Return of the King - Seaking HAS5 ZE419 of 820NAS, HMS Ark Royal 1988

On 04/04/2018 at 11:42 PM, limeypilot said:

BTW I have heard that "in the Navy" (I now have a horrible song in my head that I can't get rid of), nylon and chain lashings were not restricted to the flight deck......

It's come to my attention that 'the glamour of flight' may be no empty phrase in regard to naval aviation, having seen this equipment up for sale on the 'bay recently:

40109169335_21fdb1487b_o.jpg

Seriously delighted to see you back on deck with this Crisp - not until this was on hiatus did I realize the Sea-King-sized hole in life that it was filling.:clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

They got the wrong caption on that.

It's obviously an emergency heliograph set.

The 'lipstick' is used to write MORPHINE onto the

foreheads of anyone so dosed during the emergency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oi! You lot; this is a Pinger’s thread.  If you want to talk Colostomy Bags, go somewhere else...

Sorry - I'll return to my seat  :popcorn:and pay attention to the main subject at hand.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Weren't they standard issue?

That's my plea in mitigation M'lud.  :smile:

Last night,one of the Prestwick based Coastguard AW189s flew down the loch.

My son commented 'It's not a Sea King is it?'

Correct!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Last night,one of the Prestwick based Coastguard AW189s flew down the loch.

My son commented 'It's not a Sea King is it?'

I annoy the missus every time one of them goes into the local hospital with a comment like 'I do miss those old Seakings, those things aren't a patch on them....'!! :winkgrin:

Keith

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's come to my attention that 'the glamour of flight' may be no empty phrase in regard to naval aviation, having seen this equipment up for sale on the 'bay recently:

40109169335_21fdb1487b_o.jpg

That's not on e-bay, you doctored that photograph to hide the fact that you have been at Crisp's old flight kit again! You don't fool this alien.

Sherlock Martian

• Haha 5

The weapons carriers are now drying - EMRUs in position and painted on all 4; next to add the various PE appendages.

While they're drying, I've turned my attention to a couple of areas that have given me a lot of trouble.  The tail wheel must have been knocked off half a dozen times, so this time I've drilled it and inserted a fairly large brass rod to see if I can keep it on the aircraft for longer than 5 minutes (which should - at least in theory - be made easier by the fact that she's sitting on the wonderful JHmodels frame gizmo rather than her own wheels...).

The other is the tail strake (the only example I know of a deliberately anti-aerodynamic device on an aircraft - its purpose is to break up the downwash on the port side of the tail, so that the entire tail pylon acts as an aerofoil section, thus unloading the tail rotor).  Because of the whole Rivet-Fest thing, I couldn't fit it early on (it wasn't on the earliest Seakings, so the rivet patterns run under it rather than round it), and no matter what I have tried to fix it safely post-paint & rivet, it has always been really fragile; it keeps on falling off without my even touching it.  Worse yet, the Hasegawa plastic strake - even after some pretty drastic filing - is too thick to be convincing.

Since I can't get it to stay in place, I've decided to bite the bullet properly and make a brass strake instead; if I’m going to have to do more drastic things to fix it in place, I may as well make it a good piece.  The FlightPath set includes a PE strake, but in a rare departure from near-perfection for them, the forward half of it is useless.  The rear section is straight, and I'll be using David's offering - but the forward section has to fit around a very curved part of the fuselage, and the FlightPath version doesn't work.  (I actually think that coping with the curve is part of the problem with Hasegawa’s plastic version, too).

So today has seen the first major action for the Old Faithful SIHRSC, namely fettling some brass sheet into the requisite shape.  It's not finished yet, but getting there (and Old Faithful is superb - subtle but effective; thanks Bill!).  

41436116812_cf02fd579d_c.jpg

Not a lot to show you for a couple of hours' work, but all important stuff.  

[You don't need another picture of a Seaking tail wheel; it looks exactly the same as the previous three times it's been "fixed" in position!]

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Uhhh.  Hello !  Is anyone still interested in the actual build?  

The last two pages seem to have been dominated by discussions (neither started by me) of AEW and powder compacts, punctuated by attempts by the model-maker to attract attention with not-subtle posts like “Anyway, back to the model...” and “Oi! This is a Pinger’s thread...”.

If you’d like me to bugger off and start a new thread elsewhere, just let me know.

Harrumph.

[Edit: OK, a bit OTT on the grumpiness (it hasn’t been a good morning, but that’s hardly your fault)... but enough on the powder compacts.  Please!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
Excessive grumpiness
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So today has seen the first major action for the Old Faithful SIHRSC, namely fettling some brass sheet into the requisite shape.

When you get down to small parts, don't ignore the efficacy of a new scalpel blade - score the brass a few times, then a quick fold back and forth will work to separate the pieces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hendie said:

When you get down to small parts, don't ignore the efficacy of a new scalpel blade - score the brass a few times, then a quick fold back and forth will work to separate the pieces.

That was how I separated it in the first place.  But now it needs to be filed to the right curve, which means file, test fit, repeat & fade.

• Like 2

Gradual progress is, I'm afraid, the order of the day - as it always is when you are dealing with little details (and especially ones which involve lots of pieces of PE!).  

The weapon carriers are still coming along nicely, but not worth photographing again yet, so today you will have to settle for two other areas:

1.  The strake is 50% done, with the fitting of the rear section of the PE version: a major improvement to my eyes (though maybe not to yours, since I'm not sure I ever showed you what we are comparing this with!)

40651249315_db5407c131_c.jpg

2.  The I-Band transponder (also regularly knocked off in the past, so I have taken the opportunity to paint it rather better than before).  It will be re-ftted tomorrow:

40832838334_c83aec2d83_c.jpg

Oh, and one of the rear weapon carriers with a new NO STEP transfer (upside down in this photo - it really does say NO STEP, honest!).

27674353908_fec73e8420_c.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 14

I didn't follow the first installment of this build, but from that tail section I can figure the amount of work that went into detailing it :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked: :gobsmacked:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

it really does say NO STEP, honest!)

Are you sure? Looks like 'PETS ON' to me....:whistle::D

Could I just add Crisp, that I wish to agree with all the comments above as to just how good your fiddly details look !!

Keith

• Haha 1

I suspect those details look even more impressive in the flesh when you're able to move around them in three dimensions, rather than a flat image.

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

though maybe not to yours, since I'm not sure I ever showed you what we are comparing this with!)

What does one compare perfection with Crisp? :D