1/48th Monogram B-25H Mitchell, 75mm Howitzer, Italy 1944!... FINISHED!!!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I dug this one out of the stash as I`ve wanted to get around to it for a while,......

41100151212_3057bdb193_k.jpgDSCF2762 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

However, when I opened up the box,..... I was surprised to find that I`d obviously started it some time ago and had gone quite a way too,..... is this too far gone to take part in this GB...

41143515011_2daf4dadb7_k.jpgDSCF2763 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

If it is,... then no problems,...... just thought that I`d ask.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony

As it's only taped together, I would say it's ok.

I certainly think the GB would be enhanced by its presence.

I think the more interesting question is where are you going to keep it when it's finished !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Tony

As it's only taped together, I would say it's ok.

I certainly think the GB would be enhanced by its presence.

I think the more interesting question is where are you going to keep it when it's finished !

cheers Pat

Cheers Pat,...... exactly,.....where shall I put it,.... I haven`t worked that one out yet!!! 

It is actually glued together,..... the tape is just holding the parts while the glue dried. I fear that it is too far gone myself,...but I thought that I`d just put it out there,

Cheers mate,

Tony  

1 hour ago, beppe said:

I thought it was only used in the Pacific or in the BCI theater ?

Joseph

Nope,...... the USAAF had a group based in the Med, they were also used over the Aegean and Balkans. In fact the box art aircraft is one of these,...... the 12th BG was based at Foggia, Italy with B-25H`s in 1943-44 and then the group was transferred to India.  

Cheers

Tony

I still have a spare nose for this kit. I salvaged it from a scrapped kit many years ago. My plans are to clean it up, re-inforce it and make Resin copies of it. So maybe you and/or others wont need the whole kit ? Just cut the nose of the existing “J” kit ? Problem is ive never made a resin piece i will have to research the process and costs associated. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skids said:

Go on then I will let this one in. (as I remember that kit fondly)

Simon

Cheers Simon,...... I know that it is a dodgy one,.....so I appreciate it! I honestly cannot remember having started it,....... in fact I`m a bit worried!!

All the best

Tony

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

I honestly cannot remember having started it,....... in fact I`m a bit worried!!

Don't worry Tony, I recently had a bit of a clear up in the modelling room and found a couple like that!  :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

To make up for my lack of interior photos,.... from the instructions here is the cockpit, complete with 75mm howitzer taking up the tunnel below the flight deck;

Image result for monogram b-25h 1/48

Right then,.... today I has mostly been sanding and re scribing the Mitchell! It has raised panel lines and so these were used as a guide to be scribed along with a craft knife, then the raised lines were sanded away. I then ran over the lines with a metal punch,.... as I`ve lost my proper scriber!

41333071872_c9d659b137_k.jpgDSCF2867 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Next I`ll be adding the seats etc and adding the canopy,...... cannot decide whether to have the nose hatch opened or closed yet,.... so I`ll see how the guns look in place and decide then! 

For decals I`ve got the sheet `Dragon`s and Tigers and Girls,....Oh My,.... and by Albatross Modelworks,...see below; 

b25decalreviewbg_4.JPGb25decalreviewbg_2.JPGb25decalreviewbg_3.JPGb25decalreviewbg_5.JPGImage result for Dragons and Tigers and Girls... Oh MyImage result for Dragons and Tigers and Girls... Oh MyImage result for Dragons and Tigers and Girls... Oh MyImage result for Dragons and Tigers and Girls... Oh My

and will be going for the first option pictured,.....Vikin`s Vicious Virgin with its big eyes and mouth! This aircraft was based in Mediterranean and also Burma,.... and the artwork is superb! I have a 1/72nd B-25H planned too,.... but from the 1st Air Commando Group which supported the Chindit`s.

