11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Are you going to "remove" those rivets?

Nah don’t think so. Too delicate an operation at this stage.  Will put this one down to experience, and correct on future builds. 

I have been messing around with the anti glare panel though 😏

Looking back through pics of this jet I have made it too blunt. Needs ‘cutting back’ to make it more pointy... 

Mods to glare panel - 

As mentioned above wasn’t ‘pointy’ enough. So made a rough template to cut it back then went and spot masked along the edges to blend the curve. 

0_C0_C9_E9_D-02_A5-40_BF-_A440-_FCEA72_E

547_D7_B64-202_A-439_A-8_D55-7_A214_EEF5

BFE751_A2-_F8_DE-4903-9_BE8-54_D72_A0606

C73_C963_F-6393-410_D-_AF19-_B06_BB3_BEE

Much happier now. Which is always a good thing. 

Next is a gloss to seal it all in ready for the decals. 

Also been painting the exhaust nozzles too. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

That's looking great Tony. I'm going to have to try that Maskol technique on my next project.

Surprised you've got time to be on here this morning, I admire your dedication mate. 🤣

Yes mate its Troop day. Did that update whilst on the coach journey from Windsor to London 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yes mate its Troop day. Did that update whilst on the coach journey from Windsor to London 😁

It's bad weather up here so there won't be much going on as far as work goes which means I'll be able to watch. 👍

Exhausts - 

Insides done first. Base white to prime. Added a touch of sail to the insignia white to tan it up a bit. 

7_C7314_C7-1_BBC-4_B81-_BD05-6006_F22_D9

Oustsides - Resin primer then 1500 black. 

E774_BE40-_ED94-4_C1_E-_B6_E7-78_B55_AFE

1_C0094_EE-2_C18-4_F38-_B4_D4-9_CE68_B83

AK xtreme Titanium overall then some misting of thinned purple, blue and burnt metal.  

59_A5_FFB9-_A221-4626-83_D6-847_CCCDFD92

Next some petals were made to look like new or add variation with Pale burnt metal. 

383_DC575-7_DA7-4578-_AC1_F-3_F2900_BA4_

Insides getting some additional details -

most GE nozzles the white ceramic ends up looking 

all dirty like this from use:

B4929_B42-_DC11-47_B4-97_DF-_C5_A8_C9360

However this Reaper had some replacements on the inside. 

Using this pic and one from the other side I’m 90% sure of the pattern in the pair of nozzles

A312_EC80-3208-44_B3-_AA94-_A8_DE7_DD418

So out with some tape and foam -

EE2_AE221-_DE44-4_DB3-85_E1-6_E1_F903_AE

Sprayed a dark dirty brown colour using 50/50 mix of AK xtreme jet exhaust and burnt metal - didn’t do them all to the same darkeness either. Some washes next and these will be about there. Need to mask and spray the rub overlap areas on the outsides. Although I may have some decals for this from an Astra F-16 sheet... 

76_C2_A385-4_CAA-40_A3-_ADBC-844_EFF8140

C231803_C-1_E05-45_C7-8_FF2-6_FAF6_FD374

Lastly, 

The carbon fibre shrouds on this jet are in quite good condition, with the lacquer/epoxy clean and shiny/polished. Sometimes on others they can be scuffed and faded to a matt dark grey.

I tried a couple ways first to get that dark metallic but slightly yellow/brown tone of the epoxy resin. 

One of them was:

black primer, them misted on AK xtreme metallic smoke to make it look like carbon, then finally tamiya clear yellow to give that depth of a resin coating effect. It looked too coarse and overdone for 1/72. May work better in 1/48th? Didn’t keep any pics of this. 

Anyways messed around some more trying some other paint layers to no avail, so stripped them all back, reprimed then went for straight AK jet exhaust, a very dark, almost black, metallic brown whic looks fine for carbon. 

.4_A81_D538-_D330-4_D0_B-_AD98-90_B73_B0_

Thanks for looking.  

