bluebird blue. A RAL number is given.

Here's a link because as you say, it's not all straightforward so you may want to read the whole post:  Linky

Hope this is useful.

Dave

Thanks dave, i missed that post, azure blue 5009, and reading through the kits instructions last night, (only received the kit yesterday) there is mention of "rover pageant blue" this must have been an earlier colour, 

Glynn 

• Like 1

Hi Glynn,

Yes, I've heard of Pageant Blue being used for Bluebird blue in connection with the Land Speed Record cars. Some of these models have changed hands several times and opinions as to the colour changed too. Pandora Models used to do the LSRs and then Replicast. Pandora recommended Ford Fjord Blue and I think that was what they used on built models. I think Touchwood is now making some of the range that Replicast once did and they seem to have refined the resin castings and the decals a lot.

Certainly in car paints, there are loads of blues to choose from. If you start with the RAL colour and go with the nearest paint you can find, you should, by varying the primer colour, be able to get a fair match. It looks like the Campbells weren't at all fussy in matching the colours of the real boat!

Watching this topic with interest.

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Glynn,

Yes, I've heard of Pageant Blue being used for Bluebird blue in connection with the Land Speed Record cars. Some of these models have changed hands several times and opinions as to the colour changed too. Pandora Models used to do the LSRs and then Replicast. Pandora recommended Ford Fjord Blue and I think that was what they used on built models. I think Touchwood is now making some of the range that Replicast once did and they seem to have refined the resin castings and the decals a lot.

Certainly in car paints, there are loads of blues to choose from. If you start with the RAL colour and go with the nearest paint you can find, you should, by varying the primer colour, be able to get a fair match. It looks like the Campbells weren't at all fussy in matching the colours of the real boat!

Watching this topic with interest.

Dave

Thanks dave, it is as you might have guessed a touchwood kit,  and thanks again  posting that  link, 

1 hour ago, Harrypotter said:

Good one harry, cheers, hopefully i can round that up from cosford at the weekend, or arrange  to  pick it up, 

Glynn 

17 hours ago, longshanks said:

Not really my thing but going on past performance this is going to be worth watching.

You asked about water in my lugger post the making of water which I'm more than happy to share with you as it develops

BUT

K7 is going to be looping the loop  over my water.

My suggestion would be embossed paper (I think they use it for watercolours. I will check)

If you are going to have it flat out you need Teddy  stuffing .....

Not some new kink, guy at the club brought it in to represent dust cloud but I think it would work well as spray. Cotton wool (cleansing pads) would work see my Vosper build http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986310-mtb-385-vosper-type-1-73/

Kev

Teddy stuffing, that tickled me,the only teddy I've got is mine from, ahem, 50 or something years ago, and she's got sentimental value abound,  no the water is for another build I've got planned for the diorama section,  donald wouldn't have gotten up to 5 knots in that  to be sure, unfortunately this model isn't for me, I'm  building it for a  very good friend of mine, so it'll be pedestal mounted,  I've just got carte blanche  on the construction, cheers kev

• Haha 1

Hi Hewy!

Welcome to the m-m-m-m-ma-a-a-a-dhouse!

Nice looking kit there,I've been lusting after the 1/12 scale one for some time now, but lots of vouchers!!:o

Reaching for the follow button as I type (multi-tasking!)

Keep Sticking!     Cheers,  Pete

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Hewy!

Welcome to the m-m-m-m-ma-a-a-a-dhouse!

Nice looking kit there,I've been lusting after the 1/12 scale one for some time now, but lots of vouchers!!:o

Reaching for the follow button as I type (multi-tasking!)

Keep Sticking!     Cheers,  Pete

Cheers morty, i originally wanted to do the 1/24 scale kit for myself,  and have the engine cover off showing some internal structure, but i haven't been able to get hold of one, Stuart from touchwood models has kindly said he'll keep trying to locate one for me though,  1/12 scale would be a big ol unit, 

Glynn 

22 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

I could hide behind it if the good lady was trying to find Me for domestic tasks!:giggle:

P.S. I see we are nearly neighbours, I'm in Burton on Trent!:beer:

Keep Sticking!      Cheers,,   Pete

Nice town, nice beer, 

I've identified a few areas of interest and made a start on the seat and cockpit floor 

First the kit seat and what it would look like installed, it isn't fixed 

5UfmKHB.jpg

TCo481c.jpg

A bit spartan and I'm not up for the molded on seat belts either. 

My version of the seat  is mounted on a base of styrene for ease of fitting in the resin hull as a one part piece,  I've  added some archer resin rivets , next  I'll  prime,  and give it a coat of silver before i do the seat belts,  then on to the dash panel, ive got some airscale bezels for this, 

oqw63OO.jpg

7xJlk7r.jpg

InTTUky.jpg

OaDmJaC.jpg

And  a test fit, again unfixed  theres a couple of mm each side for manoeuvring 

GtMXzAU.jpg

P3p3bpb.jpg

tor2qrx.jpg

Cheers

Glynn 

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Modelling time has been a bit hit and miss this last couple of weeks but I'm back on track now with the bluebird,  a lot of seam sanding has taken place behind the scenes this week, but the seat and seatbelts are painted and finished, and I've completed the instrument panel, i used  airscale bezels for that along with the kit decals, I've also done the exhaust in brass, solely for thinness, and I used some old  f15 jet photo etch on the inside just to busy it up a bit, I've also started applying  archer rivet detail, this will be a steady job as theres a lot of crossing over and the lines tend to move until dried so this cant be rushed, 

Thanks for looking, 

Glynn 

0uxUpfE.jpg

0P3SRhT.jpg

drXfoau.jpg

Not yet fixed in place

UbhtjzE.jpg

CjHjAVM.jpg

oFkPZj5.jpg

lSlwuyK.jpg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Very nice indeed

Rob

Thanks rob, in my impatience i couldn't help getting some primer on, as much to prevent me damaging the rivets whilst handling as wanting to see how it would look, i gave it a mist over with microsol through the airbrush to eliminate as much carrier film as i dare first, and then used tamiya fine surface primer, a few mist coats  with about 10 mins between each, and then a wet coat, tried the sponsons on for a little look see, I'm happy with how the riveting has turned out, subtle and not in your face which was what I was after, cheers

tLiawEm.jpg

9qDMJyO.jpg

zmadT55.jpg

• Like 8