1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar resin kit by Scratchaeronautics - released

Homebee

Hi all......

Given the current mess with the shipments, I'd like to clarify some points:

The kits ordered last may and june, have just been shipped.

The kits ordered last july will be shipped throughout this month.

We are meeting the previously announced delivery deadline of three months from the moment you place an order, with a slight delay of about two weeks. Not bad for a "three men army", working just on saturdays, when our family and job commintments allow us to do so....

Anyone bying any kit from us, is told about the purchase conditions, delivery terms, etc...It's clearly stated that the kits take about three months to be ready for shipment.

When we announce a new kit in "preorder", we're talking about a kit still to be prepared, hence the lower price for the first 25 orders, as a way to compensate you for advancing the money needed to develop the model.

Of course we're talking about an expensive kit, but if you take account about the cost of the raw materials, and the fact that the shipping fees are included in that price, you'll find it's not as expensive as some people think...

Now the Scimitars are finally ready, some other kits have seen the light.....

Hispano Aviación HA1112M4L, Buchón two seater, 1/48 scale. Ready for shipment.

Hispano Aviación HA220D Super Saeta. 1/48 and 1/72 scale. Ready for shipment.

Helwan Al Kaheera, 1/48 scale. Ready for shipment.

Northrop N3PB, 1/48 scale. Already working with the master parts. Kit in "preorder" status.

AISA I-15 Garrapata, 1/48 scale. Already working with the master parts, kit in "preorder" status.

And probably, but still to be decided:

Supermarine Swift FR.5, 1/48 scale.

de Havilland Chipmunk, 1/48 scale.

best regards....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 3

Mine arrived today!

Well, its certainly a heavy chunk of resin. Comes in a very sensible box which logically opens at the top. A very impressive kit but for a few caveats:-

First, all the resin is in one bag. The wings and fuselage centre section are relatively massive. There is one casting that includes a solid resin canopy. On my kit one of the small parts on this had snapped in half and broken off. I suspect it was hit by a heavy chunk of something in transit so maybe the smaller part need additional protection or separate bagging? The damaged part can be repaired as the separate bit was in the bag. 

Second, the nose gear yoke was short shot due to air in one half of the mould so I will have to make the missing half.

Third. I'm not sure about the font for the underwing serials?

Fourth. Pictorial instructions and a page of A4 in Spanish. An English translation would have been useful

Fifth. A parts map of some sort would also be useful. I have the Warpaint so the drawings in that should inform me as to what some of the bits are.

This must sound very wingey but I am really very pleased with the kit and I'm glad that I have  second one on order. It looks to be very buildable and the surface detail is very, very good!

Simon

• Like 1

Mine has just arrived too. Parts in 2 bags. Nice to see 2 canopies. One main gear leg is short shot* on the axle, but an axle pin is easy enough. Some damage to one jet pipe, (an air bubble caused a void, but fixable by filling it with thin superglue). Some foam chips in the box to stop the contents rattling around would be useful.

All in all, I'm happy with it. Excellent surface detail, and compared with another resin lump on my desk that cost more, and is half the size, this is 100 times better in quality. I don't have a solid resin canopy casting, not that I need it.

*again an air bubble. The axle had detached in transit as the bubble was right at the angle.

Juan has offered me spares already.

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Mine has just arrived too. Parts in 2 bags. Nice to see 2 canopies. One main gear leg is short shot* on the axle, but an axle pin is easy enough. Some damage to one jet pipe, (an air bubble caused a void, but fixable by filling it with thin superglue). Some foam chips in the box to stop the contents rattling around would be useful.

All in all, I'm happy with it. Excellent surface detail, and compared with another resin lump on my desk that cost more, and is half the size, this is 100 times better in quality. I don't have a solid resin canopy casting, not that I need it.

*again an air bubble. The axle had detatched in transit as the bubble was right it the angle.

Juan has offered me spares already.

I think you'll find the resin canopy as part of the large casting which includes the wing fences, etc. Looks like a Swift belly tank!

Ah, mine are with another 7 or 8 castings all done in one piece. I think the bit that has snapped off is actually a main gear retraction jack so the part is okay. I have now rebagged all the smaller parts     in separate bags so they won't be banging into the big bits!

Really impressive kit though!

