Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Dreadnought

Xenol

Well, it had to happen some time, I've decided to try my hand at making ships! Currently reading Massie's 'Castles of Steel' (fantastic book as is it's prequel 'Dreadnought') which has really got me in a nautical mood. 

Jumped on this kit because it's an important vessel, in a scale I can fit on my desk, which also includes some photoetch - (something I've only ever used pre-printed for cockpit panels and seatbelts on aircraft before) decide the best way to get some proper experience is with a cheap set like this instead of splurging on a very comprehensive set.

Expecting this build to be full of mistakes but a good learning experience. Any basic advice for the hurdles I'm likely to run into on this endeavour?

Thanks muchly,

Sam

The forward 12 pounder guns just behind the anchor chains on the forecastle,  only put the two guns on the starboard side as the port guns were never fitted ( Trumpeter's error ) and a metal blanking plate on the deck where the guns are shown to be fitted. Fill those two holes with putty. Master makes a couple of turned metal barrel sets for both the 12 inch primary guns and 12 pounder secondary guns ( SM-700-043 and SM-700-044 ) of which are better than the overly large injection moulded parts in the kit. Eduard do a photo-etched set, but it for the 1915 edition and not exact for the 1907 version.

Edited by Mick4350

21 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

The forward 12 pounder guns just behind the anchor chains on the forecastle,  only put the two guns on the starboard side as the port guns were never fitted ( Trumpeter's error ) and a metal blanking plate on the deck where the guns are shown to be fitted. Fill those two holes with putty. Master makes a couple of turned metal barrel sets for both the 12 inch primary guns and 12 pounder secondary guns ( SM-700-043 and SM-700-044 ) of which are better than the overly large injection moulded parts in the kit. Eduard do a photo-etched set, but it for the 1915 edition and not exact for the 1907 version.

Thanks for the advice Mick - out of curiosity, how much work do you think would be needed to take the whole thing to a passable 1915 spec? Just a matter of curiosity more than intention.

49 minutes ago, Xenol said:

Thanks for the advice Mick - out of curiosity, how much work do you think would be needed to take the whole thing to a passable 1915 spec? Just a matter of curiosity more than intention.

I am not sure about that conversion, but think you should buy Trumpeters 1915 version # 06705 as it has another different sprue, G that replaces D. I guess you could rebuild it, but they have released the kit in three versions, 1907, 1915 and 1918.

3 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

I am not sure about that conversion, but think you should buy Trumpeters 1915 version # 06705 as it has another different sprue, G that replaces D. I guess you could rebuild it, but they have released the kit in three versions, 1907, 1915 and 1918.

Ah, that makes sense - Mine is the 1907 version which Is what I intend to make - I was just asking more because someday I'd like to recreate the U-boat ramming incident in plastic haha.