A Mojo Restoring Interlude

This is probably as good as I'm going to get it:

MostlyThere

The two triangular panels connecting the bonnet to the fighting compartment were a pig to clean up and blend in and they are still not perfect, but I've reached the point where I will damage other areas (the peak of the bonnet is already blurrier than it should be) if I do any more work on it.  :rolleyes:

So.....Details!  :nerd:

While the kit's instructions are mostly useless, the drawings that decorate the box top are extremely useful on this front.....Quite a lot to be done, first up, pistol ports.  :frantic:

PS - @Old pro  Maybe we should update the OTW! entry for this kit to point out the existence of this earlier 'pre-detail' version?  If I'd realised the difference before starting I'd have taken some pictures of the sprues.  :shrug:

• Like 3

There is so much that needs updating at OTW, outdated comparisons, incorrect reviews, unfortunately I have nothing to do with it nowadays due to differences! Which is sort of a shame, sad that for me it has become nothing more than a reference point for anything WW2 and German! Still it has its uses but is in dire need of an overhaul😀

• Sad 1

That's a shame.....I've got a good sized photo booth with lighting, an excellent camera and a couple of hundred kits they don't yet cover in any real detail, mostly ones that you would be very familiar with.  :confused:

I bet I have all the same😂😂😂 hold that thought though, lately I have been thinking about restarting, especially after buying some real duds because the reviews weren't accurate, I don't expect perfect kits, just something I can work with but it would be nice to know, if I can work with it ( or use it just for parts), just in the process of rebuilding the rear of the BMP 3, a perfectly acceptable kit, I have built a few without changing too much, just that the version I'm building now the errors stick out like a sore thumb.

14 hours ago, Old pro said:

I bet I have all the same😂😂😂 hold that thought though, lately I have been thinking about restarting, especially after buying some real duds because the reviews weren't accurate, I don't expect perfect kits, just something I can work with but it would be nice to know, if I can work with it ( or use it just for parts), just in the process of rebuilding the rear of the BMP 3, a perfectly acceptable kit, I have built a few without changing too much, just that the version I'm building now the errors stick out like a sore thumb.

I think that is the attitude of many, many model-makers. I'd much rather know 'issues' with a kit before I buy it, that way it's more of an informed choice. I used to buy several model magazines until they turned into trade magazines with no kit ever having real problems. The last kit I brought unseen was the last straw. Three separate reviews in magazines (costing me 14GBP) all failed to mention any errors with the 2 seater HB Forger VTOL kit. Upon opening the box it took me all of twenty seconds to see the tail was too short and less than 5 minutes to confirm it. It was only then that I noticed none of the reviews showed the rear fuselage (all concentrating on the new front end). 

Your build is looking pretty good Sarge. If you want a really nice build get a HB 1/48 KV kit and some etch grilles (all you really NEED to replace).

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2018 at 6:51 AM, Old pro said:

Jesus! That's more models than my local model shop😂😂😂😂

Kits for the next incarnation Sarge? :hmmm:Good idea :idea:

Great build, by the way...

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Quite a lot of fettling will be required before I can attempt to add all the details that I didn't get (note that all the details featured on the putative 'new tool' version are shown on my instructions, but as you can see my parts are almost entirely blank).....This one is turning into a bit of a challenge, it feels kind of like I'm building a high-quality but low-tech cottage industry kit which someone has nicked all the etched brass and resin from!  :unsure:

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So.....Details!  :nerd:

While the kit's instructions are mostly useless, the drawings that decorate the box top are extremely useful on this front.....Quite a lot to be done, first up, pistol ports.  :frantic:

I very recently discovered that the details for my little Ford TfC are available separately, from Part, so I ordered some and they arrived today:

152530-10000-pristine.jpg

Fold your own turret (14-17) and roll your own Maxim (20-33).....Blimey, talk about going from one extreme to the other!  :o

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I very recently discovered that the details for my little Ford TfC are available separately, from Part, so I ordered some and they arrived today:

152530-10000-pristine.jpg

Fold your own turret (14-17) and roll your own Maxim (20-33).....Blimey, talk about going from one extreme to the other!  :o

Well that should make rather a difference!

