New kits arrive on the bench...

I got lucky at a local auction over the weekend and scored a few nice looking early Airfix kits.

I've been after a UK issue of this one for years, but this US Airfix version will do for now...

Airfix_Hustler.jpg

Although it's the RAF version I would have much preferred, I'm not too unhappy with the rarer BEA issue. 

Airfix_Argosy.jpg

I also managed to score the one Airfix Dogfight Double kit that has eluded me so far. The decals are missing though, does anyone have a spare set?

Dinah_F4_DD_final.jpg

To finish off a highly successful outing, I also picked up four more easily available kits. A very good day out!

LIGHTNING.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Wow! That was a good day.

I've never seen the Hustler kit before. Maybe the same plastic as the Monogram?

The Argosy too. Probably ultra rare and worth a lot to the collectors.

I'd check on line for collector prices on all of them TBH

• Like 1

Wow Tony  ............... I have never seen those before, that Argosy looks great, and how did that Dogfight Double elude me ?

I need to start a new Airfix catalogue.

What date is it today? Oh yeh, Easter Day  ............  see what happens when you eat too much chocolate

Great one Tony , which one are you going to build first ?

cheers,   adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Don't forget to pick up a tin of red and white striped paint for the Argosy cheat lines...

I've checked my paint supplies, all I have is a tin of Red/White. I need White/Red. I'll try painting it upside down, that might get me around the problem.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

I've checked my paint supplies, all I have is a tin of Red/White. I need White/Red. I'll try painting it upside down, that might get me around the problem.

Hi Tony, would this be of any help to you

resized_f70bfa7a-110c-410e-9d0e-bd57280f

cheers,   adey

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, adey m said:

Hi Tony, would this be of any help to you

cheers,   adey

That's the one I already have!

I've tried painting upside down, as I said earlier, but the paint just ran out the can and down my arm. it's made a terrible mess.

It's a good job finds like these only seem to happen once a year or so!

Edited by TonyW
  • Haha 2

What a great haul!

I had the old XM192 Lightning back in the'60's.

That will keep you going for a while. ;)

Edited by Neil.C

A bit of nonsense to pass a First of April, but that's all folks.

These boxes do exist, but only in my computer, created via the devil that is Photoshop.

I get the feeling nobody was fooled. I'll just have to try a bit harder next year.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TonyW said:

A bit of nonsense to pass a First of April, but that's all folks.

These boxes do exist, but only in my computer, created via the devil that is Photoshop.

I get the feeling nobody was fooled. I'll just have to try a bit harder next year.

Tony.

I think you've done a great job with the box art, they certainly look the part. 

Thanks for putting a smile on my face :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "Airfix B-58" would have been far more effective had it been labeled "Convair B-58." Rockwell never had anything to do with the B-58!

(I grew up in Fort Worth, Texas, home of Convair's plant, and a late cousin was one of the project engineers on the B-58. The Hustler is still one of all-time favorite aircraft.)

I’ve got no red/ white striped paint, sadly, but I’ve had good results using red/white chequer paint in short vertical strokes. I can swap a tin of it for some 5-colour lozenge paint. My local shop only has the 4 colour and I need some for my SSW. I’ve got an old tin of Compucolour lozenge, but the colours are way off.

Edited by Andy Robbins

Airfix never corrected the Hustler’s title, I think it’s because the moulds were based on the early prototype. Despite what you see on the box, the mouldings have the bulged observer’s window, fabric covered control surfaces and the Cheyenne turret. A bit like the NA39 becoming the Buccaneer. I’ve got one of the original YB-58 kits in the red/yellow box, as well as the Ferguson tractor in the RAF airfield boxing. And no, I’m NOT selling either of them!

Edited by Andy Robbins

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'll just have to try a bit harder next year.

It was great! The Argosy had me double checking. That box art was better than the real thing.

When I was a kid I was very affected by an ad in Woolworths showing polka dot paint, and to this day I still can't velieve we don't have striped paint!

Regards,

Adrian

1 hour ago, Andy Robbins said:

Airfix never corrected the Hustler’s title, I think it’s because the moulds were based on the early prototype. Despite what you see on the box, the mouldings have the bulged observer’s window, fabric covered control surfaces and the Cheyenne turret. A bit like the NA39 becoming the Buccaneer. I’ve got one of the original YB-58 kits in the red/yellow box, as well as the Ferguson tractor in the RAF airfield boxing. And no, I’m NOT selling either of them!

LOL! I guess that's your story and you're sticking to it! :lol:

33 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It was great! The Argosy had me double checking. That box art was better than the real thing.

When I was a kid I was very affected by an ad in Woolworths showing polka dot paint, and to this day I still can't velieve we don't have striped paint!

Regards,

Adrian

Every time I visit Scotland I order tartan custard! Very tasty!

Ian