Avro 504K, 1/32, Scratchbuild

4 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Awesome wheels Steve! :clap2:

Thank you.

I hope you will forgive me for saying I am rather pleased with myself regarding these wheels. 👌

I had a few false starts on these, not documented here, but the final result is better than I had hoped for, especially WRT the strength of the resulting structure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

it gave me a chance to go and see that haberdashery sales assistant that Hendie seems to be obsessed with. 

hey - You were the one who started flirting with her.  Then led her on...    Then changed allegiances.  How ungentlemanly of you.

I'd never do anything like that!

nice to see the undercarriage all buttoned up at last.  

• Like 1

Lovely work. Having a Lathe  must be a great advantage for scratchbilding. (hmm I wonder if my Dad still has that unimat 1 in the attic) Your circle punches nearly made me brake my (self imposed) ebay moratorium ( I buy way too much junk so I said I wouldn't buy anything else till at least September) :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Your circle punches nearly made me brake my (self imposed) ebay moratorium ( I buy way too much junk so I said I wouldn't buy anything else till at least September) :) 

Ahhh!

Mine were a gift from my dad who has deemed them surplus to the requirements of his 1/32 scale tram building operation!

Thanks Dad! 👍

"See if you can work out what's going on...and which rock group was I was playing on my little portable DVD player.  I'll give you a clue, it's not David Bowie - who was trained as a mime artist - but it's one of his contemporaries and this band apparently used to play in a support role to Bowie on the odd occasion".

I'm thinking Bryan Ferry (Roxie Music) and if I'm not mistaken, singing 'This is tomorrow'

Mike

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:04 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Try googling ‘Bonney Gull’

Possibly the most eccentric and dangerous aircraft to ever fly - albeit only briefly and with fatal consequences.

Looks like something from 'Dastardly and Muttley'... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandbagger said:

I'm thinking Bryan Ferry (Roxie Music) and if I'm not mistaken, singing 'This is tomorrow'

Well Done Sir - An expert eye! Questionable spelling perhaps? 😀 but an expert eye. 👁 

👍👍👍

A cure for insomnia

Sooner or later every one of my threads has an entry that goes like this...    Inspect, Fill, Sand, Repeat.    Sorry folks - this is it...  

It'll be a great read for anyone who has trouble sleeping.  :tired: 

At the end of the my last post I said that this one might be about the undercarriage skid thing that sticks out the front of the aircraft.  Then I inspected my work and noted  the many rift-valley sized gaps there were in this thing; see the red annotations on the photo below. I decided instead that It was time to do some filling...

MPsMtWp.jpg

I often use masking tape when filling to try to limit the spread of the mucky, sticky stuff (in this case pink two-part car filler). 

qHTwm2F.jpg

Here's where I got to after the first application.  The masking has worked well.

JrpWANd.jpg

This was followed - unsurprisingly - by a bout of sanding. I was fairly pleased with this outcome.

2ZIkFTE.jpg

So inspected again, and filled again...

8lf4Mag.jpg

and sanded and inspected and filled. By the third round I had moved to Vallejo fine grained filler which has the same consistency of toothpaste but dries rock hard. It's my favourite filler that's actually intended for model building.

tNGj7nB.jpg

I let it dry then sanded again...

ZpgYmwi.jpg

Masked the open cockpit with some old upholstery foam. This stuff is great for this purpose;  washing up sponges are also pretty good!

Fj92owl.jpg

I then sprayed with some automotive 'one-step' primer & putty. This is fairly thick gluggy stuff and can be a bit scary to spray because it fair slathers on and...

ujbwwnA.jpg

can leave a bit of an orange-skin effect as shown here.  Despite the thickness of this particular primer many underlying surface imperfections are still visible.

jZ11clg.jpg

See what I mean.

oB2SCwM.jpg

So there's nothing for it but... Inspect, fill and sand... again...  :tired:  ffOKWKf.jpg

Then switch to a fine surface primer and 'spray and pray'... :pray:

f3cS8zD.jpg

Ahhh!  Looking better.

lebbJCp.jpg

Might be one or two more rounds of inspect, fill sand to go. 

But I won't bore you further.   If you have got this far I'm surprised! 👍

Will try for something more exciting next time round.

Best Regards,

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 13

It's my favorite filler that's actually intended for model building.

For some reason I love this statement. Not sure why, I do use Pollyfiller and CA sometimes so maybe it's that.

Sand/fill/paint/inspect rinse repeat, somehow I find this comforting :)

By the last iteration it's starting to look very very good.

• Thanks 1

We all have the "fill, sand, inspect, repeat" bit in our threads, so no problem there! 

I'd take a look at the edges of the rear cockpit opening though. One looks wider than the other, and neither flows smoothly from front to rear.

My apologies if you have that already lined up as a to do item!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Oh this reads as a familiar routine.... as Stuart has written it is normal for scratch builders. It is also a necessary one if we want to make a decent model. After all of the incredible work that you have done until now, a bit of filling is well worthwhile. This is shaping up to be a real gem.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Sand/fill/paint/inspect rinse repeat, somehow I find this comforting :)

Yes I agree.

Despite claiming above that this is all very boring, the truth Is I actually find it quite therapeutic and enjoyable. Nothing too challenging and it’s an activity that rewards patience with a satisfyingly smooth more ‘finished’ product.

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'd take a look at the edges of the rear cockpit opening though. One looks wider than the other, and neither flows smoothly from front to rear.

Yep - the rear cockpit is a bit narrower- front to rear - than the front cockpit. Strictly speaking I think they should both be identical dimensions. This might have remain a ‘talking point’ on the finished model. 😀

As for smoothing out the edges, the original had some leather padding running around both cockpit edges. I intend to represent this later on in the build, probably after painting. My hope is that this will smooth out the sharper corners. I’m not quite sure how to make and attach the padding though- I’m thinking doing something with rolled-up sausages of FIMO. Any suggestions welcome. 👍

Morning!

Been a while since I posted but have been following the build with interest and no little excitement to see the finished model.

Could you use the outer covering of electrical cable to represent the padding around the cockpits? If you remove the inner cores and then cut a slit along the length it should just slip over the edge of the plastic and give a nicely rounded profile.

Hopefully this makes up for the ideas involving lights and motors?!?

• Thanks 1

I’m not quite sure how to make and attach the padding though- I’m thinking doing something with rolled-up sausages of FIMO. Any suggestions welcome

46166760715_f91db9477a_z.jpg

For the padding I  elrctrical heatshrink slit on one side then ca'd in place and painted.  I'm using 1mm ~ 48mm in 1/48 you'd probab;y use 2mm for 1/32. Bought from ebay.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yep - the rear cockpit is a bit narrower- front to rear - than the front cockpit. Strictly speaking I think they should both be identical dimensions. This might have remain a ‘talking point’ on the finished model. 😀

Actually I meant left side to right side on the rear cockpit look different but it could be an optical illusion.

Re the coaming, I use Mr Dissolved Putty, applied with a small paintbrush bit by bit. 

Ian

• Thanks 1