Bf109E-4B "Achtung Anfanger"

Crimea River

Hi all

The project currently occupying my workbench is an Eduard Bf109E-4 which I will build as this E-4B of 5/JG51. The decals and the profile below are from the Kagero Topcolours Battle of Britain Part III publication. I have been unsuccessful in finding a period photogragh of this aircraft to support Kagero's assertion that the cowling behind the yellow engine cowl is "likely freshly changed...in RLM65".

I assume that whatever reference Kagero had to base this profile on shows a lighter MG17 gun cowl but the question is why would they state and show it to be completely RLM65? If a new replacement cowl was added, would it not have had the green upper portion in addition to the 65? Would it have been bare metal from the factory and therefore unpainted? Could the ground crew have painted a repaired cowl 65 intending to add the green later? Anyone know in what state replacement parts were supplied to units - painted or unpainted?

So, I'm looking for some astute opinions from the gang here to help me decide what the colour is that I should depict. Let the discussion begin! Oh and, of course, if someone has a reference pic, I'd love to get a copy if possible!

Thanks in advance.

Andy

2ad3fb66d99009b6706f219d009a04b4-battle-

Andy,

Removable panel/cowling exchanges for various reasons were by no means unusual on 109s during the B of B period (and for the rest of the war for that matter), the most well-known 109E with such a change is most likely being von Werra's.

I've an extensive collection of period 109E images so will have a look to see if I have one of your intended subject. However, if I do have one it will be in monochrome so not likely to be a great help in determining a colour.

IMHO the colour of the panel was likely to have been 65 as suggested in the artwork caption or, failing that, 02.

Will start checking shortly and let you know.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. I agree that it would have been not uncommon to replace parts like this. The real question is what surface treatment these parts would have carried on arrival at the unit before anyone has had a chance to apply camo colours since that would appear to be the case here.

I've ruled out 02 only because I would assume that the reference that Kagero used would show a distinctly lighter shade than the 02 upper splinter on the spine and the heavily mottled fuselage sides which presumably would have involved some field applied 02. A pic, if it exists, would help with that interpretation even though it would be b&w.

Andy