Airfix 1/72 B-29A Superfortress

My effort at an ancient Airfix kit from 1965 and in places it shows. Not too difficult to build although the bomb doors weren't a great fit. Took a fair bit of weight to sit properly.  I modified it to represent the Enola Gay as it was in 1945. This involved removing the four remote gun turrets and using a Superscale sheet for the markings. Sprayed using Vallejo silver and aluminum.

27291469128_1fb88f17eb_b.jpg20180401_192711_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

40269674145_daf8fe7387_b.jpg20180401_192650_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

27291469498_80ee934d67_b.jpg20180401_192639_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

40269674465_b23fe5da74_b.jpg20180401_192624_edit by dereknferguson, on Flickr

• Like 62
  • Thanks 1

I have very fond memories of building this kit and yours is an absolute corker,......well done indeed,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

A very impressive build of a classic kit.

I can remember mine almost not being completed way back in time. I had a hell of a time deciding whether to add the gun turrets to the kit as intended or to use them as dalek/robots to fight with my Airfix figures!

The plane won in the end, after a few major battles on the lino. The 'daleks' were rubbish at crossing over carpet and my US Marine bazooka teams took them out without trouble at that point.

Happy memories!

Great to see this classic Airfix kit built up so well, rivets and all.

Like Stew said this kit was also the Holy Grail for me too. When we were at primary school in Suffolk in the 1960s our teacher would let us read comics from the store room if it was raining heavy outside. Does anybody else remember those Airfix adverts with line drawings of the latest kits available from FW Woolworths and all good model shops that appeared in boys comics at the time.

resized_29655ab7-8406-45e8-b7c9-4c87f930

Oh how I wished I could have been that boy, admiring my new shiny Airfix Superfortress built so well by someone other than my dad who was not that good at building models.

I still remember that shopping trip with my mum to Ipswich. We entered the big Woolworths store and went down I think an escalator into the basement and there straight in front of me was the Airfix kits with the new giant B-29 Superfortress taking pride of place with that exciting action artwork. I so wanted one for years yet it somehow eluded me, there were always other distractions like the new Airfix Lockheed Hercules for my tenth birthday or the FROG Shackleton or the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire for Christmas.

fe92bdf9-e257-4ca6-9625-647d50edc0dd.jpg

Now I do have one in my unbuilt collection, but it is a Humbrol  1980s issue in light grey plastic with most of the action missing of the box. But maybe one day.

Thanks for bringing back those memories Derek.

cheers,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 4

Hello,Derek - This Beauty was the true ‘Superkit’ of the day back in the ‘60’s.As a young lad then I was awestruck with it.Fast forward a little and I’m equally impressed with this fabulous build of her and she’s a fine tribute to this classic kit.

👏😉👍All The Best,Paul.

Beautiful piece of work.   I remember building that with my dad back in the day, it came out pretty good from memory.  Dad though built one entirely unaided by myself and used foil, as he was a bit of a perfectionist it was better than our joint effort.

I'm glad this one has provoked so many memories. It was an Airfix kit I never built in my youth but 40 years later there it is. I just need somewhere big enough to put it now....

Nice job! 

I did actually get this one as a kid and it joined my ceiling display, only to be "shot down" by my Gran (who borrowed my room when she stayed) when she clouted it with her arm while dressing!

I picked up the pieces, glued it back together and re hung it. That was in the '70s, it now sits in my Dad's loft with all my other childhood kits.

Ian

• Like 1

This turned out very well. Nice work and it is a kit, which I haven't seen built very often!  I  always wanted one as a kid  but the pocket money  never allowed it. I remember the late 70' when I was always starring at the box with that beautiful art in my local hobbyshop. But out of reach for me. I don't know, if they will make a new one like their B-17 or Wellington etc, but they should do a new Stirling or Do 217 family first. The Academy is a very good kit imho and more often seen being built. Anyway this is obviously the main reason why everyone wanted one as a kid apart from the fact that it's one of the four engined heavies:

thumb-1920-189116.jpg

Cheers

Edited by bbudde

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That was in the '70s, it now sits in my Dad's loft with all my other childhood kits.

For me it was the sixties but planes in my my airforce had an average lifespan of ten months. Every November, they got loaded up with penny bangers, making room for the Christmas supply in December and the birthday supply in February!  There's something hypnotic for a small boy to see a Spit or an Me109 suddenly converted to plastic shrapnel.

I also dreamed of this "expensive" kit in the 70's. I only managed to buy an Airfix B-29 (second-hand, in a swap meet) in the 90's, when then the new Academy B-29 1/72 was "in fashion", and those old jewels from Airfix and FROG (as well as vacuum-formed kits) have gone down in price.

• Like 1