Supermarine Scimitar, 1/48 scale

Artie

Good morning all....

Yesterday, we shared an excellent day out both at a local restaurant, enjoying a bunch of local food, wine, etc..and later at our local club, talking about models and future projets.

My friend Juan Begines, the guy behind "Scratchaeronautics", asked me wich plane would I like to see in 1/48 scale, for him to develope it...lots of planes were named, some of them already available, others not so easy to get...

Amongst all the proposals, the Supermarine Scimitar seemed to be a good option....maybe the wine payed its role and we were just dreaming about it, but he insisted it was a feasible project..

His Narval in 1/48 is now in preorder status, so he decided to start working with a Scimitar..and now, the question....

Do you think it would be  a nice option, or are we talking nonsenses..?????  a 1/48 scale Scimitar in resin will not be an easy affair, and lots of info must be compiled...

Best regards from Tenerife....

http://scratchaviation.webs.com/

PORTADA%20NARVAL.jpg

• Like 4

unless it's a 1 april fools day joke,nonsense about the scimitar ? come on ,

i want one or two or ................

and what about a 1/48 avro cf-100 mk5 ????????????????? wishfull thinking?????????????????

2 minutes ago, frankie said:

unless it's a 1 april fools day joke,nonsense about the scimitar ? come on ,

i want one or two or ................

and what about a 1/48 avro cf-100 mk5 ????????????????? wishfull thinking?????????????????

:lol: We don't celebrate "April fools day" here in Spain, my friend.....Juan was talking seriously, I'm afraid...

The Canuck seems a very difficult project to my eyes, but who knows, that guy is crazy about bizarre planes....

He's planning some Luft 46 projects that made me laugh yesterday, but who knows, everyone has his own axe to grind....

Cheers...

Hi Artie

A 1/48 scale Scimitar would be a big lump of resin and would not be cheap.

I of course would still buy one a few despite predominantly being a 1/72 man.

The CF-100,I would suggest would be easier to make having less complex shapes than the Scimitar but would still be a lot of resin.

It's not an aircraft I would build in that scale though.

If your friend does go ahead with a Scimitar PM me if my archives are of any interest.

Richard

46 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Would love another Scimitar in 48th, but not resin, would rather stick to my vacform Dynavector kits.

Of course, I agree with you 100%.....I'd rather build a, lets say, Airfix Scimitar, but up until then, the only game in town are a Dynavector kit (if you can find one), or the old Sanger, wich IMHO, will give lots of funny hours and entertainment (let's be polite here).....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Artie said:

...or the old Sanger, wich IMHO, will give lots of funny hours and entertainment (let's be polite here).....

...that's a good way of putting it!

I'm really hoping that an injected Scimitar won't be too far away now, maybe Special Hobby territory.

• Like 1

At some point, I put all my hopes in Trumpeter, but, lets face it, it would had been a question of heads or tails, so I began building an old Sanger vacform, that's why I tried to be polite. I really appreciate any effort in giving us the chance to build such an important plane...

It's quite difficult for me to understand why, in 2018, we're still waiting for certain planes to be realesed in 1/48 scale, such as the Scimitar, the Tiger Moth, the Percival Provost, the Swift.....a few come to my mind...

The best thing about Juan, is the fact that he desn't make his living from the kits he sells, so he doesn't matter if it's not a good seller......just makes scratchbuilt models for the pleasure of doing bizarre subjects....In fact, I'm tempting him to make an Hispano Aviación HA1112M4L, better known as "Buchón two seater", and an Hispano Nieuport 52, a well known spanish built sesquiplane wich saw widespread use during the early days of the SCW...

The Scimitar idea popped up  during a succulent lunch, with more Tenerife wine than expected....he borrowed all the books and magazines covering the subject that he could find at home, and decided it would be his next project.....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 3

I think a Scimitar will be along before too long in 1/48 likely Special Hobby or, possibly Dora. The Luft' 46 would be a better bet if that's what interests Juan then so much the better. There seems to be a steady market for them which would work well for a cottage industry.The Huma 1/72 range may give some hints, I used to see plenty of those made up. THIS may help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I think a Scimitar will be along before too long in 1/48 likely Special Hobby or, possibly Dora. The Luft' 46 would be a better bet if that's what interests Juan then so much the better. There seems to be a steady market for them which would work well for a cottage industry.The Huma 1/72 range may give some hints, I used to see plenty of those made up. THIS may help.

That's a question with a difficult answer....He doesn't choose a subject because it's intended to be a good seller, but because he likes it....

How on earth would a completely sane modeller decide to scratch built an Hispano Aviación HA100 Triana..???  For any commercial interest??? Don't think so...

The Scimitar idea popped up after a (more than) a few glasses of tasty, fruity, Tenerife white  wine (highly recomended, from the Vilaflor area, Malvasía variety), had been consumed...:penguin::penguin::penguin:

Here in Spain if you think about a difficult challenge, and want someone to get involved or, even better, do it, just tell him: "NO GUTS".

That sentence, combined with some spirits, can play miracles.....

Edited by Artie
  • Like 3

A well-designed Scimitar would be attractive, but if I were him, I'd rather hurry, as I'd also consider it a relatively logical subject for medium run producers like SH. Who incidentally are just about to release (or have already ?) Meteor NF's in 72nd (shots were at Lingen 10 days ago), so a 48th version may very well be on the table.

Clunk ? Is the Hobbycraft kit so scarce and/or bad ?

BTW, your message got through, but if you move a couple hundred miles north westerly, there's the excellent Pico. May make an interesting comparison.

And finally, there seems to be a typo on the box art for the Narval (hint: What is it made from ?)...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Clunk ? Is the Hobbycraft kit so scarce and/or bad ?

I have one in the stash. Not easy to come by. The rivet counters will no doubt say there are errors, but show me a kit without? Looks like a Clunk to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tempestfan said:

BTW, your message got through, but if you move a couple hundred miles north westerly, there's the excellent Pico. May make an interesting comparison.

And finally, there seems to be a typo on the box art for the Narval (hint: What is it made from ?)...

Talking about Pico Teide...????? Not the best place to enjoy a few glasses of wine.....Altitude play havoc when you drink there....I've seen lots of people getting absolutely drunk with just five beers...

Cheers---

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I mean this Pico. A Sao Jorge is delicious accompanying it.

Wait, isn't this the Wine & Cheese Connaisseur Forum ???

My fault...!! You were talking about our portuguese neighbours....In fact, both the Canaries, Azores and Madeira, belong to the same oceanic platform, called Macaronesia. 

And here in Tenerife, when we talk about the Pico, we mean Father Teide, our beloved  volcano....In our ancestor's aborigin lenguage, Tenerife meant "mountain covered in white"

Cheers..

Edited by Artie

5 hours ago, squezzer said:

I would like to built the SO 8000 Narval but I wonder how to glue polyurethane REIN? :idea:

Quite easy indeed: Just use Cyanolate...:lol:

He's been warned to correct it...He's looking for better cardboard boxes witj a nicer box art....step by step, things are getting better..It's been a "one man affair" up until now...

Cheers...