A Mojo Restoring Interlude

After struggling with my UM Shermans in the GB, I needed to build something fast, without much worrying about its accuracy or the need to add detail.....I knocked this up last night:

#1 MidBuild

Note the subtle & high-tech tools I've been using.

It's an old (green box) ICM re-pop of the venerable Omega-K 1/72 BTR-152.....This one was intended to be built as the BTR-152S command variant, but the parts for that need a lot of work to look presentable (the exact opposite of what I'm after here) and command vehicles aren't much use as anything other than set-dressing on the wargames table.  Hence I've built it as an open topped gun-truck, it will have not one, but two LMGs, mounted on the side pintles and any & all stowage discarded as unsuitable for my Shermans is likely to be at least contemplated here.  ;)

This is the first of four of these, the next will be another open topped gun-truck, but that one will be getting a DShK HMG for the front mount.  I also have two kits of the K version with a closed top, these will be even quicker builds than the first pair, they will receive a single LMG each.  All of these are being built for my 'Fragmentistan' Rebel Forces, a band of some thirty Soviet deserters, Jihadists, tribal malcontents and smugglers who've been raising hell somewhere in the Soviet-Asian hinterands (in an alternative mid-late 70s) - Customised CoC Ruleset).  :ninja:

Once these are done I'll start on the platoon of Soviets who've been sent to deal with them.  :fight:

• Like 5

You wouldn't like these much fella, they are dreadful kits.....Just about fit for the wargaming table.  :unsure:

I once had ambitions of mating one of these kits with the ACE 1/72 ZPU-23-2 AA Gun to create the version seen in Lebanon, but I can't find the ACE kit and TBH, now that I've seen them in the plastic, the thought of bringing one of these things and an ACE tool together fills me with dread.....No knowing what kind of abomination might spawn from such an unholy union!  :analintruder:

The first one is built:

#1 Built

• Like 2

Another one for 'Sgt.Squarehead's Blitz-Build Selection'.....This for entirely different reasons:

HorridLittleKit

S-Model 1/72 T-40S.....Built it tonight while waiting for other things to dry.  :frantic:

Typical lousy S-Model kit, quick-build quality (but rather nicely moulded), comes with an utterly pointless etch fret of truly silly parts, which fit rather poorly on the turret.  :mental:

I've promised the other kit from the box to @badger (for his sins) and this was the easiest way to split up the etch fret.  :rolleyes:

PS - Ben.....The headlights are handed, I don't recall if the instructions point this out, but they are, so be careful which you try to fit where.  The instructions don't mention the tail-light at all, but it's included on the sprue and I presume it should have one (the sole example built is still at Kubinka if you are interested, I didn't care enough to check TBH, mine has one, end of).  You also need (I believe) to hack out the prop mount from the tunnel and fit the (stupid) etch blanking plate centered on the drive shaft.....The instructions do tell you this (again, I believe) but only in Chinese.  :unsure:

PPS - The gun.....You are gonna ******* love the gun!  It seems kind of underscale for a 20mm cannon and there are multiple massive mounting points to the sprue, you can probably already guess how this story ends.  :wall:  TBH if S-Model really wanted to impress with this kit, what they should have done was include a turned gun barrel, instead of the stupid etch fret (nothing that's on it couldn't have been either moulded on the surface or included as a seperate plastic part).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sarge

Thanks for the tips - I look "forward" to having a play. I kind of like S-Model kits in a masochistic way- they are fairly nicely moulded and build ok, as well as an unusual range of subjects. The problem is they seem to not be too sure of what they are offering - are they wargames kits (one piece running gear)? or static models (weird use of etch and sometimes metal barrels)?

I'll probably replace the tracks and have a play at some scratch detailing. Wikipedia tells me they were only armed with a 12.7mm machine gun, so that might be why the gun seems small (so long as Wikipedia are correct :idea:).

Thanks again

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badger said:

Wikipedia tells me they were only armed with a 12.7mm machine gun, so that might be why the gun seems small

Nah, that's the production T-40.....This is a T-40S, a one-off non-amphibious example armed with a 20mm cannon, it's a kind of half-way step to the T-60:

Here's the real one at Kubinka:

1200px-T40kub1.jpg

I believe the vehicle to the right is regular T-40 with the DShK.

Hence my comment in our PM about a man can only ever need 'so many' (ie: one) T-40S kits.  ;)

• Like 1

Aha - thanks for clearing that up Sarge - Soviet vehicles (especially the odder ones), are not something I'm overly knowledgeable on :pardon:

Replacing the tracks on this one will mean a lot of work, you will have to actually conncect all the suspension arms to the hull, the return-rollers too.....You'll see soon, hopefully within 48hrs max.  ;)

Another one on Sgt.Squarehead's 'not really recommended unless you are desperate to have one' list.....That's quite a big list these days.  :rolleyes:

PS - it's just occurred to me that one of the etch parts S-Model would have you fit is something that looks suspiciously like a trim-vane.....There doesn't seem to be one on the real example, but then why would there be?  It's not bloody amphibious is it?  So what would it possibly need one for?  :whistle:

S-Model got me again!  :doh:

• 3 months later...

