Airfix 1/72 Douglas A-4B Skyhawk USS Intrepid 1966

Valkyrie

Inspired by a visit to this carrier and also a love of US Navy aircraft with the star and stripes emblem carried over from childhood when my dad built me a white Phantom one Christmas. Hopefully a quick build and get off and running to get something else on deck. No box was a bargain £5 at Scot Nat at Perth last year.

IMG_6761

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 5

welcome aboard and nice to see another Scooter in the build.

Who makes the model? It looks quite nice, hopefully you'll have no trouble with her so that we can see another beastie build from that nice selection you teased us with!

Good luck with the build, am glad you could join us, and do look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard and nice to see another Scooter in the build.

Who makes the model? It looks quite nice, hopefully you'll have no trouble with her so that we can see another beastie build from that nice selection you teased us with!

Good luck with the build, am glad you could join us, and do look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Sorry, she is the 1/72 Airfix one

• Like 1

Tiny update, on holiday in Tarbert and took the Skyhawk with me. My glue has failed so il be checking the few shops in this quaint little fishing village in hope of a replacement so I can close the fuselage and wings on ready to prime on getting home. I think I might do another one of these but I'd need different markings. What's the deal with the numbers? If I got another kit could I mix up the numbers and still be accurate? Thanks

IMG_6766

• Like 2

as long as the numbers match and aircraft that operated off the carrier then that's fine. But then who really checks the numbers unless they know otherwise! :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good carrier at sea type Scottish weather has limited my work on other projects that require rattlecan painting outdoors, so pressing on with this one. I think I have caught a Skyhawk bug and now might dip into an Argentinian version in the next build rather than an SU-33. Seat belts painted, nose weight added. The fit of the lower wings is so super tight but a bit of excess at most mould seams will take a bit of work.

IMG_6771

• Like 1

That's it for today, can't decide whether to continue with my in flight pose or put on a carrier deck. Fuselage, wings etc all very decent fit and cockpit finished ready for canopy.

IMG_6774

• Like 8

Hi Valkyrie,

very neat build so far!

The Airfix A-4B is supposed to be full of errors.... or so say the boffins and the party poopers.

But it is still a great looking Skyhawks, warts and all, and anyway you need a doctorate in Skyhawks and two in astrophysics to really find these mistakes.

But if there is one you should consider fixing, because it is easy and noticeable, is to fill in the front panel on the starboard side of the nose. Only the one on the port side should eventually remain.

Great kit and it will look smashing!

JR

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Valkyrie,

very neat build so far!

The Airfix A-4B is supposed to be full of errors.... or so say the boffins and the party poopers.

But it is still a great looking Skyhawks, warts and all, and anyway you need a doctorate in Skyhawks and two in astrophysics to really find these mistakes.

But if there is one you should consider fixing, because it is easy and noticeable, is to fill in the front panel on the starboard side of the nose. Only the one on the port side should eventually remain.

Great kit and it will look smashing!

JR

Thanks for that. I am hoping to build 4 of these so this is great info just in time!!  They are nice wee kits 

that's a very tidy looking Skyhawk you have there, it looks to be a very nice model, can't wait to see some colour in it.

If it looks like a Skyhawk, makes sounds like a Skyhawk (no brum brum noises please) then it a Skyhawk! :D

I like the Gripen in the background, it reminds me I have to finish mine!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Yeoman1942 said:

Looks like a nice Skyhawk to me. Neat Preshading on the Grippen to.

Yeoman

Thanks! It's a good kit snap fit almost. Preshading is just black with a tiny brush. Had mixed results with the technique.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

that's a very tidy looking Skyhawk you have there, it looks to be a very nice model, can't wait to see some colour in it.

If it looks like a Skyhawk, makes sounds like a Skyhawk (no brum brum noises please) then it a Skyhawk! :D

I like the Gripen in the background, it reminds me I have to finish mine!

It is a nice model, only Skyhawk in my price range, but, I think I'm going to attempt a double or trio build of Argentine Skyhawks next..two that were ready to launch against the British fleet heading toward the Falklands from their aircraft carrier or three of a wave that attacked HMS Ardent. If I can get this one done....and my Gripen too. I must have a look at your Gripen..

Thanks!

I haven't got a thread up for mine, it's a very long term project. It's a 1/48th Best Model JAS-39D, which is a Italeri best with lots of resin and PE thrown in. It's been hard work but I'm doing in Czech AirForce anniversary colour scheme...eventually!

IMG_0467.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I haven't got a thread up for mine, it's a very long term project. It's a 1/48th Best Model JAS-39D, which is a Italeri best with lots of resin and PE thrown in. It's been hard work but I'm doing in Czech AirForce anniversary colour scheme...eventually!

IMG_0467.jpg

Love a Gripen, I think you should get a feed up for this one, looking great 

3 hours ago, Yeoman1942 said:

Nice looking Gripen. I would never have looked at an Italeri kit, but having seen your build I am tempted.

fit is not the best, so it does require filler and some reshaping here and there, plus the detail is pretty sparse! Personally I'd stay clear of it, unless you can find a REALLY cheap one. The Kitty Hawk one is the one to by but they're not that cheap, though I've seen Italeri ones on evilly going for more!

• Like 1

Liking the look of this Scooter. I’ve built his kit as well and it scrubs up pretty well. Be careful when you mask the white on the ailerons and elevators. The Airfix paint guide is incorrect here so check other models or the many Skyhawk hi-viz photos online. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Tried a super detailed go at pre-shading, see how we go. I have now got 7 Skyhawks so plenty of available go's 

Really silly join in between the canopy keepers saw me snap the canopy in half! Although there are plenty to go round that's still an entire kit wasted 😳 I might save this for one day doing an action dio of Harrier V Skyhawk but would rather have a normal canopy.

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Did you apply a wash to the panel lines pre paint?

Interested to see how that turns out. New to me. 

We are always learning :) 

Hi Tony, yes pre-paint no primer. Watery lifecolour matt black into the lines with detail brush. Wiped excess off which left the detailing in the panel lines as per normal course of action with a wash over gloss. Gave it a couple of coats of Tamiya USAF light grey and the detail was still there however lost a bit with touching up with a third coat...thought I had got away with it. Post shade or wash will be needed.

Edited by Valkyrie