Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling

• 10 months later...

Hi there. Fantastic job on the Stirling. I love the old Airfix WW2 bomber kits and am embarking on the Halifax and Wellington in the next month or so. I built the Wellington in, I think, 1960 when I was 11. At my current age, the few parts appeal, so here's hoping I can turn out something that makes me as happy as the far off Wimpy did. I have still to locate a Stirling at the right price, but despite my wife's scepticism as to whether I'll ever get a kit completed, I plan to keep looking.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KiwimikeS said:

At my current age, the few parts appeal,

I cannot agree more with that sentiment.

This is a great build it seems to have what I am looking for in a build - looks like the aircraft concerned and an enjoyable build.

I have an Italieri String in my stash and often think would I have got more enjoyment from an Airfix one from ebay and half the price?

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, good luck with your Wimpy and Halifax!

I agree about the minimal amount of parts, with a bit of work and creativity with the airbrush these old klts still stack up ok!!

Cheers

Simon

WOW just seen this, an awesome build of an old kit ! 

I remember building this kit 40 years ago , mine certainly did not look like that - My dad would probably tell tales of my thumb prints in humbrol cement on the canopy , blood over the wing , my 1st attempt at cleaning up seams with a scalpel haha

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

I remember building this kit 40 years ago , mine certainly did not look like that - My dad would probably tell tales of my thumb prints in humbrol cement on the canopy , blood over the wing , my 1st attempt at cleaning up seams with a scalpel haha

I've bloodied models with my scalpel well into adulthood!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Thank you!! yes I too had the old thing hanging from my bedroom ceiling sometime in the late 70's early 80's 🙂

Just now, JOCKNEY said:

Wonderful job on a classic kit

Thanks Pat, seems a while ago I did this now, thread has been resurrected lol!!

10 minutes ago, SimonR said:

Thanks Pat, seems a while ago I did this now, thread has been resurrected lol!!

Hi Simon

You could say the same for the kit !

I built a "red stripe" Airfix Hampden a while ago and was really pleased with how it turned out.

So what can we look forward to next ?

cheers Pat