1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar resin kit by Scratchaeronautics - released

Homebee

As already bought to you by our very own Artie on SUNDAY..... here:-

and a link to 'Scratchaviation' web site.............. http://scratchaviation.webs.com/   also in the above link :whistle:

Paul                                                                                                             

• 3 weeks later...

No, no one got hurt, thanks God.....thanks for your kind interest👍

Actually, it imploded with a funny noise, the same that you hear when opening a bottle of champagne....that kind of "pop"............ and a mess of silicon, resin, etc...inside....

Hi Artie - good to hear that nobody was hurt in the  implosion. Does this affect the release of the Scimitar kit at all please - it is not clear from earlier notes what, if anything was affected by the event.  If the Scimitar release date is affected when might those of us who have ordered it start to receive our kits?

Thanks,

John

Don't worry, John.....the "accident" didn't affect the kit at all.......we made new moulds today, so next week they'll be shipped. What really delayed us was the resin supplier, who sold the resin we'd ordered, to another customer.....

Some pics to show how the kit is progressing so far........

42662384604_a76a3f6ac2_z.jpgIMG-20180713-WA0016[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

42474645405_c0742d67e8_z.jpgIMG-20180713-WA0009[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

42662368784_7064147fe7_z.jpgIMG-20180713-WA0008[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

29508616908_6d04b357e8_z.jpgIMG-20180713-WA0007[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

43379050071_678dcf2055_z.jpgIMG-20180713-WA0005[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

• Like 3

Thanks Artie - that looks great and I am looking forward to get my Scimitar. Now for a Swift FR5...…..?

John

Hi, John.....The Supermarine Swift would be an excellent subject indeed....I proposed it to Juan a few weeks ago...just a "no guts" bet after a few pints, and he will be working on it the very evening...!!

Anyway, we have some delay with the 1/72 scale ATR72, and other projects are queueing now......sometimes, I think we've bitten more than we can chew....Our main concern now is the Scimitar, a challenging subject we're rather fond about, and that's our priority.

Even as rare as the Scimitar, but more so, would be a Fairey Gannet AEW 3...……...no one has EVER produced a model of this FAA aircraft, not even in Vac-form(1/48)  In fact, there are a fair few on here continually wishing for a Gannet AEW 3...……...should be a market if no-one had ever produced one

• Like 4

I would love to see a Gannet AEW 3 in 1/48 scale. Perhaps Sword might upscale their 1/72 kit to 1/48 as they did for the LightningT4/5?

John

6 hours ago, rayprit said:

Even as rare as the Scimitar, but more so, would be a Fairey Gannet AEW 3...……...no one has EVER produced a model of this FAA aircraft, not even in Vac-form(1/48)  In fact, there are a fair few on here continually wishing for a Gannet AEW 3...……...should be a market if no-one had ever produced one

I thought Classic Airframes were meant to have been doing one years ago? Oh well, opportunity there for Airfix!

2 hours ago, jasman71 said:

I thought Classic Airframes were meant to have been doing one years ago? Oh well, opportunity there for Airfix!

Classic  AIr frames did plan to make one years ago, they even did the artwork for the box which can be found on the net, but, I believe they went bust before they had plans to bring their plans to fruition 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100697-classic-airframes-4136-fairey-gannet-aew

11 hours ago, Vlamgat9 said:

Please someone. Anyone. Do an AEW3.

Yes. But I confess I would prefer a 1/48th injected plastic kit of the Gannet AEW.3 by Sword or ...

The box art of the never edited Classic Airframes kit 😥

gannet20120seat1_1.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

Me too......I'd rather build a plastic kit of any of our resin ones....😂

Meanwhile, I'm glad to have a 1/48 C-101 Aviojet, or HA200 Saeta, for example......

The Supermarine Scimitar has been our most challenging project so far, and I'm pretty sure you won't be dissapointed with it. Some other interesting projects are in our "wish list", but our experience with BIG resin kits is not very pleasant. We can't cast metal undercarriage legs, and heavy kits are a challenge.....apart from that, big kits mean loads of silicon and resin, wich are very expensive raw materials. Our goal is to offer good quality kits at an affordable price.

Our working method is quite simple, but time consuming:

We make an original "master", just an overall shape of the model, with no details at all....think about a rough, solid scratch built model, with no surface detailing, no cockpit, no wheel wells.....Then, that rough "shape" is cut into pieces wich are then copied in resin...

Those first copies are then used a a pattern to work with, adding panel lines, rivets, etc.....we get the definitive "master" parts...Al the small details are scratch built from plastic stock, or whatever we can find purposeful....sometimes, the local ironmonger is our best "supplier". Finally, the parts are cast in good quality poliurethane resin, the decals are hand mede with a printer, and the canopies are vacuformed. Last, but not least, each silicon mould lasts up to 20/25 copies, from that point, the copies are not so good, and we prefer to throw them away,

And we're just three, with little time from our jobs....I'd rather pay for a 1/48 injected plastic Scimitar, than building my own resin kit....!!!!😂😂

Just let me telling you a secret: We were working with a 1/48 scale Percival Provost, some work was already done, when Mikro Mir announced they own kit....needless to say, the project was cancelled.

We'd decided to build a Provost just for the sake of fond memories. We loved the old Matchbox kit, and remembered those old days when, as kids, built them with avid interest.....

Best regards....

• Like 1

Evening, Sirs....

Just a brief update. The kit is almost finished, and we hope to start deliveries the next week. We suffered an unexpected delay due to a, lets say , "silicon and resin shortage", after our supplier sold our order to another customer.......Now we're working around the clock to have everything ready within the committed deadline. Hope you'll like how things are turning out so far....

41667762560_c842c4f3d4_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0015[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

42570747995_671a51a6c4_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0016[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

43475704141_006355bdd4_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0017[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

41667749050_d201411c8d_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0020[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

42570735885_f88a3f0e33_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0021[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

43475692431_5c144ec567_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0022[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

28588961757_efc1d5b293_c.jpgIMG-20180717-WA0023[1] by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

• Like 5

Just about got around to convincing myself to order one but looked at the ebay listing from the link above and is now ended with 3 sold.

Perhaps there will be more once the silicone/resin shortage has been overcome.

34 minutes ago, chrisov said:

Just about got around to convincing myself to order one but looked at the ebay listing from the link above and is now ended with 3 sold.

Perhaps there will be more once the silicone/resin shortage has been overcome.

Here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERMARINE-SCIMITAR-RESINA-POLIURETANO-1-48-MODELO-EN-PREORDER/253712745632?hash=item3b127544a0:g:hhIAAOSw4ola12wG

V.P.

Edited by Homebee