Return of the King - Seaking HAS5 ZE419 of 820NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1988

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Why not, if I may ask?

If white metal is the same used for figures, I used soldering before on some of them (mostly to repair cracks and holes, admittedly).

Great detailing once again with that brass shim 👏 :worthy:

Ciao

Well I agree you can use low melt solder on white metal parts. I've done it with a 4mm scale 9F locomotive, BUT you need to exercise extreme care and temperature control. With small parts I'd avoid it I think, so I'm with @Ex-FAAWAFU in this case!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am probably displaying my ignorance, to be honest - but I’ve always assumed that white metal wouldn’t be robust enough to stand soldering.  I have never tried it, and might well be talking utter twaddle!  [Edit: Terry seems to know more than me, so my instinct was probably right!]

But that’s why, Giorgio

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

I thought this might be a relevant adjunct to the "shades of grey" dialogues on here in recent weeks. I think all involved are happy to move on, but I saw this on facebook today, and I think it really does illustrate extremely well how colour/shades can be interpreted by the eye/brain and how light itself plays a key part, in a most fascinating way.

Just blot out that middle layer and hey presto!

Grey-Grey

I recall a photo posted of some Sea King blades by @Ex-FAAWAFU that I think showed a similar effect...........

Anyway, apologies for using your thread in this way, but I thought you folks might find this of interest!

Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From a whitemetal soldering "expert"......

NEVER use a standard soldering iron near anything made of whitemetal (usually pewter nowadays) unless you want it to become an unrecognisable blob. Whitemetal melts at at around 170c, normal irons get to around 450c. 

I have got away with it with very thick parts (about 6-7mm thick) such as running plates and boiler halves on large railway loco's, but would never dream of using a standard iron to attach small detail parts. 

If you want to start soldering whitemetal then i would suggest you invest in a purpose made iron for that purpose, just do a search on t'interweb and many come up and not too expensive (altoughh you will need low melt solder as well don't forget).

Now back to your unregularly unscheduled Sea King.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I have got away with it with very thick parts (about 6-7mm thick) such as running plates and boiler halves on large railway loco's, but would never dream of using a standard iron to attach small detail parts. 

That would explain all - I only ever used it on chunky parts (helmets and stuff like that in 1/35 scale or bigger)

Ciao

Here is a tip for adapting a 25W soldering iron for white metal soldering by wrapping thick copper wire around the tip - found in this book - useful for aircraft white metal parts too

IMG_7084.jpgIMG_7085.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a modelling post, but...

I got the job!!  Not starting for a couple of months, but thanks for all the vibes you’ve been sending...

Hoorah!

• Like 25

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I got the job!!  Not starting for a couple of months, but thanks for all the vibes you’ve been sending...

Hoorah!

Great news, congrats Crisp! :cheers:

Keith (happily retired & although permanently skint, so happy not to ever be involved in job hunting again!) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hoorah!

Hoorah!  :yahoo:

Glad you have that sorted, Crisp :)

Ciao

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hoorah!

Congratulations Crisp - make sure you schedule some time relaxing modelling - BM still needs your EX-FAAWAFU input

CJP

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I got the job!!  Not starting for a couple of months,

Congratulations - make the most of the next couple of months they'll soon pass!

Roger 

Thanks, all.

Original plan was to start in September, but things are changing rapidly - I now start on 9 July.

I have a shed-load of things to do before then, so suspect that my time at the bench will be rather limited.  If that proves to be so, then you'll all have to be patient; I haven't given up, but having had next-to-no income for 2 years, you will understand that work has to take priority.  The Seaking will still be here when the dust settles.

Crisp

• Like 7

Great news Crisp, I'm really glad for you Sir ! 👏

We ARE patient since we are modellers ! So take your time !

Look I only can do some modelling one week over two on account of my job.

Another reason to jump from a build to another one ! 😛

Sincerely.

CC

Late with the congratulations Crisp but most pleased to read your good news just now.

36 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Seaking will still be here when the dust settles.

As will we. 

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:21, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hoorah!

Hearty congrats from the Red Planet! Its about tie someone recognised your abilities.

Delighted of Mars 👽

As long as you are in paid employ who gives a 'wibble' about the model

This is a leisure activity, oft times undertooken during time we ought to have been working and tasting the better for it

I look forwards to the "I did a bit more on the Fruitbat or Scrimbledasher whilst awaiting a vital phone call from abroad, here it i.... oops got to go. Catch up later!" type messages we'll get

Makes everything more intense

Well done sir, by the way your Sea Vixen pieces are winging their way home as we chat, thanks for the borrow

:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 7:48 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Original plan was to start in September, but things are changing rapidly - I now start on 9 July.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:26 PM, TheBaron said:

Late with the congratulations Crisp but most pleased to read your good news just now.

Even later with the congratulations Crisp - but likewise glad to hear it.  I expect there’ll be an inexcusable absence from BM for a while now :whistle::blush:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3