1/72 DH Hornet F3

Hi,

I will be starting this one, 1/72 Special Hobby Hornet F3 with kit's marking for N0.33 Sqn , RAF Butterworth (now RMAF Butterworth, near to where I stay) , Malaya. this is the first time I'm building a short run multi media kit, hopefully I will have all the Mojos to finnish this one. 

41127663712_a82041a39c_b.jpg

• Like 12

I'll be looking to watch this come together, maybe my all time favourite aircraft. I believe it can be a challenging build so possibly slowly slowly with lots of test fitting & thinking through the steps is the way to tackle it.

Steve.

I'll take a back seat as well Thomas.

I agree with Steve, the DH Hornet is a beautiful aircraft and I also have this same kit in the ever growing stash. 

Mine (eventually) will be a silver / rocket armed No. 45 Squadron aircraft, so watching your progress may elevate this up the build queue a little.

Cheers and good luck... Dave   

• Like 1

<holds up hand>

Please sir, can I watch too? I have one of these in the stash and I'd like to see how it all works out...

To echo what has already been stated, beautiful aircraft and I believe that it's a tricksy kit to build.

I'll certainly follow this too. I've not knowingly seen one of these kits built, so get to it while I sit back and enjoy!! Good choice :-)

Guys, 

Thanks for the interest, I have a test build with the fuel tanks, this is not gonna be an easy build, first of all there is no locating pins to aid the assemble, and flashes are on the mating surface that need to be clean, Joint is not pretty, putty is needed .. More to come...

27370312698_4038730e4b_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Aidy, talk to you later..

SoftScience, thanks,Will look it up in UAMF..

and  some progress, every single parts of this kit need clean up of flashes and the thick sprue runner..

40528630235_9a3d41fa20_b.jpg

Painted the cockpit dark grey. and remove the plastic below cockpit to make way for resin gun ports later.

41423613851_87e487d480_b.jpg

Edited by masterqq
  • Like 6

Hey Guys,

Progress...

Assembled the fuselage, the resin gun ports fit batter than expected, also spent shell ejector ports are being drilled out.

Nacelles not too much of an issue.

41443503472_a7aa47d17a_b.jpg

The wing is butt jointed , so I added the plastic strips as an anchor for the join, I hope this will work

27613974848_b979ce2c52_b.jpg

The resin radiator is too narrow, so I added a strip of plastic shim, and wing will be assemble next..

41443503542_6323168df5_z.jpg

More later..

Edited by masterqq
  • Like 3

Robert,

Yup that's the plan, I will address the wing joint issue after I attached the nacelle to wing,..

And then the bloody canopy don't fit, I will remove some materials from where the windscreen sit and may be add some shims too..to be addressed later.

27613975128_f1930a7bc0_b.jpg

Edited by masterqq
  • Like 3

I like what you're doing here Thomas and thanks for providing detailed photos and suggesting many ideas for rectification. I say that canopy is no great fit. It's a shame it's not supplied in two parts, which would probably hide the gap and extra work now required. I don't suppose there is a vac-form replacement available? You could 'carefully' crack the kits canopy open, however what do you do if something goes wrong? 

Your doing a grand job with this kit, so just sending through my encouragement to help you keep going. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Rabbit Leader,

Thanks for the tips, it will be consider when I address it later.. :)

Anyway, The horizontal stabilizers are identically molded, that's mean the actuator will be facing the same side when assembled, So I cut out one of it and make one with epoxy putty.. now both will face downward with assemble.

Also added metal pin for strengthening the joint later.

26682605187_fbc997cee7_b.jpg

I'll be following along, as I hope to build my kit of this...someday. After my wife divorces me and takes the children perhaps. If my memory doesn't fail me, I believe the wing dihedral in the kit is off as well, canted too far upwards, I think.

1 hour ago, masterqq said:

Rabbit Leader,

Thanks for the tips, it will be consider when I address it later.. :)

Anyway, The horizontal stabilizers are identically molded, that's mean the actuator will be facing the same side when assembled, So I cut out one of it and make one with epoxy putty.. now both will face downward with assemble.

Also added metal pin for strengthening the joint later.

26682605187_fbc997cee7_b.jpg

Check you refs on this, it may be a DH thing as I believe having one up & one down is correct for Mosquitos.

Steve.

• Like 1

Steve,

You are right, I check and only see one side having the actuator, look like it is really having one up & one down, thanks for pointing that out to me. to be reverse back later.

40843289284_1c7e670734_m.jpg

Edited by masterqq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi ...

I wanted to replace the wing tip formation light with clear part, so I sawed off the kit part and add a chunk of clear plastic from the canopy spure, this will be sanded to shape later.. hope this will work..

41596969182_5405db61bb_z.jpg

Edited by masterqq
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

THanks Guys,

Softsciene, it is fun to overcome the issue one by be..:)

and more progress..

41774870492_033e667857_b.jpg

improved the canopy fitting

1, Remove material at "dashboard" for windscreen to fit

2, putty the area indicated

3, add chamfer to inner edge of canopy frame..

41774870312_7f3426218c_b.jpg

the wing tip lights sanded to shape, Replaced the actuator at port's tail stabilizer.

Plastic shims added to wing root to address wing dihedral issue.

26948987737_e640a32a8a_b.jpg

Putty needed on wing root and sanded smooth..painting nezt..

• Like 5

Thanks guys...

and started the painting process with Blue tac to aid the camo pattern masking.

40942631575_acc278a4ee_b.jpg

Top Camo done, Dark Green, Dark Sea Grey..next PRU blue on belly .

40942631395_f49cd11d6f_b.jpg

and I found that the kit's roundels have this red ring on it, I think it is out of register, I am looking for replacement roundels..

26948987327_70a0057c9e_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Finally have time to update after voted out our corrupt government last Wednesday ..

The kit's rocket rails are undersize and look horrible, I replaced them with the extra one from Tamiya Mosquito kit..

41816491871_2b9f88a9e4_b.jpg

Decaling is done..and spray on a layer of matt coat too.

41373914204_9f6879eeb6_b.jpg

But , I discover some crack lines on canopy after removing the mask, and there are some foreign objects in the cockpit, I have no idea how they get in there and no way of getting them out without doing further damage to canopy, I had sent a request for replacement canopy to Special Hobby, I hope they will response to me.

41373913634_1df7581009_b.jpg

41373913984_138d53d366_b.jpg

Otherwise , this kit is consider done.. more photo later..

41373913824_93df7ce2c3_b.jpg

• Like 6