Return of the King - Seaking HAS5 ZE419 of 820NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1988

Back to the bench after a bit of a job frenzy week (through to final interview on 4 June, so all your good wishes helped last week!).

Having (thanks to @andyf117's work) ascertained that my previous attempt at the blade slinging marks was wrong, I decided to do them in a different way.  This time I sprayed the top sides a very pale grey (XF-19 Sky Grey 50:50 XF-2 White), and the undersides XF-24 Dark Grey.  Now I have masked them with my beloved Aizu tape (1mm this time), in preparation for spraying both sides of the blade the same colour, which will be concocted by eye but I suspect won't be a million miles from XF-19 Sky Grey.

I've turned every other blade upside down for the photo, but you get the idea.  My theory is that the apparent darker colour underneath the real blades (about which Andy and I have been disagreeing) is a combination of shadow and exhaust staining - the dark base colour might help as a sort of crude pre-shade to offer the shadow element.  There will also be exhaust staining in due course - plus, of course, the protective metal strip on the leading edge.  For now, however, you are looking at the colours of the stripes...

40583669520_1be3565773_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 8

...and now with the main colour sprayed and masking removed.  Very happy with that.  

40605667180_3344339346_b.jpg

I'll give it a few hours to harden up and then mask again (for the leading edge metal strip).

More soon

Crisp

• Like 16

47 minutes ago, perdu said:

Looks far more ... like it

Will it soon be time for hydraulics?

Oh deep joy

It will.  Weapon wiring first, probably.  

I am also getting ready to fix the (folded) tail in place - though not the tail rotor yet.

Displacement activity, moi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Those blades are looking really good.

Glad to hear your job search is progressing in the right direction, wishing you all the best for June

Roger

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It will.  Weapon wiring first, probably.  

I am also getting ready to fix the (folded) tail in place - though not the tail rotor yet.

Displacement activity, moi?

You? Surely not!

Shocked of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

And... done, I think; leading edge metal strips successfully painted (Vallejo Metal Color, c.⅔ Chrome & ⅓ Magnesium) - hard to photo well, but you get the general idea:

42453345271_c55007923a_c.jpg

During this period of looking closely at references etc for the blades, I've discovered that yellow tips were by no means universal.  The only pic I can find of the airframe I am building, shown at the time I am building it, is this one of ZE419 in Australia 2-3 months after my ditching; this photo has been THE KEY reference for me (for instance, showing the 820 crest just behind the RH pilot's window - not to mention positive evidence that you can clearly see the rivets from well outside the rotor disk!).  It gives me enough confidence to say that this aircraft didn't have yellow tips at that stage.

42453345291_90acac242e_b.jpg

Once all is cured, I'll seal them with a coat of varnish, add some generic blade stencils (actually nicked from an Airfix Lynx AH1), give them a spot of dirtying up (especially with exhaust staining on the underside) and then set them carefully on one side.  

I have also started painting up the weapon wires in preparation for (gasp) yer actual fitting.  So far just a white undercoat, so not worth a photograph - but now some very careful measuring and minute painting in red and yellow sections.

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11

Starting to work my way through snag lists in order to put the fuselage to bed (don't worry; these are not short snag lists!).

First up, the "radome" colour surrounding the six Orange Crop aerials, plus the same stuff on the tailwheel fairing - all needed repainting, since the coat it had was very shabby indeed (as in, RAF BG showing through in places).

The actual aerials (which are the black bits) need the same treatment in due course.  Ditto on the nose pair, but I haven't photographed them.

41735121084_000f275f19_c.jpg

The eagle-eyed among you might notice that I have started the work to fix the tail strake, which has a (non-existent in real life) gap in it.  Since you last saw it the rear portion has grown forwards - more still to do, obvs.

Most of the Orange Crop painting was done freehand with the smallest practical brush that I possess - but one bit (the rubbing strip for the SACRU steadying line inboard of the port sponson) needed masking.  This now needs a bit of RAF BG touching up - there are so many bumps, lumps and protrusions on this section of the aircraft that I am not surprised to see a small leak at the top.  On the whole I'm happy, though.  [Also, a rare view of the few Archers' rivets involved in this build - used to represent the larger screw heads on the access doors into the dog kennel (e.g. on the No 3 Generator 'bump' top right of shot)].

41735122254_9421a78498_c.jpg

The other new thing in this shot is the big white styrene bar across the ECU exhaust.  I have added one of these on either side, because I really don't want there to be any danger of the exhaust blanks slipping inside the cab, to rattle around and never be seen again!

In case you have forgotten (it's been a while), I am talking about the yellow blanks below (the red ones are already glued in place in the intakes).

35675761615_958054fef7_c.jpg

All good stuff....

But just when I thought I had finally seen the back of the main rotor blades, a display of 5* Muppetry on my part: I put one of the recently finished blades down on the desktop without checking that my cutting mat was clear.

It wasn't.  You probably heard the language from where you are!  No biggie - not that hard to fix.  But I wasn't best pleased, all the same.

41735409954_e18529fa4c_c.jpg

This might be my last update for a couple of days; more job hunting stuff, so obviously important.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 17

I hate it when that happens! As you say, easily fixed, but still a pita.

Good luck with the job hunting!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Ah! So that was what was behind the untranslatable Earth words I heard. More crossed tentacles for you Crisp.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing much to show yet, but I thought I would mark a moment that our be-tentacled friend has awaited for a while.  The hydraulic madness has commenced.

Not yet on the rotor head... but this:

27608693357_da589c58e6_c.jpg

27608693787_068928dc91_c.jpg

27608694267_5778221357_c.jpg

[The hydraulic section of the rescue hoist, in case you hadn't gathered...]

More soon

Crisp

• Like 7

The FlightPath winch is superb - one of the real highlights of an excellent conversion set.  However, though it has excellent detail in most respects, it lacks any wires or piping at the rear.  It therefore also lacks anywhere to connect pipes to on the winch housing, so the first step is to fettle a piece of brass shim (using my faithful Tamiya diamond file, which handles PE far better than any other abrasive I possess, plus 3 holes punched with my RP Toolz punch & die set);

40692103570_7e3ecd5564_c.jpg

40692103970_803fa4d43e_c.jpg

[The middle photo of the three I posted yesterday gives the best view of what I am trying to represent here]

The holes are big enough for some of my teeny-tiny resin connectors to fit through, which will give a satisfying amount of apparent complexity but also some strength to the joins.  The winch housing is white metal, so definitely no soldering!

I have also been experimenting with settings on my iPhone camera - specifically, using an App called "Camera+"; these macros are way better than any of my previous iPhone detail shots.

At a wedding tomorrow, but more soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 12

On 01/06/2018 at 21:45, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The winch housing is white metal, so definitely no soldering!

Why not, if I may ask?

If white metal is the same used for figures, I used soldering before on some of them (mostly to repair cracks and holes, admittedly).

Great detailing once again with that brass shim 👏 :worthy:

Ciao