Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling

6 minutes ago, goggsy said:

Good skills, great result. Did your kit come with the tractor and bomb trolleys as well? Some early issues did, I understand.

Yes, they're still in the box! I might do a base for it at some point and build them, like I did about 38 years ago lol!!

I didn't get a photo of the underneath, I put half the bombs in and kept some back for the trollies.

Anyway, thanks for kind words guys!

• Like 1

Some sterling work on that Sterling.  Looks like the old trooper can still be made in to a terrific looking model, judging by your treatment.  I remember that great (Roy Cross?) artwork.  One of the best from that period in my view.  Do you still get the tractor and bomb train with the kit? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goggsy said:

Did your kit come with the tractor and bomb trolleys as well? Some early issues did, I understand.

They all had the tractor and bomb trolleys (they weren't on a separate runner). I've built three of these and they've all had them.

Nice work BTW :clap2:

• Like 3

An excellent job on one of my favourite of Airfix kits.

The surface appearance is still superior to the Italeri one, in my opinion.

• Like 1

When looking at your photos, I really thought you had built a new tool Stirling from Airfix, such is the quality of your model.

It sure does not look like the old timer I once built!!! 

A bit sad that the decals show some silvering, but after all these years, it can be understood.

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Cracking result. I'm just completing an old Airfix Wellington. The old Airtfix Bomber Command kits do have their challenges.

Look forward to seeing your Wimpey!

I'll dig out some photos of my effort when I get a moment.

Lovely build mate, I had this kit as a teenager it was the biggest kit I'd had to day at the time found it very difficult as I remember mainly due to poor moulding and fit plus I didn't have the skill or the tools.  You've certainly made a very good job of it.    

• Like 1

A superb build on a classic Airfix model Simon.

I prefer the Airfix Stirling and the Airfix Sunderland to the Italeri ones. The Italeri ones have some really strange shape issues going on whereas Airfix got the look and character just right all those years ago.

The bomb tractor, trolleys and bombs were always a feature of the kit, so if they are missing from someone's kit then somebody has pinched them  ..............

Great job Simon.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2

Great, and inspirational, build.

I've got one lurking in a box, waiting for me to get the courage to tackle it.

I don't think it will turn out as well as yours has.

• Like 1