Gnatty thread

Here's the kit I planned to build - something that shouts 'RAF' without being a Spitfire.....

AX55105.jpg?t=

... and here's the kit I'm actually going to build   ( slightly different take on the obligatory 'kit not started' picture courtesy of Lucy(fur) the dog.....  )

IMG_20180328_191110478

Now what was that shade of red called again... ?  :)

• Like 1

Lots of googling later, and I won't be following Airfix's instructions for cockpit colour (black).  Nearest match I can see is some kind of bluey-grey, so trying it out with Humbrol 144 for now.

• Like 1

Was trawling t'interweb when I discovered that white flying gloves have apparently gone out of fashion and the discerning Red Arrows pilot sports black gloves and green g-suit.

First attempt at painting thusly leave a lot of room for improvement.  Especially the one that looks like he's part-way turning into The Hulk.   A thinner hairy stick may be in order.....

Thanks for the note re Humbrol 126, off to compare pictures and paint tins.

Edited by IanHx

Opened up my non-starter set Gnat and the instructions are indeed more useful !  Thinner brush found and the G-trousers are starting to look a bit more like this - or as close as I can get with wobbly brush ,fading eyes and low standards !

Survival%20Equipment.jpg

12 hours ago, IanHx said:

low standards

Low flying takes a special skill ;)

I came across this thread - Ray Hana memorial thread on PRRuNE, some of the photo links with 'team' in the name refer to his time with the Red Arrows - and there is a photo there of the man himself wearing white gloves (1967 team 4, here)

To: Mr & Mrs Cuthbertson

Re: Flying Officer Cuthbertson

It is with much regret that I write to inform you that young Freddie has decided to become a Gnat backseater.

His legs were just too wide to fit around the central console, so we had no choice but to turn him into a eunoch.

And the less said about the control column the better. On the plus side the station choir now has a full complement of sopranos.

With deepest regrets

Wing Commander Handlebar Twirlybits

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress, partially due to being maimed by the carpet monster... ( pulled muscle, can't twist round to pick dropped bits off the floor ).

So far, this kit has been plain gnasty. "Starter Kit" my posterior- if I'd been given this as a youngster to get into modelling I wouldn't be making them now !  Seems to have been designed by someone with a particular dislike of modellers - eg glue the delicate breakable bits on first which just happen to be right where your fingers need to go to press the fuselage together....

Fuselage halves joined together, next up attaching the wings...which have been designed to pull the rear pilot out of the cockpit if you're not paying attention while dry-fitting.  Wonder how I learned that ? :hmmm:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you are having problems Ian, both yourself and with the build.

I had a quick glance at the instructions (on line), and can see potential problems, and that's without having seen the plastic in real life.  That's a pity, 'cause I feel the Gnat is (was) an attractive little jet.

It does sound as though you are overcoming the problems though

47 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

It does sound as though you are overcoming the problems though

Nothing insurmountable  so far, just slightly disappointed  it hasn't  been as simple as I was hoping for.

It's one of those kits that you get to the end of, and say well at least it's over now, you made it, ....and OMG THERE'S ANOTHER ONE OF THE BLIGHTERS IN THE STASH !

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Nothing insurmountable  so far, just slightly disappointed  it hasn't  been as simple as I was hoping for.

It's one of those kits that you get to the end of, and say well at least it's over now, you made it, ....and OMG THERE'S ANOTHER ONE OF THE BLIGHTERS IN THE STASH !

:rofl:Ah, but you know better now

• 2 weeks later...

Ok it's been a while since I posted some pics, so time to put that right.

First up, the 2 halves before gluing :

IMG_20180421_115311254

I'd like to say it was straightforward... but it wasn't.  Ended up trimming quite a bit off the front pilot's backside just to get him low enough in the seat for the canopy to fit.

Next fun part was fitting the plate between the main landing gear :

IMG_20180422_084126546

Wheel wells kept popping out. Eventually got them to not immediately pop out, at which point decided to quit while I was ahead and adopt a " that'll do" attitude !

Latest progress : wheels on, coat of paint on, a few aerials and point bits left.   And the clear bits.

IMG_20180506_201722315

No visible brush hairs embedded in the paint, so happy with that. Also happy with Humbrol 238. Paint tin gives some indicator of just how small and fiddly this thing is !

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...