• Like 7

Decals on! 

Tried to match as best I could to the pics online of the real plane, as some of the positions on the placement guide were off. 

Mainly with the navy’s and placement & amount of turbine warning stripe.  Also there are no ‘beware of blast’ on insides of nacelles, and the red, not black parts on inside of ventral fins. Lastly also added canopy closing and stab level marks. 

EB06_AE1_B-_A2_C2-4_C52-897_A-53_A963892

0_AA1_C042-083_D-4618-9117-46_FB933_C39_

Had to center the tail decals and then trim both the rudder back edge and along front panel line with a fresh blade once semi dry. To me the leading edge portion of these finemolds tails is too large. 

FE41_BC1_D-2_C36-4_AD9-_BD92-327_EC3_FCB

The rudder edge tore off too much when trimming and became jagged on the other side. Once dry I sanded it smooth with some 4000 cloth then used some mr color Insignia red C327 to repair and blend. 

AC66_DF18-_A250-4_BBA-_A13_D-08_A2_DA9_E

Decals have now been sealed ready for some panel line washes. 

However busy getting side tracked starting to rework details (newer tricks I have learnt with the kits) and markings of some of my first hobbyboss tomcats now that I have access to more decals etc. Also trying to incorporate some of my latest resin work. Will update that thread in due course. 

Cheers for now. 

• Like 6

Nothing new really to report for this one. Been busy with other stuff. Not going to make the deadline with this build I think, never mind the pair. 

One thing I have done is recast those helmets I modded for the pilots to match the reference pic.  Quite pleased. 

312_AF326-_C9_AE-4_FBE-84_CD-77_FDCD8262

3_E663956-_C6_A9-4358-935_D-52_BD9_C0_A8

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 3

Hi Tony have been away and just catching up. Amazing work you are doing there and those afterburner cans are brilliant. I think those VF Decals were printed by Microscale.

Robert

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s official, after several emails with pictures and explanations, I have permission from Eduard to sell my modded resin exhausts. (The end nozzle is from their brassin f-16 bit, so was worried about copyright)

So now its a case of getting the petal decals for these sorted. Also along with a few other things, currently having my own tomcat scheme decal sheet commissioned, then these will be in an eBay shop with some other resin bits too. (Finemolds specific and other general tomcat stuff) 

Hopefully by the end of summer/beginning of autumn. 

Laters

• Like 3

Another Finemolds thing I have been working on. 

Pallet inserts/bombracks. 

So the pallets as they come in the kit have a depression in them as per the real thing. In the kit you get an insert with the correct detail to depict an ‘empty’ pallet with no Phoenix missile fitted. 

When you buy the their stand alone weapons set, you get a different insert with larger pins designed to mount their missile on. 

To make a bombcat: 

The only decent bombracks really available are the ones in the hasegawa weapons set. These aren’t as deep as the real things, and they are designed to sit flush on the flat faced pallets in the hasegawa kits. (Pallets are the same style in hboss and fujimi kits too)

So what I have done is mounted a pair of pylons to some box strip to make masters to fit in the finemolds pallets, using the daco book as reference. 

During the work the pylons had some details enhanced, sink marks filled and injection mold seam removed too. 

When cut from the pour stub they are pretty much a perfect fit after a touch of sanding and sit at the correct level in the pallets. 

The pictures should explain the rest. Here they are being fitted to the ‘open panels for maintenance’ tps bird of this build pair. 

From left to right: 

The raw casts, one cut off its stub next to kit pallet, one fitted. 

FAD38_BA0-5_C73-450_E-9_DE2-65_CFC6_A8_E

Here they are both on the kit. 

50677_EE4-1371-4_CCA-8_BE1-_F19_EAF796_A

I am also working on a generic one size fits all type of lantirn pod with decals and pylon to be released with these bomb racks as a stand alone bomb cat update set for any kit. For hgwa/hboss/fuj people they will just need to cut the bombracks off higher from the stubs to suit those kits’ pallets. 

