Airfix 1/72 Douglas A-4B Skyhawk USS Intrepid 1966

Valkyrie

Skyhawk paint

Tamiya light gray, looks a touch brown in this light but one of the colour choices I'm happier with. Not sure if it will work on the Argentine Armada version

Decals, white underside and tail plane parts then I think I will go for a Vietnam bound loadout rather than the usual drop tanks 

Thanks for looking in 

• Like 3

gee you really do like Scooters!! 

It does seem to be a bad time for canopies at the moment.

I've started doing panel lines really early as well, mostly to help find missing panel lines for sanding (alway an issue with resin) plus with really pale main colours as well. Though you do need to use super thinned paint for it to work really well.

She looking really nice. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich, first time I tried it. I do like a skyhawk though this is my first, hopefully squeeze a few out for this GB! Have a few Argentinian carrier options too.

Gently does it with these canopies.

Using tamiya rattle can and key is shake for ages and a larger distance. Happy with the pre paint panel result but I think il try a panel wash at end

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

hopefully squeeze a few out for this GB!

that's what we like to hear!! :thumbsup:

for a rattle can that's a very nice finish and Tamiya paints in general are pretty much bulletproof, they're my favourite to use.

• Like 1

Hi,

this A-4 looks the part, really.

I am pretty much at the same point of the build with mine, except that I did start the build late last year!!!! The mind boggles...

A full weapon load is not a bad idea. The Scooter then becomes a real little meanie!

Great job.

JR

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
40449298490_df79bb4805_b.jpg

I am sure there must be easier ways to mask off for painting undersides, perhaps I should have painted under first. 

Hi Valkyrie,

you are getting there, but it is indeed much easier to paint the white first.

The top of the ailerons is white too. I like using white primer for US Navy aircraft in gull grey and white, as half the job is almost done. But that's just me.

Keep having fun masking!!!

JR

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Valkyrie,

you are getting there, but it is indeed much easier to paint the white first.

The top of the ailerons is white too. I like using white primer for US Navy aircraft in gull grey and white, as half the job is almost done. But that's just me.

Keep having fun masking!!!

JR

Thanks Jean, I will go for the white first on my Argentina armada

41360367375_ebfec34d35_b.jpg

Had a bit of a time scraping the runny tamiya rattle can seepage from under the extensive masking, scraped a lot of grey off but think I can get away with it. White free hand on flaps is Akan white was a great combo on top of the smooth tamiya light US Navy grey. 

• Like 6

Hi again Valkyrie,

I suspect you got your wires slightly crossed.

The ailerons, on the outside of the upper wing surface are meant to be white, not the inboard area above the flaps.

Furthermore, do not believe Airfix, as the white delimitation of the white they stipulate for the ailerons is incorrect. Check some photos on the web, and all shall become clear.

So more masking, grey spraying, and then more white...

What a life we lead!!!!

JR

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi again Valkyrie,

I suspect you got your wires slightly crossed.

The ailerons, on the outside of the upper wing surface are meant to be white, not the inboard area above the flaps.

Furthermore, do not believe Airfix, as the white delimitation of the white they stipulate for the ailerons is incorrect. Check some photos on the web, and all shall become clear.

So more masking, grey spraying, and then more white...

What a life we lead!!!!

JR

I’m defo confused now haha, not an easy hobby. I shall check out some internet snaps and get correcting. Be no fun it was easy 

Thanks again

• Like 1

sounds like you're having fun.

I like you neatly arranged and lined up tamiya rattle cans in the background, the only thing missing is sequential order. :D

She does look nice painted.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

sounds like you're having fun.

I like you neatly arranged and lined up tamiya rattle cans in the background, the only thing missing is sequential order. :D

She does look nice painted.

Hi Rich, now you have pointed that out I am going to have to put them in order or I won't be able to think about anything else until it's done!! Thanks

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Hi Rich, now you have pointed that out I am going to have to put them in order or I won't be able to think about anything else until it's done!! Thanks

One doesn't have to be OCD to be a modeller!!! But it may help...

JR

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2018 at 8:18 AM, Valkyrie said:

27547012277_fee3f87ca8_b.jpg

All in sequence now

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, Valkyrie said:

27547012277_fee3f87ca8_b.jpg

All in sequence now

I have CDO it's like OCD but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order....

It is my understanding that the moving control surfaces were painted white top and bottom I am not sure if that applies to the inboard panels.

I don't know if this would be helpful but I use cling film for masking.  I use 6mm masking around the delimitation and then tape cling film on the masking tape keeping the amount of tape touching paint to a minimum.  It saves on all that stripping of tape although it does take longer...

Great work so far.  Keep it up, although not a jet modeller (I'll have a crack one day) I do have a soft spot for the Scooter...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I have CDO it's like OCD but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order....

It is my understanding that the moving control surfaces were painted white top and bottom I am not sure if that applies to the inboard panels.

I don't know if this would be helpful but I use cling film for masking.  I use 6mm masking around the delimitation and then tape cling film on the masking tape keeping the amount of tape touching paint to a minimum.  It saves on all that stripping of tape although it does take longer...

Great work so far.  Keep it up, although not a jet modeller (I'll have a crack one day) I do have a soft spot for the Scooter...

Thanks for the tips. I noticed on eBay that there is masking tape with cling film attached to it but couldn’t work out in my head how it worked ha! 

5 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Cling Film! I never thought of using than! The more I think about it the better it sounds, I'll have to give it a try. Nice tip! :thumbsup:

OCD...isn't that something most modellers have? Now if you could just get rid of those two cans that don't match........ :D

• Haha 1

Gloss coat done, small assemblies done, just detail to finish like yellow live band on my bomb and decals, then ready to hit the deck on my specially acquired base. That’s a Tony Oliver MiG-15 in the background, not my work, but it’s there to inspire me, and it does. Hopefully have this done by tomorrow then see if I can squeeze something else in before the deadline.

42545096422_3e51bff543_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
42120888274_919617c2e7_b.jpg

Decals almost complete, the first one got destroyed but luckily I have 5 sets of the decal sheet. The rest went down unbelievably well and already looking forward to making more of these Airfix Skyhawks.

• Like 5

I can Imagine you would, she looks amazing! :thumbsup: If it was in 1/48th then I have to get me one of them, as I still have a decal set leftover from the Vigilante build. A USN A-4 in Camo would be very different!