Mustang! Airfix 1/72 P51-D

Watching  the work in progress by Olivier de St Raph on the Missouri Aramada, I was compelled to start working on the Blue nosed P51-D from Airfix.

The high quality work and information in that thread kept my enthusiasm going long enough to actually finish the kit.

Starting with the interior;

IMG_3191

IMG_3196

IMG_3194

Left and right drop tanks don't make sense, so the right gas cap was filled and re-scribe d on the left.

IMG_3189

The panel lines on the wing were filled and the wheel wells painted.

IMG_3182

IMG_3183

First time using a rivet tool also the elevator counter-balance was etched.

IMG_3178

IMG_3180

Charlie in the foreground as Isis sees all.

IMG_3185

Enough you say?

On with the show.

IMG_3206

IMG_3208

IMG_3224

Vallejo White Aluminum for the body and Dull Aluminum for the wings.

IMG_3262

IMG_3256

Unfortunately the Testors flat clear lacquer reacted with the floor polish used for the transfers causing fine cracks and an instant war-weary look.

IMG_3214

IMG_3264

IMG_3254

IMG_3252

IMG_3253

IMG_3240

Rivets on the flaps are an absolute must.

IMG_3263

Thanks for looking.

Garry c

• Like 28

Thank you for your comments, the mud is Vallejo English Uniform, the white decals were finished with ash coloured weathering powder to tone them down.

Garry c

Good job.  How did you fare with the control column?  I have built four of these Airfix P-51s and managed to break the columns on three of them!  I also had to replace all the radio masts as the kit ones were shapeless blobs.  Apart from that I like the kit and plan on building a few more.

Andrew

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andwil said:

Good job.  How did you fare with the control column?  I have built four of these Airfix P-51s and managed to break the columns on three of them!  I also had to replace all the radio masts as the kit ones were shapeless blobs.  Apart from that I like the kit and plan on building a few more.

Andrew

The control stick broke into 3 pieces.  :wall: Next time I plan to use a soldering iron to melt the large sprues about 5mm around the column before I try to remove the piece. The radio mast was a blob, measured the length and made a replacement out of .4mm sheet styrene, lost it during unmasking and made another after the rest of the plane was finished.

Garry c

14 hours ago, Saddler said:

Congrats Garry C, good work, first P-51 ive seen on these pages with the 'correct' putty-filled panel lines on front wings :D

Thank you, I used AK white putty which shrinks when it dries, normally this is very frustrating but in this case some of the lines are barely visible which is just what I wanted.

Garry c

Your Feline Overlords seem pleased with your progress.

And so they should be, that is a right tidy Blue Nosed B*****d! (Of Bodney.) B)

Has anyone managed to complete one of these Airfix 'Stangs without breaking the control column??

• Like 1