Anybody knows details on Thai Beech and Fairchild stolen by SEAC escapers?

JWM

Hi,

There is an interesting story about returning of almost whole crew back from enemy territory after being shot down in South East Asia in May/June 1945.

http://www.rquirk.com/smith.html

In a final stage they kidnaped two Royal Thai machines: Fairchild (I guess that it was radial engine Forwarder, three of them were in use in RTAF since 1938) and Beech-11 (I think AT-11?). 

Has anybody a photo of those machines? This must be an huge joy with strong propaganda use (I think) so there must be photos of those machines somwhere...

Any comments will be apprecieted

Redards

J-W

Hiya J-W,.... they wouldn`t have been hijacked mate,..... the Thai Armed Forces were actively aiding the Allies, even though they were under the control of the Japanese. Many Allied agents and escaping airmen/prisoners were housed in the Royal Palace under the protection of the Thai Royal Family! The Thai Air Force willingly flew Allied agents and other personnel around the country, under the noses of the Japanese! 

Good luck finding out more info,.... if I come across anything I shall let you know.

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

Tony, many thanks for this explanation. Anyway - this was a brave escape and interesting to commemmorate in model

Regars

J-W

• Like 1