Lightning swansong: 11 Squadron F.6

I've been building my own RAF 100 collection this year and needed some models to fill gaps in the collection. I thought that joining in with this group build would be a great way of participating in the fun.

So here's my 1980's contribution: An 11 Squadron Lightning F.6 based at RAF Binbrook mid-late 1980's. I always thought the low-conspicuity scheme suited the Phantom and the Lightning and being a child of the 1980's, this is exactly how I remember them, so an easy decision!

Yes, it's the old Hasegawa kit: a simple and hopefully quick and painless build.

PICT2858

• Like 3

Some progress to report: The interior (such as there is on this kit!) is in.

I added some suggestion of detail to the seat (ejection cord and some "belts" but not much is going to be seen once the canopy is on anyway...

PICT2876

• Like 3

Nose ballast added and fuselage all buttoned up...I drilled out the rear fuselage just forward of the exhaust nozzles as it was a solid bulkhead. It won't actually be easy to see anything in there anyway.

Wings are on, now trying to make the fin fit nicely to the fuselage spine.

PICT2897

PICT2896

• Like 3

I've stopped right where it gets painful! The fin does not match the contours of the fuselage spine, so there will be a lot of fiddling around there. The tailplanes fit OK, but I need to see what the canopy fits like.

• Sad 1