Mosquito Pathfinder

This thread will document the construction of my 1:48 Tamiya Mosquito B. IV. I will build this aircraft as a member of the Pathfinder Force, from no. 109 squadron. 

Pathfinder mosquitoes utilized specialized electronics, like the Oboe transponder in order to navigate to target areas where they would precisely (in 1940s terms) drop their fire bombs and flares, lighting up target areas, and marking them for the main bomber stream that would follow. 

The particular aircraft I'm going to build is this. The project will be right out of the box. 

Image result for 109 sqn mosquitoes

I have always loved the Mosquito. My favorite being the NF II version. However, I chose the pathfinder for this build, as I think it better commemorates the immense contributions made by the RAF, and the scientists and engineers it employed, to electronic warfare, avionics technology. 

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 13

It isn't much to look at, but it's progress.

I sanded down the central ridges of the tyres to make them look a bit worn.

Note that I left the H-shaped cross-section to the tail wheel. 

Thisis correct! 

Don't fill it!

I also wanted to add some cast texture to the bombs. It doesn't show very well in the photos. I added a coat of Mr. Surfacer and then rolled them on a Brillo pad. I gave them a very light dry brushing. Still need to add the red bands (did this designate incindiary munitions??) And paint the tail fuses.

IMG_20180404_222502723_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, Robert. 

I'll have to read it in detail, but from skimming it, I see now that the red bands were pretty standard. Of course, Tamiya does NOT provide them as a decal. Which means doing it by hand, which means UUUGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I absolutely suck at painting bands on conical shapes. 

Maybe I'll have a closed bomb bay...

• Like 1

Finally a little bit of progress. Wheels are ready, as are the bombs, in all their wobbly red line glory. This is just my way of simulating the well documented drinking problem of the 109 squadron armorers. Yeah, that's it... ;)

IMG_20180408_002558880_HDR.jpg

I began masking the canopy and have painted the internal frames. Those were a royal pain in the butt. Tamiya gives you some decals, but I just could not get them to follow the curvature of the inner canopy.

Those of you who use decal strips for your canopy frames, I don't know how you do it without going batty.

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to remember that IWM Duxford has a couple of RAF marker bombs, and that they are black, with a red nose stripe and white stencilling (regarding  the marking colour, capacity, etc).  I also think the RAF Museum at Hendon has some examples, too.

i might have some photos but can't access them - the laptop is away at the repairers so I'm forced to use this iPad!

I should check.

Hope this helps,

Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

A quickening pace!

Still nothing fancy. I even used the tacky decal seatbelts. Once again though, it should look alright through the canopy.

IMG_20180505_215825312_HDR.jpg

Oops. Better paint the edge of that instrument panel.

• Like 1