1/48th Monogram B-25H Mitchell, 75mm Howitzer, Italy 1944!... FINISHED!!!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I`m still plodding away at this model,.....

The black area for the inside of the mouth has been added, while the doped tape area around the armour plating has been replicated too, as per the photo under the model,... using dark green paint;

40610156045_1857cd554e_k.jpgDSCF2905 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26633435927_91a1d8dbdf_k.jpgDSCF2904 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The Neutral Grey undersides have been added too,...... the Pactra paint was very streaky so the last coat was from my last pot of Aeromaster,.... which looked much better;

26633435397_ae2d8f363a_k.jpgDSCF2906 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 2

Well some good news,.... and some bad news!!

The good news,..... well after looking everywhere I finally found a decent photo of Vikin`s Vicious Virgin,.... and in colour too,... which also shows that I need to add a red/orange nose behind the nose guns;

39715228650_13c5dcedd7_k.jpgDSCF2911 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And the bad news,..... well first off,...... the text of Vikin`s Vicious Virgin`on the decal sheet is grey,.....when it should be white,.....and also the eyes are not exactly the same, missing the blue eyebrows amongst other things! 

26654525797_189cdcd9a6_k.jpgDSCF2912 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And even worse,...... well the mouth on the decal sheet is nothing like the real thing, but I was going to use the kit decal mouth instead,.....however,....I cut this out to help measure the black area of the mouth to be painted onto the model,..... and the cut out decal has now gone walkabout!!! 

The real aircraft is rather more faded in the photo than the paintwork on the model,...but this was most likely taken in late 1944-45 and the aircraft was operational in the Med from 1943 onwards,..... so as I want to represent it around the time it moved from Italy to Burma,....hopefully I`ll be OK and the varnish should lighten it too.

So,..... as my back is killing me at the moment I`ll be giving this one a rest for a day or so and hope that the missing decal turns up,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Well,...... having searched high and low I`ve still not found the mouth decals,...... so I have decided to paint the flipping things myself!!! Using as many references as I can,.....here it is after the first coat! It looks a bit ragged so far but hopefully a couple more coats will sort it out;

41516551152_5ca9ed7b2e_k.jpgDSCF2917 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, beppe said:

Amazing model Tony !

which was the use of the doped tape ?

Thanks Beppe,....... I`m presuming that the tape around the edges of the armour plating was to help streamline it and prevent the slipstream from getting behind the plate,...... most B-25`s that had armour outside the cockpit seem to have had the edges covered.

Right folks,.... another update,...... I`ve done a bit more on painting the mouth and nose and added the decals to the model too;

41565477281_74132729f0_k.jpgDSCF2928 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41524626002_1883dba6a0_k.jpgDSCF2930 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26696781697_d93f131567_k.jpgDSCF2925 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

I still need to tidy up the black part of the mouth again and also paint the blue sections onto the eyebrows,

Cheers for now,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, beppe said:

awesome. I thought it was a kind of weatherproofing

your paint is truly amazing mate.

It could well be Beppe,.....I`m just surmising myself. Glad you like the paintwork,... just don`t look too closely lol!!

Cheers

Tony 

Hiya Folks,... another update,......

I`ve finished painting the mouth,..... and have added blue to the eyes and eyebrows using Azure Blue while the bright yellow of the eyeballs has been toned doen under a coat of Trainer Yellow. I wasn`t too worried about the paintwork appearing a little rough as the real thing wasn`t exactly neat. But guess what turned up directly after finishing the nose painting,......yup,.... the missing decal!,..oh well!;

26718334617_a9051f5166_k.jpgDSCF2943 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And I`ve added a coat of matt varnish;

41545884522_cd9fb1b16d_k.jpgDSCF2940 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Followed by a watercolour wash to highlight the re scribed panel lines;

39778765770_f0bbb9cecf_k.jpgDSCF2951 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So I`ll scrub off the excess next and then time to start putting the undercarriage on and some weathering etc,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Cheers Skids,.....phew,.... glad somebody likes it,..... been a bit nervous over this one!

Another quick update,..... after the watercolour was was rubbed away, I added the undercarriage last night along with the bomb doors and entrance doors,..... just need to add some exhaust staining now and finish it off;

41564725002_e17e372a17_k.jpgDSCF2977 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Gorgeous work Tony.....Have to tall ya, the way you 'Wingy-Guys' put washes on things scares the hell outta me, but it really looks the business!  ;)

This picture drives home all that's wrong with my Italeri cockpit with a sledge-hammer: 

40605668264_c59bb5157d_k.jpg

Mine obviously has a flak curtain.....Well, that's the excuse I'm sticking with.  :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Gorgeous work Tony.....Have to tall ya, the way you 'Wingy-Guys' put washes on things scares the hell outta me, but it really looks the business!  ;)

This picture drives home all that's wrong with my Italeri cockpit with a sledge-hammer: 

40605668264_c59bb5157d_k.jpg

Mine obviously has a flak curtain.....Well, that's the excuse I'm sticking with.  :rolleyes:

Those seats are the rear jump seats,.....fitted in front of the bomb bay in the area where the mid upper turret should be and behind the bulkhead with the curtains, so no worries mate,

Cheers

Tony

Well I`m now calling this one finished!!! Added the turrets and stuff last night;

Here is how the brush painted mouth and face ended up;

26780848097_cf8b483e8d_k.jpgDSCF3086_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

And here are some other pics;

40937693204_add42317a9_k.jpgDSCF3072_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41648040981_28c7f37f6b_k.jpgDSCF3076_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41648042541_e846e81420_k.jpgDSCF3075_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41648025771_bc5fd3825e_k.jpgDSCF3077_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

26780848957_f0b6978d81_k.jpgDSCF3082_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40937649854_b91b38cf35_k.jpgDSCF3091_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41647942871_8f134f5ead_k.jpgDSCF3094_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40757186095_b7ba59a33b_k.jpgDSCF3099_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Thanks to everybody for your support during this build,...... I really enjoyed it,.... but now where to put it?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hello Tony ... I wish you were closer (in the western hemisphere). I just found these markings in my files. I could have posted them to you. That being said ... :worthy::worthy: I m Really happy I didn't. The paint job looks 110% Better than the decals. The colors are more vivid and look really good. 

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Brilliant work Tony.

The painting of the mouth turned out really well.

Don't worry you will find somewhere to put it!

Cheers MM,...... I think that I`ve filled my last gap up in the cabinet squeezing in a Defiant model,......so the display cabinet is out of the question! I`ll try the loft!

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Tony ... I wish you were closer (in the western hemisphere). I just found these markings in my files. I could have posted them to you. That being said ... :worthy::worthy: I m Really happy I didn't. The paint job looks 110% Better than the decals. The colors are more vivid and look really good. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,..... I actually found the Monogram kit mouth decal the morning after I had finished painting my own and I must admit that I was more pleased with my effort,.... although it was a bit of a leap into the dark at the time deciding to go on and paint it myself. The kit decals that I did use such as the stencils all silvered like mad and could not cope with contours,.... so probably another good reason for not using the kit mouth markings too!  I`m so thankful for finding the colour photo of the aircraft, that helped to match the colours,

All the best,

Tony

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...