The other Tim's 1/32 Revell Hawk T.1.A - XX184 - 19 (R) Sqn - 70th anniversary of the equipping of 19 (F) Sqn with the Spitfire scheme!

Thought I would pitch in with this - sat in the stash, with another for sometime. Came across the story of this paint job and also saw the decals.

Never built 1/32, so here goes. Off to the World Cup on June 3rd, so will need to get on with it. Have a couple of Airfix Harriers on the bench that missed the FB online build I entered for its 50th anniversary - will need to get those done as well, maybe for the next KUTA!

Link to the RAF? Well they threw me out of planes for 25 years, I also got a 'hop' in a Hawk out of Valley as part of my FAC - Forward Air Controller (new money JTAC - Joint Terminal Air Controller) course.

The idea was to understand what a fast jet pilot sees and his workload whilst we are talking him onto a target....so when mentioning a 'Red roofed barn' to a pilot doing 450 knots at 250 ft, he is likely to ask which F@@king one! Great experience that also included the Mach Loop.

Plan is to use Mr Paint. Tempted to twin build a Red Arrows jet in the Hawker Siddeley GB!

4dSa9kH.jpg

legN6ua.jpg

7OZ0y9m.jpg

qthPn2V.jpg

RK7m5r0.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Robert Stuart said:

Looks interesting Tim, though I'd be worried about that red plastic under a camouflage scheme

Hopefully the black base primer I use on most builds will sort that issue - I built the 1/72 little brother and primed in white which worked well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got started, standard sorting of flash, getting parts off the sprue, Ejector seats built and some primer. Hopefully get some painting done soon.

6VNJ3sx.jpg

• Like 2

Look forward to this Tim,got an Airfix  Red Arrows Hawk in 1/48 scale for pennies last year it's sat in the draw with no chance of getting built as I hate

doing  gloss red or black finishes,just ordered this decal scheme for it today. 

• Like 1

Getting some building done and the interior sorted.

MQL7Rnr.jpg

After test fitting felt best to attach the intakes to the trunking then attach inside and try to get the outside fit as good as possible having read that sometimes its problematic. On test fitting something was not right - turned out an ejection mark from moulding was raised so I cut it out and sanded the area smooth which made the fit nice and snug.

Test fit of fuselage:

TPMkxXB.jpg

q53YTWW.jpg

Couple of pilots from another kit - not perfect RAF types, but one per aircraft will do....

Wings going together...

BRYkbaT.jpg

Just need to finish the seats, give it all a matt varnish and wash with Floreys, maybe a bit of dry bushing first.

Then be time to get the thing joined up....need to be careful to prevent my nemesis, seams!!

• Like 2

Getting stuff done - hopefully get the main build done soon....

dMBwYew.jpg

Yle0TkQ.jpg

Checking fit of wing assembly

qWQod4l.jpg

• Like 3

Moving on

fVQyHCn.jpg

Bit of test fitting

cMKeP1P.jpg

R6hUuTj.jpg

Both Hawks will be 'one up' so an 'apron' is fitted to the rear seat to keep the gubbins in place.

n8QDOeH.jpg

• Like 5

Getting there soon be time to close it up.....any tips regards decals on the outside of the canopy, using Mr Setter/Softer?

x9ClZGQ.jpg

UU5EGT3.jpg

• Like 2

Created the 'Apron' for the back seat from Weetabix wrapper and some blue paint!

x9ClZGQ.jpg

n8QDOeH.jpg&key=ab4617ef1d65d28e25d5cc56

Couple of headless Hawk Pilots!! Changed the seat webbing colour.

4vgJBpy.jpg?1

Flaps on and undercarriage doors in - will need a bit of filler and blending. As this pome is all Aluminium underneath and no regrstartion number I have put the under thingies on - fillets? I have also drilled 2 holes for pylons to find there are none in this version of the kit!! Doh....unless anyone has a pair spare, I will have to fill.