I received my Scimitar today as well and have had a look at it. I too have rebagged the smaller pieces into a separate bag. The decals are not wonderful but I will use either the MA ones of those from the Dynavector kit. And one of the mainwheel legs is not quite right, but not a major problem. If you speak Spanish I am sure that the instructions will be good but I don't and will have to rely on the pix as necessary. But when you appreciate this is the work of a small part time team, it is an incredible achievement. So well done and many thanks for producing a Scimitar in 1/48 scale. Now for a Swift FR5?????

John

• Like 1

Dear friends: thank you very much for your kind comments and input. We really appreciate them, that's the only way to improve things. Needless to say, any damaged part will be replaced free of charge.

I'm asking Juan to offer a set of english instructions. Most of the Scimitars have been purchased by british customers (It could not be otherwise), so english instructions makes sense. As soon as we'll get them sorted, we'll email them to you.

Regarding the Swift FR.5, please take a look at:

Best regards....

• Like 1

Got mine today, thanks for the quick delivery. Haven't noticed any breakages on mjne, but will gave to double check and rebag. Have emailed Juan about the packaging.

Good news all round. re: The Swift - you know it makes sense!

Reading about little issues on here with unfortunate positioned bubbles, particularly in u/c parts, maybe white metal parts  would be an answer but I know you can't do them at the moment. Maybe SAC can come to the rescue! Aeroclub got the hang of them though so not impossible.

Somebody above mentioned and questioned underwing serial fonts. I don't have my kit yet but if the 'D' is in question then there were acording to my references distinctly two variations on these. The changeover from a squarish to a rounded 'D' taking place around 1961. Any comments more on this? Dynavector had the square edged ones and Model Alliance, the rounded ones.

7 hours ago, viscount806x said:

The changeover from a squarish to a rounded 'D' taking place around 1961. Any comments more on this?

I agree although both types were to be seen in use  for many years.

To avoid confusion the squarish Dee is like this  ,D , where there is a short horizontal before the curve starts and not like the American ones. Later style started the curve at the top of the vertical and had no horizontal.

Regrettably my lack of computer skills whereby I can't show you both styles means that you will just have to go and look at Scimitar photos..a trial I know. :)

Did I say that mine hasn't arrived and I can't track it because I've lost all of my e-mails..computers!!!!!!! 😿

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tk1608 said:

Have all the scimitar preorders shipped yet ?

I haven’t heard anything from Artie to let me know

cheers

Phil :)

I'm waiting too Phil and not had my tracking ref either. I have a feeling that they are perhaps trying to sort out the air bubble glitches. It'd be nice to know though wouldn't it?

Hi, I’m glad in a way, that you haven’t heard either..

I was a bit worried it was just me.

Yes it would be good to know. Hopefully not too long to wait now.

cheers

Edited by tk1608

3 hours ago, tk1608 said:

Have all the scimitar preorders shipped yet ?

I haven’t heard anything from Artie to let me know

cheers

Hi all, I was in touch with Artie yesterday about when the next shipment of Scimitars was to be released, seems he has nothing to do with delivery as its down to one of his partners who has the job of shipping them out - up until recently his partner has been on exercises, but, in his letter mention was made that contact would be made to everyone last night, nothings happened my end yet, perhaps he is still on exercise?  Anyway, here is a copy of the response that I got from Artie last night, now we all know whats happening

Hi, Raymond. I'm not really aware about wich kits have been shipped in the second batch, because it's Juan who takes the paypal record, with names and addresses.

Anyway, I've asked him to please inform everyone, and according to his reply, he was going to send an email this evening, updating everyone about the state of the shipments. Last week's military excercises in Fuerteventura have kept him very busy....

That’s great. Thanks for posting that.

I'm pleased to have just heard from Juan on Facebook. He thinks that mine should be shipped by early October, and that we all will get a tracking number emailed to us. I’m happy to know that things are progressing :)

23 minutes ago, viscount806x said:

I'm not on Facebook so I'll assume mine will be Oct too.

That makes two of us...………...I wont allow facebook anywhere near my computer, so, I will assume October also

• 1 month later...

Mina also arrived Monday 29th October...…….already cut the pour stubs off most the pieces and segregated parts into separate bags, looks the business...………...sent away and received new set of Decals to go with this kit

• 4 weeks later...