Revell P-47M in black

Morning all

This little Thunderbolt was supposed to be a fun build, but in the later stages fought back tenaciously. You'll notice a missing undercarriage door, which actually dropped into jar of liquid cement when i was trying to stick it on. I couldn't get it out so I had to watch it gradually dissolve! The pitot tube was taken by the carpet monster, as was the landing light lense (both to be replaced at some stage..).

Paints are Tamiya and AK Interactive Dull Aluminium. Markings, of course, are the famous 'Pengie V', flown by Captain Boleslaw Gladych of 61st Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Group, Eighth Air Force. Unfortunately the Techmod decals I bought specifically for this project proved very difficult to use, tearing or folding up on themselves at the drop of a hat, so I had to fall back on some of the kit items. I also had some silvering issues despite polishing the surface and using microsol. I didn't bother with any weathering as by the end I was just glad to get it finished! Besides, I think these aircraft were kept pretty clean and tidy.

Anyway, here she is in what is definitely one of the more striking Thunderbolt schemes.

Thanks.

Ian

ajVRqtDh.jpg

3UixoIVh.jpg

9TvCPZLh.jpg

SOlc9pNh.jpg

5QemHYvh.jpg

UQwl0Tdh.jpg

xeTR4Oeh.jpg

• Like 50

5 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

I'm doing a Revell Ju 87 Tank Buster and have vowed never to buy another Revell kit again...  

Don't give up on them. Some of their later kits are very good. Isn't that Ju 87 an old Frog kit or similar? 

Very tide work. Nice to see Polish Thunderbolt ! The u/c door you cen easily replace by one cut off the plastic card or you can copy in resin if you wish to have all details on it.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking P-47 :thumbsup: ... I know the majority consensus says black. Ive always thought it a very dark green or blue was more likely the color. But as i said thats just my opinion. Again great looking Jug.

Thanks. Yes, it's a bit of a contentious subject. In the end I went with comments made by the late Roger Freeman, who saw the real aircraft, and the comments of veterans. Also, there are a couple of colour photos on the internet which certainly look black. But like so many of these debates it'll probably never be completely resolved!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very tide work. Nice to see Polish Thunderbolt ! The u/c door you cen easily replace by one cut off the plastic card or you can copy in resin if you wish to have all details on it.

Cheers

J-W

Thank you - yes I'll get around to it one day! :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

You have made a lovely job of that.   I'm doing a Revell Ju 87 Tank Buster and have vowed never to buy another Revell kit again...  

That's rather a sweeping statement. 

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Hairtrigger said:

You have made a lovely job of that.   I'm doing a Revell Ju 87 Tank Buster and have vowed never to buy another Revell kit again...  

I believe that the Revell Ju87-G is an original Revell from back in 1975 - according to Scalemates.com.  I have it in the stash for a time when I feel brave.  I do understand your frustration with Revell kits, sometimes they are decent reboxes of other manufacturers kits (Fw-189, Meteor Mk4 ex MPM) and sometimes they are plain awful (He-219 ex Frog).  I am anti Revell, but have some of their nicer kits and a couple of ex Matchbox kits for fun builds.  Don't dismiss them all, just do a little research before buying Revell, set yourself the challenge - or stick the rubbish ones on evilbay!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Natter said:

I believe that the Revell Ju87-G is an original Revell from back in 1975 - according to Scalemates.com.  I have it in the stash for a time when I feel brave.  I do understand your frustration with Revell kits, sometimes they are decent reboxes of other manufacturers kits (Fw-189, Meteor Mk4 ex MPM) and sometimes they are plain awful (He-219 ex Frog).  I am anti Revell, but have some of their nicer kits and a couple of ex Matchbox kits for fun builds.  Don't dismiss them all, just do a little research before buying Revell, set yourself the challenge - or stick the rubbish ones on evilbay!

I think I've been spoilt with Tamiya, Dragon and even Italeri over the years.   I've only recently come back to aircraft and then only recent Airfix kits.  I seem to remember though back in the day 40 ish years ago that Revell made a good kit....  I've got an old Frog 109 in my stash and that looks flash free not like this Ju87.

I've never binned a kit yet so will persevere, it won't be particularly good but will pass for a Stuka .....  😋

Very nice indeed!

I have built this kit (both the D and M versions by Revell actually) and think it is an excellent buy in my view.

Yes, it has one or two eccentricities but only the Tamiya 1/72 kit (which I haven't built) is generally thought to be better - at a much higher price.

When I built my P-47M, I used a dark grey/blue (cannot remember if I mixed it or it came ready to go in tin or bottle) believing it to be the correct colour.

In all respects your build is much better than my effort.

Well done.

:clap2:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That is a bit nice that, I've recently discovered a need to model Witold lanowski's P-47s, so one of these & some Techmod decals, my version of this won't have the black plane decals in it so I'll have to make the Techmod ones work.  The more I see of these, the more I like the scheme, yours only reinforces that, really really nice.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 11:53 AM, Hairtrigger said:

I have one (P-47D-30) in build - slowly. Going great so far!! 

Martin

• Like 1

VERY nice build!

By the wayyour pitot tube is missing from port wingtip?/!!

The 61st FG in the 56th  did have black painted M model P-47. I spoke to Witold Lanowski back in 1986 or thereabouts and he confirmed that. Some colour pics make them look purplish but thats just from old photos, To compare that, I have seen colour footage of the Black Arrow Hunters  and the footage and age of the film also show them to be purplish . So I would go along with black on those Jugs 99%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very neat build.  I've recently used Techmod decals on two builds and they were terrible, so you're not alone on that score!

I built a Revell 1/72 ME-262 Nightfighter and didn't have much bother with it, so must depend on who designed the kit?

Davey.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 11:39 AM, stevehnz said:

That is a bit nice that, I've recently discovered a need to model Witold lanowski's P-47s, so one of these & some Techmod decals, my version of this won't have the black plane decals in it so I'll have to make the Techmod ones work.  The more I see of these, the more I like the scheme, yours only reinforces that, really really nice.

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:22 PM, Paul J said:

VERY nice build!

By the way your pitot tube is missing from port wingtip?!!

Cheers Paul. Yes it pinged off into oblivion. I really should have replaced it with a bit of stretched sprue - sloppy modelling on my part!

On 7/9/2018 at 10:30 PM, DaveyGair said:

Very neat build.  I've recently used Techmod decals on two builds and they were terrible, so you're not alone on that score!

I built a Revell 1/72 ME-262 Nightfighter and didn't have much bother with it, so must depend on who designed the kit?

Davey.

I've had mixed results with Techmod decals. These were a pig, but I had no bother with them on my Bf 109E build. Annoying!

Thanks to all who have commented.

Ian

• Like 1

Nice looking, and well done for not shoving it back in the box with all the problems you had :)

Haven't built a Revell kit for years, think there might be one in the stash somewhere