Avro 504K, 1/32, Scratchbuild

Looking great. I find second and third wings can be a nightmare, very much dependent on the level of model engineering employed, luck and whether the glue sets. I’ve struggled with some (he51- compound angles kit struts not the right length) and some have been a breeze ( pup rebuild worked the first time, almost fell together) I’d imagine just the weight and size of the Avro made it tricky.

• Like 1

Glad to see that you managed to get the struts on in the end. BTW I mentioned adding the outer struts: if you look carefully at the photos you will see that I always add pairs of struts to avoid the wing sag problem that you encountered. Never mind you have got there - brilliant! And has been commented the weight will not have helped either. Now you have got this far you can be thinking of a scratch build 1/32 pusher.....

P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sandbagger said:

Bryan Ferry of Roxie Music

Well done! A bit late but well done! 👍 

2 hours ago, Chaotic Mike said:

For a period, Brian Eno was married to my aunt's sister. 

Which practically makes you royalty around here! 🤴 

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

Now you have got this far you can be thinking of a scratch build 1/32 pusher.....

Hmmmmmm...🤔 Not going to happen! I think I’ve done my biplane time! 

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yes - but one day I shall complete my training and become a Jedi!

Then you'll be able to build that pusher!

Ian

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

which looks a bit rough in close-up, but it's done now.

Oh, we've all been there. Woken up the next day and wondered what we've done...

I'M BAAAAACK!!!! :yahoo:

Did you miss me? I know you did; I even got a mention in absentia. 🤩

Moved house. Never really unpacked the model gear. Spent 2019 doing pointless stuff like working on the house, commuting to and from work (which now takes nearly 4 hours a day), losing my mind due to the kids, etc, etc. 2020 has rolled around and I've decided all that other stuff can take a flying leap, and I'm setting up the bench again. :penguin:

Obviously my first port of call was to come back and offer my congratulations on the fabulous finished 504... :pilot:

Oh, wait...

Well. Nevermind. I guess the silver lining is that this thread lives on, the political horrors of 2019 can be shut away, and we can all get on with some good and wholesome modelling discussion. 

On 1/2/2020 at 2:22 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

It went hard and grippy and set in about five seconds once the light was on it

:frantic:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Disaster

Whoops - once again this software has just 'auto-posted' on me.  But I can assure you that that is not the disaster!

Following attaching the stupid top wing on this thing there was a bit of sanding needed both above the top wing and the bottom of the lower wing. This was to remove the stubs of the struts that had stuck through and to clean up any filler and glue and so-forth. Following a second application of home-made PC10 it was time to apply the roundels on the wings. 

MCuzjhB.jpg

I don't have RFC / RAF WW1 1/32 decals readily available so decided, despite severe trepidation, to try painting them. After all, the roundels on the fuselage look OK and I painted them on.

ArLrrkr.jpg

If the masking is done sufficiently carefully ,and if I use some pledge to seal the edges of circle, I might just get away with it. 

hfSI0Fh.jpg

White goes on first...

oIrLu1X.jpg

and then a second circle, slightly smaller than the first gets cut and...

emy8xpQ.jpg

gets stuck on over the top of the first circle. This defines a fine white outer rim, which is only present on the topside roundel - thank goodness. It's critical that this rim is an even width all the way around, so the little printed squares on the masking sheet are very helpful here.

HiSzq7C.jpg

With a bit of careful marking out I can get all of the circles cut nice and concentrically - all around a common centre. Hopefully the final roundel won't be all wonky.

pvcQH2j.jpg

Stick the middle ring on to protect the white...

bzlh4MP.jpg

Stick the outer ring on to protect where the blue will go...

gXE9hr7.jpg

and seal it all up with liquid masking.

FPmIDRO.jpg

Spray red - easy business this. 

jhJd1xP.jpg

Remove the masking over the blue ring and blank out the red.

Eicje0P.jpg

Spray again.  Hmmm - looks a bit wonky here now with some colour on it doesn't it. How did that happen?

iYQCvbH.jpg

Topside roundel.  Hope that edge is nice and even.  Now with some colour on the masking I can see more clearly that the fine outer rim looks a bit - ummmm - dodgy!

mSLPm2R.jpg

Oh dear. So much for removing masking providing a moment of joy. How did I get it all that wrong? 

xoRUTWo.jpg

I think that the underside is passable - just... (especially since it will be rarely seen)

UgxS2Et.jpg

But the topside is a disaster! What a total mess! 😥

ccev3vk.jpg

My wife, very sagely, told me to put it aside for 24 hours and don't even think about it in the meantime.  Probably a good idea least the whole project end up as firewood. 

Anyone know of any good WW1 decal sets I can buy in 1/32 scale? 4.5cm outer diameter.

Can't wait to get to work tomorrow - it will allow me to think of something else.  

Bandsaw Steve... 😧

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

I am supposed to sleeping but am actually formulating plan B. 

First step - sand back to start again. I think this might be OK yet. 👍

The hard part is that stupid little thin white rim around the outside. 🤬

• Like 4

sorry to see that Steve.  Looks like the tape wasn't burnished down enough to make the seal.

the good news is that it's painted and as you pointed out, you can simply sand back and repaint.  I have had similar troubles recently with paint bleeding under masks when I've used Tamiya tape.

A few of the folks on here recommend Oramask as a good masking medium - is it worth getting some to try it out?

Another alternative - since the outer ring is white - is to use white decal paper - You could print the entire roundel with a very fine black line outside the white ring as a guide to trimming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use some decal film and a circle cutter instead? You can buy white or clear off the inter web the just paint up the film and cut out the appropriate rings or discs. I usually use a circle punch for the red inner dots.

just realised this is more or less what Hendie just said.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

And it was all going so well.... Personally I paint the cockades by hand using dividers to demarcate the rings but I do not think that is appropriate for this scale. An alternative is to print your own as Hendie has suggested - I did that for my Gunbus and I was happy with the result - although I did not have that damned outer white ring to worry about.

P

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shortCummins said:

did the pledge seal it as well as you'd hoped

Yes - that technique works well - especially on those occasions when I remember to use it. 😳

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

You can buy white or clear off the inter web the just paint up the film and cut out the appropriate rings or discs. 

Now you’re talking!

5 hours ago, hendie said:

Looks like the tape wasn't burnished down enough to make the seal.

the good news is that it's painted and as you pointed out, you can simply sand back and repaint.

Yes and yes to both comments.

I think I can see my way clear to an answer here and will probably start work tonight. 

In this case I think that the root of all the problems - apart from my tightwad reluctance to buy decals and the general nightmare of painting multiple perfectly aligned concentric circles with a fine white outer rim- is the fact that I have used ‘hollow’ or ‘negative’ masks. I have tried to define each painted disk (or at least some of them) by defining the outside of the circle not the inside. An outside mask, where the mask is laid down first and paint is sprayed through the hole is much harder to get a consistent controlled shape from. Better to paint the required colour and then mask that area with a ‘positive’ mask; a disc that projects the exact shape required.

Also next time around, as suggested, I will be making more use of decals. The red dot in the fuselage roundel is a decal, I should have done the same here.

Sanding the old paint back might be ‘fun’ the top wing is already starting to get a bit wobbly...

Biplanes eh....

Why did I pick a biplane???

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

If you're really struggling, I probably have some decals of the correct diameter.

Martian 👽

Now we’re talking!
I’ll have at least one more crack on my own before calling on extra-terrestrial help though. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sanding the old paint back might be ‘fun’ the top wing is already starting to get a bit wobbly...

Or you can remove the paint with a careful application of cellulose thinners on a big of rag, has worked for me.

Stuart

• Thanks 1