20rawid.jpg?1

Bit of test fitting. Head will not go on until the canopy does - forever knocking them off!

uBDXwS4.jpg

Bit of test fitting - nearly time to close her up!

sbcpoUu.jpg

m4uUCMl.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hovis said:

Be careful, in all of the pics your dry-fit of the intakes are upside down.

Great work otherwise!

Thanks for the tip Hovis but are you sure?  All the instructions show the little square panel lines at the lower end (think its and inspection hatch?) as do the references and other builds? Have pasted in pics from both my builds and others found via Google? Mine look correct?

BAE%20-%20HAWK%20T.66%20-%20WALKAROUND%2

BAE%20-%20HAWK%20T.66%20-%20WALKAROUND%2

hawk_t1a_xx335_13_of_40.jpg

2730304606_c8f2196e64.jpg

sehawk%20001%20(24).jpg

sehawk%20001%20(29).jpg

WeabDVx.jpg

TcVjlzV.jpg

55NPm8z.jpg

8K1NUJ4.jpg

55NPm8z.jpghttps://modelingmadness.com/scott/mod/gb/32hawk.htm

• Like 1

I'm so sorry Tim, I sit here corrected!  I confused myself!  I tried to remember that they *look* upside down but they aren't but failed to remember when I posted.

Keep up the good work.....  :blush:

• Like 1

Closed up - a bit of a gap behind the rear cockpit bulkhead, will need some plasticard and filling I suppose, I think most have the same issue. Next will be the seams, which I always battle with! The glass has all been dipped in clear, so will get the MDC decals on before masking and painting the frames.

YSxT4Pt.jpg

• Like 1

Getting there! Some filling to do. Mr paint black primer went over the red plastic on the Aden Cannon pod fairly well, which will be good for the Dark Green/Dark Earth/Aluminium scheme. Had a mare with the canopies, dipped in some old Klear, came out patchy and with bits!! Tried to take it off with a bit of meths, seemed to work, new Klear on, will see how it is. Only Kleared as the MDCs are decals.

Soon be time to mask up the pit and get some primer on.

n2ru8dm.jpg

4lX6Oz3.jpg

• Like 2

This a great build, I’ve got the same kit in the loft but I’m finding the expanse of red daunting! On an inter service note, how did you find working with the RAF? As an ex crab I always find the Army’s take on the RAF interesting..... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ade said:

This a great build, I’ve got the same kit in the loft but I’m finding the expanse of red daunting! On an inter service note, how did you find working with the RAF? As an ex crab I always find the Army’s take on the RAF interesting..... 

Cheers - yes the red plastic is off putting, especially priming, being patient and putting layers on....

'How did I find working with the RAF'.....there are various words I would use, remember I spent 25 years with the Parachute Regiment so spent a lot of timing working with 'Crab Air'.....

So....Awesome (PJIs, Tac Air Transport - C130 crews etc)......Frustrating (Mainly Air Movements ....checking in 8hrs before a Tristar flight that inevitably breaks down....), Rewarding (Support Helicopter Force were superb, especially when we had casualties in Helmand or were roping down right on top of a target, under fire....) Sensitive (mainly the RAF Reg or the mention of working weekends!!) and Exhilarating (the 40 mins in the back of a Hawk on my FAC/JTAC course was amazing)......

At times a joy, other times infuriating!!

How did you find the Army!!?

So primer on

upS3Chh.jpg

bcANrVl.jpg

Still some seams, one day I will conquer them....

Plan to to the Cam first and then the aluminium underneath, have had some issues with masking tape lifting the Mr Paint metal paints, so makes sense.

• Like 2

@Tim Moff I’ve spent a fair amount of time with the Army both in and out of uniform. I enjoyed working with them on the whole, one or two idiots but that’s life. I always enjoyed the banter with them though. I feel your pain about RAF movers though, I spent two and a half years flying to and from Bastion and hated the lottery that was the RAF air bridge. Your Hawk is progressing very nicely by the way!

• Like 1