"Nil Time" Local interest Spit XVIe

As I'm building a Tempest V over in the Hawker (Siddeley) GB, I thought I'd commemorate the RAF centenary with another aircraft type from my local R.Aux.A.F. squadron, No501 (County of Gloucester).

Having already build four of their operational types, and with no5 under way, this build will be the final piston engined fighter they flew; the low back, Packard powered Spitfire LF XVIe.

For the purposes of which, I acquired this kit:

azm73004_2.jpg

Final decision on codes and scheme will follow later.

This will likely be an OOB build, though I may see about sourcing replacement guns. Decals will be a combination of kit and AM items

• Like 6

Sprue shots and decals, I'll likely not use any of the decals except the stencils, since the codes aren't valid for my build, and the blue in the roundels looks way too bright to me.

jIJXIbA.jpg

Work begins with the cockpit as normal, rather more in this one than the Tempest, but it went together fairly well, (though I'm not sure why I bothered adding the Oxygen bottles, since they are completely invisible in the fuselage.)

Tamiya IJN cockpit green, Athonian Camoshade, then a few different Citadel and Vallejo acrylics, and we have this.

QYkH0bP.jpg

Closing up the fuselage and adding main-planes gave me this after an overnight drying period. The fit at the wing root is pretty poor, it will need some fairly expansive filling. So I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

XrrxwjY.jpg

TTFN

Edit: Need to dig out Nil Time, find a decent overhead shot of a subject, and check cannon blisters, since they are separate parts.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Like 2