AIRFIX 1/600 HMS DEVONSHIRE County Class Destroyer

The first ship model I built was the AIRFIX 1/600 HMS Tiger which someone gave me for my eighth birthday.  Being an aircraft modeller I always liked the look of full-hull ship models but they just did not have the play value on the living room carpet, the propellers would keep catching on the carpet weave.

Back in the 1960s I remember Public Information programmes of only a few minutes were shown usually during school holidays in the early afternoon. I seem to remember one featuring a large Royal Navy destroyer launching a radar guided missile from a large launcher on its stern which then shot down a high flying target Canberra. Then my dad bought me a Hippo Book about missiles and the Sea Slug missile fascinated me.

Put these things together and you have my growing interest and admiration for the beautiful and impressive County Class destroyers.

AIRFIX first brought out their model of HMS Devonshire in 1963.  In 1998 I bought a second hand one at the model show in Huddersfield which I just could not resist.

During the construction I felt that something did not look right in the proportions of the superstructure of the model when compared with photos I had of the real ones. I realised what it was, the forward superstructure was too short and set too far back, the front turrets were too far apart, and the rear funnel was set too low.

I decided that I wanted to make a good job of this model as it would probably be the only ship I would build now.

Just in case any Moderators are watching, I built this model in 1998 and I only took three photographs during the build with my 35mm camera.

I have included these build photos just to show what modifications I did to the kit.

908af038-55ca-4e42-9aae-76749af55191.jpg

That superb AIRFIX box artwork. A Sea Slug is on its way .

resized_11b13eaa-9833-41ac-a1d6-c07ea19e

How the model was illustrated in my 1971 AIRFIX catalogue. Front superstructure too short and set too far back resulting in large gap behind rear turret, Rear funnel set too low and basic box represents the Sea Slug launcher on the stern.

resized_2fd722e1-db88-435e-82a8-d34c56e9

I had not noticed the forward superstructure fault at this early stage.

resized_3ff8b69b-51d5-4510-be08-a2421e5e

Replacement and resited turret rings. Forward superstructure extended. White plastic card infills and modifications. Rear funnel raised. Fuse wire lattice work added to Sea Slug launcher. Replacement rotors and fuse wire undercarriage on the Wessex helicopter.

resized_d1bd709e-b191-4a48-9e1e-feadec52

Holes drilled in top of funnels.

resized_d1eebe2a-54d7-45c3-9cea-47f78911

My newly completed model with the reference book from our Public Library. I was going to use this photograph to make a waterline display base as it showed the shape of the ship's wake clearly.

Model was brush painted with Humbrol enamels.

resized_1bc9b2ac-2789-456f-99eb-16ac6f21

Close up of the Wessex and the Sea Slug launcher. Sea Cat launcher is yet to receive its missiles. Note the doors of the helicopter hangar just behind the funnel. It must have been a tricky operation to get the Wessex in and out of the hangar.

A few years later I decided that the original grey paint I used was too dark and I repainted the model. I used Humbrol 127 Ghost Grey and White Ensign M19 RN Deck Green enamels.

I also decided to add crew figures to the model which I made from plastic card.

resized_6022f4a2-7f45-47e3-bd96-7d5d16a2

I made a waterline display base from paper card with a hull-shaped cut out for the model to sit in.

resized_1d6bca52-65f3-4574-940f-27477d33

resized_cc4891a1-eeb5-4f81-bb88-33ae2bed

resized_3d2c64bb-6a74-48b7-9f18-b3401e7c

resized_58698f2b-5272-4243-aed9-03719d4c

resized_84446f9b-67cb-4c88-a019-8c92e428

resized_fd63ada2-0fb2-4cdf-9fa3-e51c50b4

resized_97abe114-d02f-4e0b-8634-5c10c080

resized_b5fa77d6-a558-42b1-a6a1-1b4536d3

resized_2a4c1c67-b7ed-41b3-b01c-d03a4281

resized_fdbdfce8-797b-40aa-bf80-e0cc8b87

resized_874dfa03-97aa-45aa-a052-d28bc500

resized_3652cf78-db5f-4bb4-b49a-a5bc90c4

Thank you for looking.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 29

This is a really good rendition of a mediocre kit. The bit that impresses me most though is the Sea Slug launcher at the stern. Not a piece of Photo Etch in sight, fantastic!

Paul.

:thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Paul E said:

This is a really good rendition of a mediocre kit. The bit that impresses me most though is the Sea Slug launcher at the stern. Not a piece of Photo Etch in sight, fantastic!

Paul.

:thumbsup: 

As above. Plus, HMS Ajax in the background in the second phot. 

• Thanks 1

I really like this,very nice work on an old kit and proof that you don't need wood decks,photo etch or metal barrels to make a splendid model.

mtd

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hadn't spotted this thread before.  Excellent work and well done for spotting the issue with the fwd superstructure.  I realised it with GLAMORGAN but far far too late in the build to do anything about it.  I especially ;like the plasticard figures; have you documented anywhere how you did them?

• Thanks 1

hi Randy,

I am assuming that you mean a good quality 'plastic' 1:350 kit as there already is a very good quality resin kit available.  It is produced by Atlantic Models and depicts HMS Glamorgan, although it has parts and decals to build any of the class.  Being resin, it is more expensive than a plastic kit however, as it is the only version available in that scale, and it is for your father, then I would get one before the moulds get too worn and go OOP.  Have a look at this review by Dave @Shar2

Mike

Thanks for that Bootneck, I was not aware it could be built as the Devonshire (slightly different) but I just read the links you posted and it seems that they're all possible form the kits supplies.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Lost the old sea dog (40 years service) 6 years ago so will make a great memory of him for me :)

• Like 1

Good job on this ancient (but still younger than me) and thoroughly underwhelming kit Adey, it's amazing the effect the superlative Roy Cross artwork had on a young mind, sadly hardly ever reflected in the box, but hey-ho. The mods certainly make a difference to her lines and the Sea Slug launcher looks spot on. If the 'basic' design is there then just about anything's possible with work, as I remind the Memsahib as she's about to trowel on the third layer of concealer and Milliput. Talking of old Airfix ships I have an early 1/600th Scharnhorst to build at some point, mainly due to it having the original straight bow, funnel, anchor and mast positions as I rather like the look of the original design, hopefully, it'll be fun bringing it up to an acceptable standard.                                                                                                                                                                      

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Hadn't spotted this thread before.  Excellent work and well done for spotting the issue with the fwd superstructure.  I realised it with GLAMORGAN but far far too late in the build to do anything about it.  I especially ;like the plasticard figures; have you documented anywhere how you did them?

Hi Chewbacca, thanks for your comments. Nothing fancy about the figures, they are simply crude human shapes cut out of a sheet of plasticard with a sharp pointed modelling knife. I got the idea from one of my friends who models ships and who bought a set of etched brass figures for his water line ship model.

regards,  adey

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, general melchett said:

If the 'basic' design is there then just about anything's possible with work, as I remind the Memsahib as she's about to trowel on the third layer of concealer and Milliput. 

Must remember that line - for some day when I'm feeling lucky.

Adey: lovely job on what the General rightly calls a thoroughly underwhelming kit.  At a quick glance I though the Seaslug launcher was 3D-printed.  And a very tidy job on the Wessex too.  As a kid I was less than impressed with the County class: it seemed that compared with other nation's warships the designers had forgotten to include more than a token armament.  However, like the preceding Counties, they were fine looking ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Adey, I am glad you have built a ship too now! And what a result. It is superbly done, and I was amazed at the Sea Slug launcher - it looks fabulous. You will have to crack open another ship one day soon (please!)/

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I think your build looks great, especially the modifications that you did.  😀

Pat

PS.  I have to admit though I do feel a bit down every time I hear someone disparage an older model kit.  I always thought that eventhough the Devonshire kit isn't perfect, for its day it really wasn't too bad overall, and I know I had fun building it when I was much younger.

• Thanks 1

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:37, adey m said:

Hi Chewbacca, thanks for your comments. Nothing fancy about the figures, they are simply crude human shapes cut out of a sheet of plasticard with a sharp pointed modelling knife. I got the idea from one of my friends who models ships and who bought a set of etched brass figures for his water line ship model.

regards,  adey

Cheers.  Never thought of doing that before so must give it a go.

22 hours ago, PF Naughton said:

PS.  I have to admit though I do feel a bit down every time I hear someone disparage an older model kit.  I always thought that eventhough the Devonshire kit isn't perfect, for its day it really wasn't too bad overall, and I know I had fun building it when I was much younger.

Couldn't agree more.  There's real modelling skill in taking something that's 50 years old and a bit clunky and turning it into a fair representation of the real thing.

• Thanks 1