Dirty Canopies

The_Lancaster

Hey guys,

Do excuse me if this is in an interestingly wrong section but the subject is rather broad. My models are stored in the room in which I model as there's no where else to really store them unfortunately. As you may know there's a lot of dirt, dust and stray paint particles thrown about in the average modelling den and because of this crisp, clear canopies are no more.The canopies look generically dusty, but I was fooled into a false sense of security before finding the stuff on them is stuck good. Before I wade in there with the big guns, I was wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks in restoring the sparkle to the canopies of these models? As I said, they just look dusty and dirty, so I'm just curious as to what voodoo you guys use to get yours clean again.

Thanks

Sam :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Spray on glass cleaner!

Decant some into a container and apply with cotton buds.

Brings transparencies up as good as new, and it can be used to clean the whole model.

Never noticed any interaction with paint cotes.

If that cleaner contains ammonia, it'll happily strip many acrylic paints, so use with caution.

My solution to dirty canopies is to simply never finish the model, which keeps the whole shebang in the box and hence dust free!

• Haha 6

On 4/3/2018 at 4:33 PM, The_Lancaster said:

what voodoo you guys use

:D

Cotton bud dipped in a weak sugar soap solution.

Have a hunt around ebay or Amazon for the smaller harder pointed cotton buds, they are much better to use.

A spray bottle of ready mixed sugar soap is also handy to have around for wiping down the workbench now and then.

Mart

• 3 months later...

I´m a bit late here...

WD-40 works great on transparent parts.

Spray some on a cotton bud and wipe away the grime.

WD-40 also works to remove the tack that gets left over after masking canopies.

• 1 month later...