Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon

Geoffrey Williams

Hi modellers,                                                                                                                                                                in A few weeks I will be making my yearly trip from New Zealand to Duxford. For a while I have been working on Airfix’s 1/24 Typhoon IB, a project I will only do once, the demand being that I get as right as possible.  Again, I will study the aircrafts cockpit, forward wing fuel tank, photos and other bits and pieces. As the war ended 72 years ago it is sad that there are none of the aircraft crew around to answer my questions. That being the case I know I’m in the right place because many of you will have the expert knowledge to guide me.

1.   1,    The leading wing tank is sheaved in a black anti-leak and studded envelope (Duxford). I thought the colour should be a darkish red? And what about the colour of the main wing tank – red or black?

2.     2.   Models I have seen show the colour of the forward undersides of cannon bay covers ranging from a chromate yellow to brown? Were they ever painted or lined? If so why? I thought saving weight was all important.

3.      3.  The structural framing at the bottom of the cannon bays is shown as yellowish, perhaps chromate yellow? Again, is this right, why wasn’t it done in interior green or just left natural metal/silver? 

4.     4.  I want to paint all the roundels, so, how do I find the correct colours? Do I have to mix them myself?

Looking forward to your replies.

Best regards

Geoff Williams

44 minutes ago, Geoffrey Williams said:

2.   Models I have seen show the colour of the forward undersides of cannon bay covers ranging from a chromate yellow to brown? Were they ever painted or lined? If so why? I thought saving weight was all important.

3.      3.  The structural framing at the bottom of the cannon bays is shown as yellowish, perhaps chromate yellow? Again, is this right, why wasn’t it done in interior green or just left natural metal/silver? 

Typhoon_R8656_257_sq_FM_L_warmwell_1943.

from

please note comments by @Chris Thomas

Well, you are right about the basic gun bay structure Troy - Aluminium paint all round. However there were more panels, similar to those on the gun bay doors, lining the recesses in the gun bay floor and some of the side walls. Colour varied from rich mid-brown to burnt orange. I'm not sure that the material was leather. It looked more like an impregnated or coated fibre-board to me. However, the apertures where the cannons went through the main spar were sealed by leather flaps,, closed by zips.

I regret I have no answer regarding the purpose of the orange and brown panels.

Unfortunately I'm deep in the depths of restoring my archives following a couple of computer disasters. When I can access what I need again I will try to put something more definitive together.

Chris

49 minutes ago, Geoffrey Williams said:

4.     4.  I want to paint all the roundels, so, how do I find the correct colours? Do I have to mix them myself?

depends what brand or type of paint you wish to use?

Colourcoats do them as enamels, I have seen mixes for Tamiya acrylics, but  say what you wish to use and someone will know more.

the blue is a really dark blue, the red is a brick red,  

the 'blue' and 'red' below,  scan of paint chips from an RAF museum book.

bstablegb_1.JPG

hopefully others will know more.

For the " chromate" yellow, suggest it might be " Hawker yellow", their own bespoke primer? Take a look at the pinned Sea Fury thread in the Cold War section to see examples. I do not know if the Hawker Typhoon would be painted with the same primer as the Sea Fury, but by the same manufacturer and of similar era perhaps likely?