• Like 1

I forsee some swearing in my not too distant future.  :unsure:

Having said that, I've just added the Part sets for the ICM 1/72 Model T MMGS & Ambulance to my wishlist.....They're great value (from Jadar) and the kits are proper little gems, not much bigger than a 50p piece!  B)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I forsee some swearing in my not too distant future.  :unsure:

Having said that, I've just added the Part sets for the ICM 1/72 Model T MMGS & Ambulance to my wishlist.....They're great value (from Jadar) and the kits are proper little gems, not much bigger than a 50p piece!  B)

In a nutshell, there is the reason I moved into 1/48 scale :D Agree about Jadar great prices and great service.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Been a while, restoration is still under way:

BTR-60-57 001

Utterly unfettered by any restriction of reality, purely for fun & (insignificant) stash reduction.....One ICM 1/72 BTR-60 & PSC 1/72 57mm AT Gun (mostly) off the list, so many more still on it!  :rolleyes:

Still a fair bit to do, somehow have to figure out how to make the lightguards.....Does anyone make an etch set for this kit?  I can't find one (TBH I wouldn't use one on this thing either, but I would do on the ICM 1/72 BTR-60PB and copying the lightguards would defintely be easier).

• Like 5

Going to try a slightly more ambitious BTR-60 conversion for my next project, the bits are in hand and I'm sizing up how best to fit this:

spacer.png

Into the BTR-60 hull in a slightly more permanent fashion than the 57mm Portee above.....I've a mind to follow this Cuban design, cutting (more or less) along the line of the bottom of the hull side doors:

spacer.png

That's a much heftier twin 57mm AA gun.....TBH I've always wondered why more BTR-60s didn't get this sort of treatment (hence these models, I guess), they can clearly handle the payload (an enlarged T-55 turret is another Cuban option), although it might get a bit 'exciting' once they start firing I suppose!  :winkgrin:

PS - This is all still for the Fragmentistan thing mentioned right at the start of this thread.....I've got a few more BTR-152s to do, one of which will be converted into a 120mm mortar carrier (using another Zvezda QB set) and I'm probably going to give them an old (Eastern-Express) T-34/85 too.  The model's part built, it was going to be for my WWII stuff, but newer & better 1/72 T-34 kits have arrived in droves since I started messing with it (which says quite a lot about my build rate).

PPS - Forgot to say (twice) that everything is only dry-fitted in the image above.  The fit of this old kit is much better than I expected, but the wheels are just horrible.....Out of the box their diameter is signifcantly too large and they can only be assembled in one identical orientation (as you can see in my picture).  I have aftermarket replacements for my BTR-60PB, but for this mutant I just went a bit mental with the coarse-rasp, I'll worry about their orientation later!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

That Cuban jobbie proves that not all mad model-makers work on scale models. Bonkers but strangely compelling...

They make some great stuff.....Absolute kitbasher's wet-dream:

brdm-120-image01.jpg

_i_jsCYB4Grel8hBY5RNzkpzpn5vbu-1ywWJQ1Le

b37ec59efce56f30c226a904e1771564.jpg

bmp-1-100-image03.jpg

s-75-t55-image02.jpg

However if I were to make any of those they'd have to go in my 'proper thread' for 'proper modelling'.....TBH I ain't up to that just yet!  :winkgrin:

• Like 2

On 1/30/2021 at 9:27 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

They make some great stuff.....Absolute kitbasher's wet-dream:

However if I were to make any of those they'd have to go in my 'proper thread' for 'proper modelling'.....TBH I ain't up to that just yet!  :winkgrin:

You are not wrong. What-If? is proper modelling not just kit assembly. You have to design it yourself, then work out how to build it, then carve a lump of filler to the shape you need ;)

Use Cuban pattern light guards. A strip of pie tray foil would work nicely I'd think.