More Silver Wings - AW Siskin 1/72

I'm making my own RAF 100 collection of models and I thought it would be nice to join in this group build while filling some gaps in my collection.

So, here's the 1930's silver biplane. The old Matchbox AW Siskin. If the kit decals hold up, then I will build the 32 Squadron aircraft, otherwise I will use the Modeldecal sheet to make a 43 Squadron a/c.

PICT2853

PICT2855

• Like 12

I love them too. I always loved the fact Matchbox made a Siskin, Glad and Fury and they are all very buildable kits. Include the Airfix Bristol Bulldog and you've got a lovely silver quartet!

How rude and impertinent, Sir!

I'm happy with either choice, I just felt I needed a plan B as the kit decals are a bit crispy. Best not rely on them!

• Haha 1

I did too...got a pot of NIVO too. But is NIVO a bit like PC10 in terms of shade? IE a dark green?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shar1982 said:

I did too...got a pot of NIVO too. But is NIVO a bit like PC10 in terms of shade? IE a dark green?

I'd go with your pot of NiVO.

Personally, I think of NIVO as a dark grey green, more consistent than the earlier PC colours.

• Like 1

I think I built three many years ago. I didn't paint the first one, so it was naked plastic dark green fuse and silver wings (impatient youth!), but i went together nicely and encouraged me to do the next two "properly".

Looking forward to getting stuck into my fourth attempt tonight!

• Like 1

Plastic has been fettled! I've painted the inside of the cockpit area to try and represent the red oxide dope I've seen on full-size biplanes under restoration at Old Warden. Shoved a couple of masking tape seat belts in as a visual representation of something in the cockpit!

PICT2878

And that's it! Fuselage is now zipped up waiting for glue to dry...

• Like 8

Not much progress on the Siskin. I knew I had a scale drawing somewhere to help with the rigging, just wasn't sure where I'd put it. After much hunting (and some genuine progress on my other RAF 100 builds) I finally found it in the loft, so I can get going again with my little silver beauty!

PICT2900

• Like 5