Wingnut Wings Albatros DVa

Dear all,

Completed a couple of days ago, the WNW Albatros dva completed in the markings of Josef Mai, Jasta 5 late 1917/early 1918.  As always, built OOB, brush painted - wood work simulated using artist oils over acrylic base coat of ochre.  Rigged mostly using Uschi fine elastic thread with exception of undercarriage where fine (monofilament) mending thread used to give strength in a very weak area - the model will quite literally freely wooble if elastic thread used here.

Probably the best kit in the WNW range with great decals.  The only issues with decals (if you can call it that) is the lozenge is not printed to shape of wings so must be cut in individual sections then trimmed to wing profile once dry.   You then have the tedious task of applying individual rib tapes ...........   The biggest issue though is the decal representing the crescent and start motif is out of proportion and printed oversize - something you don't notice until you apply them.

Admit this is not my best work but is also far from my worst.

Photos kindly taken by my son on his decent camera.

Constructive feedbackcomments welcomed.

7xsNmFL.jpg

yc5jEJs.jpg

RTT5Vld.jpg

6PBDpVA.jpg

9El3Kg3.jpg

saz42vz.jpg

Regards

Dave

avw2jzQ.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Superb.

Busy doing my first WnW kit, a D.VII. Everything about these kits is first class, and you've done a first class job here. I hope I get the prop looking as good as yours.

Davey.

• Like 1

Lovely job Dave, that wooden fuselage is ace! Joesph Mai's aircraft are one of my favorites, he was a very interesting guy.

You can't go wrong with a Jasta 5 Albatros!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Wow!  Beautiful model.  That crescent does look quite over-sized.

Andrew

Thank you all kindly gentlemen.

I glad that you agree about the crescent marking Andrew as this was something I found very disappointing as I had obviously committed to the paint scheme so have had to live with it - this is an issue I have fed back to Wingnut wings as an observation.

Regards

Dave

13 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

Really amazing, I haven't attempted a WNW kit yet, too nervous about rigging.

Don't let that put you off - once you have a method sorted it is not as bad as you think although it can be fiddly and tedious on occasions.

Try a biplane that has minimal rigging such as a Fok DVII first and don't be shy on asking advice - happy to help if necessary.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

I have to agree about the crescent, but it still looks pretty damn good from here. (Then again, I am in Dallas at the moment....... 😁)

Ian

• Like 1