Also as seen/used in the hboss thread, here are the finemolds gear doors. This is a set with the fronts from the A kit.

All pin and sink marks removed. 

I will offer an ‘A’ set, and then an A plus/B/D set. Difference between them being the nose gear doors included.  

Casts:

21_A9_F37_B-_BA36-4516-80_B0-0_A8_C60023

Removed and cleaned up:

EA927_A41-_A3_CD-4_E0_F-_ABBE-1081316_E5

Bye for now. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Nice work Tony. How do you find the Mig washes?

Yeah good Dave. Been using them for a few years now. 

As with all washes - a good shake, apply over a gloss surface then remove excess when dry. 

Also being enamel you can blend and feather too with a white spirit dampened brush when removing the excess. 

Tony

• Like 1

Progress on the weathering - 

Here is what the nose area and a wing looks like after the medium grey overall base wash has been removed. 

The nose was fairly clean in the pics but the wings and uppers very patchy and dirty. So glad that the black basing is still quite visible on the wings. On the back you can just see where I have started to apply a darker wash to areas to increase the contrast with the maskol post shade ‘touch ups’ and add dirt. 

0_E8_F3513-5417-4_BC7-_ACB4-_A5_EFC30_CE

FE4_D5_F96-1_A7_E-4_CDD-_B201-_CEABDF0_F

Here is a close up of the darker wash being applied as mentioned above, concentrating on the back. 

Also things like sparrow belly slots and grills/vents were darkened too to add depth. 

0_C2_A3376-45_FE-4_B93-_A1_DC-_CED3_F026

4350_F4_B6-1_CE5-4741-9949-18_E75_AAD97_

B2_F42_DA6-8379-4088-_A8_C7-0_C7_AC6_EFF

And here it is removed. 

6_D4_BB4_B5-5923-409_B-_B2_EE-_DB302286_

CC9_E2151-_A5_DF-41_C0-_A56_A-_F290_B71_

Wings on for overall effect. Needs a satin coat now. 
EB7_DADC8-_E1_F0-441_D-_B10_A-3_DD73_FD6

The wing sweeps need more work but they are most likely going to be swept back in the vignette I have planned for it. 

And the real thing :

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5615347

Also U\C bits been done - a light grey overall, then a darker grey on the bolts of the legs and for the doors - black on the red to add depth/ dirt and also a cheat to tidy up the borders between the white and red. 

3439_E6_D9-_EC76-46_FF-9_EDD-_B093777_DE

EF795_DFE-89_F4-4_F06-_B4_E0-_C965_A85_C

Also the still undecided tps finemolds hull is being used to start posing the crew. 

No advance on the RIO since he was used as a master to make more, but the pilot (a recast) has now had his left arm on the sill as best as I could get to match the pic where the RIO is waving the flag. The shoulder was cut back and the forearm/hand had some hot water to manipulate it.  It’s drying now then his armpit needs packing out tomorrow.  

E85_B65_B7-6_FB6-4_DC1-905_A-_C58_EE98_E

Bye for now and thanks for looking. 

• Like 6

Because I don’t get distracted easily, some time ended up on the tps plane of the pair. 

Probably a renewed interest because I used it to start posing the crew for the Reaper as mentioned in the last post. 

Anyways it had all those final little jobs done that you always put off and is ready for primer now. Hoping it will talk to me as say what scheme it wants to be. 

Only a choice of a few for a D anyways and even less when taking into account some of the late/bombcat features. 

Answers/suggestions on a postcard please. 

7_A19_AAC0-2_C28-4693-88_C4-_D09_BD3_F83

C5012_CAF-_F58_C-46_C9-_AEBE-3_FFC88_DC1

E516_E301-483_F-4_BFC-99_B4-5_EF71_BD02_

Bye for now!

• Like 3