Expect this to be built shortly:

Box

Possibly the most oversized box for its contents ever:

Contents

But still kind of a cool kit all the same (even if it does lack a few any rivets).  ;)

• Like 4

That looks an interesting kit.

Not had much experience with RPM so be intrigued to follow this one

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

It's a teensy weensy little dog (think old Military Wheels or even older ACE)!  :rolleyes:

Have a chassis:

TfCChassis

Fit by guesswork.....I'm letting the glue set up while I clean up the wheels, hopefully I can get it to sit flat using those (I will turn the front wheels once it does), anything more than that is probably wishful thinking.  :unsure:

You'll find a review of a later boxing at OTW!, here:  http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/RPM/fordtfcprev.htm

Build here:  http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/RPM/AlMagnus_RPM_Ford_Tfc.htm

Check out the instructions!  :o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm letting the glue set up while I clean up the wheels, hopefully I can get it to sit flat using those

So as it turns out even that was wishful thinking, the front 'axles' are very vague, no way was temporarily dry-fitting the wheels an option, so in the end it was easier just to glue it all together as a single assembly.  :rolleyes:

I'll twist it to shape with brute force later:

TfCChassis2

The highly detailed part in front of the chassis is the kit's muffler, moulded in two halves for maximum fidelity!  :o

PS - The damned MG is missing.....Doesn't look like it was ever present TBH:doh:

• Sad 2

It seems this amazing kit has been retooled at some point since the release of the version I'm building:

HPIM1913-757826.JPG

Look at the superb hatch, hinge and pistol-port detail on the example above.....Exactly none of this is present on my example, as you will see shortly!  :mellow:

I suspect the reason there was no gun in my kit is that back in the days it was made such a part would have been beyond the capabilities of the moulds, what with the barrel being off centre and all.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Great progress so far Sarge despite the "interesting" instructions and basic parts.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of it

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

You do seem to have a masochistic streak a mile wide Sarge. Do you ever buy anything remotely mainstream? 

One day you'll get something that can be built by mere mortals. This armoured car may even be THE one :D

On 4/4/2018 at 4:12 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - it's just occurred to me that one of the etch parts S-Model would have you fit is something that looks suspiciously like a trim-vane.....There doesn't seem to be one on the real example, but then why would there be?  It's not bloody amphibious is it?  So what would it possibly need one for?  :whistle:

S-Model got me again!  :doh:

Err....well....umm....cough  the T-40 could pretend to be a tiny battleship. Sorry.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Do you ever buy anything remotely mainstream? 

One or two fella, one or two:

WWIIStashModernand35thStashHidden48thand32ndStash

And those pictures are like, so last week.....It's grown by at least a dozen since they were taken!  :mental:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Here's where I'm at now:

ActualDetailsMayDiffer

I know these things are usually riveted together, but mine has been welded!  ;)

Quite a lot of fettling will be required before I can attempt to add all the details that I didn't get (note that all the details featured on the putative 'new tool' version are shown on my instructions, but as you can see my parts are almost entirely blank).....This one is turning into a bit of a challenge, it feels kind of like I'm building a high-quality but low-tech cottage industry kit which someone has nicked all the etched brass and resin from!  :unsure:

Quick morale boosting mock-up at close of play today:

MoraleBooster1

• Like 3

And if it stalls, someone has to get out in the middle of the battle & crank it over!

It does have a crude appeal, however. Good of you to rescue it from obscurity.

As for the stash pic's. I see your problem. Not enough wingy things. And, not a single spaceship. Tsk! For shame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

One or two fella, one or two:

And those pictures are like, so last week.....It's grown by at least a dozen since they were taken!  :mental:

Jesus H Christ on a bike.

Looks like the little armoured car is recognising it's pitiful condition and accepting your loving care and attention. Nice work.

You need spaceships and aircraft though. I've brought 2 kits in the last few days the 1/48 Eagle transporter and a 1/48 3-D printed P1214-3 which may be an equal challenge to anything S-Model has done. Mad? That'll be two of us :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old pro said:

Jesus! That's more models than my local model shop😂😂😂😂

If you're talking about Gee Dee then you're right. I'm in Long Eaton and remember the Skills shop in the arcade by the library. Mike at Clifton Curios is pretty excellent if you fancy a weekend run to Breedon On the Hill. Lovely café there as well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And, not a single spaceship. Tsk! For shame.

I completely forgot about those fellows.....They're in the drawers under my bed (small ones) and the attic (big ones).  ;)

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Mad? That'll be two of us :D

I suspect there's a few more of us than that!  :P

40 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Taxi! Follow those loonies!

Reckon we might need a bus for everyone!  :cheers:

Nothing to show right now, I'm currently attempting to restore the boxy shape and fill all the horrible gaps with Milliput and CA.....Photos when it's done, if it works!  :pray:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

If you're talking about Gee Dee then you're right. I'm in Long Eaton and remember the Skills shop in the arcade by the library. Mike at Clifton Curios is pretty excellent if you fancy a weekend run to Breedon On the Hill. Lovely café there as well

Didn't even know it was there! Other side of the Trent to me, walking distance as the crow flies, two buses if not, and a long detour through the city if driving, Might have to buy a boat 😂😂😢😢

• Haha 1