Cheers for now,

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

Vikin`s Vicious Virgin and other 12th BG Mitchell`s;

Image result for vikings vicious virgin b-25h 12th bg usaaf

Image result for vikings vicious virgin

EagleCals+Eatin+Kitty+(3).jpg[

url=https://flic.kr/p/GvnG8B]26586681457_d847861f23_b.jpg[/url]vikins vicious virgin by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Image result for b-25h 12th bg usaaf

Image result for b-25h

Image result for b-25h

Most B-25H`s were flown by a single pilot;

Image result for b-25h

Production pics;

Related image

Image result for b-25h

Some preserved B-25H`s;

Image result for b-25h

Image result for b-25h

Image result for b-25hRelated image

My main reference is this Osprey book, which includes the 12th BG before they left the Med for Burma;

Image result for osprey b-25 book

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

B-25H Interior pics;

Related image

Behind bomb bay looking forward;

Related image

Waist gun position;

Related image

Mid Upper turret alongside `Dog Daize';

Related image

More pics of `Dog Daize;

Related image

Related image

Related image

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Back to the modelling,......here is the nose opened up with the guns in position;

40677707854_57a7ff07f1_k.jpgDSCF2873 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40496848635_498820a114_k.jpgDSCF2872 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40496849265_9fc240c5e5_k.jpgDSCF2871 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

However,.... I have decided to close the nose and here it is with the cover closed;

40496847625_4a1134af54_z.jpgDSCF2874 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

It will require some filler to blend the cover into the fuselage,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Tony.....Do you know if the 'Shady Lady' scheme would be available in 1/72?  :shrug:  That's the coolest scheme I've ever seen on a Gunship and the name rocks!  B)

Love the work you've done on the interior, I will be attempting nothing even close on my own.....My aim is to fill all the clear bits with funny faces etc. and hope nobody looks any deeper within!  :ninja:

• Haha 1

nice job on the interior Tony, you keep yourself busy with the dutch one too.

Is there any decals sheet for this aircraft in 1/72 ?

Joseph

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Tony.....Do you know if the 'Shady Lady' scheme would be available in 1/72?  :shrug:  That's the coolest scheme I've ever seen on a Gunship and the name rocks!  B)

Love the work you've done on the interior, I will be attempting nothing even close on my own.....My aim is to fill all the clear bits with funny faces etc. and hope nobody looks any deeper within!  :ninja:

4 hours ago, beppe said:

nice job on the interior Tony, you keep yourself busy with the dutch one too.

Is there any decals sheet for this aircraft in 1/72 ?

Joseph

Cheers fella`s,....... Patrice here on the GB is using the 1/72nd version of this sheet for his build, see link;

Not sure if it is currently available though,.... I`ve looked on Hannants and no trace there I`m afraid.

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Added some more filler and had a sanding session today,.....the engines have been attached and the wings and fins have been dry fitted here;

40703922314_612e1d089d_k.jpgDSCF2886 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41376043892_65cd52aa09_k.jpgDSCF2885 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The canopy has been masked off and the decal sheet is visible too,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Some fantastic work there Tony. I am always in awe that how you seem to build so effortlessly! Well that’s how it comes across.

Great colour scheme too.

Simon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skids said:

Some fantastic work there Tony. I am always in awe that how you seem to build so effortlessly! Well that’s how it comes across.

Great colour scheme too.

Simon

Cheers Simon,......but effortlessly,.......no way! To be honest I`m sick of sanding this model and every time I get the seams right the fuselage cracks open again! Note the clamp on the rear fuselage here where the fuselage `popped' yet again!;

41414622422_7adedf2d79_k.jpgDSCF2892 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

There was so much dust getting inside the model that I plugged it up with damp tissue!

More updates,....

As the model was plugged up I decided to hurry things along and use a rattle can of Tamiya USAAF Olive Drab on the upper surfaces;

39648856460_c9be448c32_k.jpgDSCF2894 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

Then it was onto the undersides,...I decided to hand paint these using Pactra acrylic USAAF Neutral Grey and a first coat has been added to the main areas using a flat brush, the wavy decarcations will be added using a smaller brush. I also masked off the nose area where `Vikin`s Vicious Virgin' had a white area around the mouth markings,... the inside of the mouth will be painted black. I wish that I could find a decent photo of the real thing!;

41414621682_d339996e38_k.jpgDSCF2897 by Tony OToole, on Flickr 

40743248864_97eb4fca27_k.jpgDSCF2898 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

The white nose area has been applied, as have the pre painted propellers. The pilots and gun loader/navigator seat have been placed in the cockpit too,..... decals from a 1/72nd Academy B-17G have been added to the cushions to try to replicate what I saw in a real B-25 in the USA;

41414621102_2231900a95_k.jpgDSCF2900 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40743248074_1e20ae2a52_k.jpgDSCF2901 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40605668264_c59bb5157d_k.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

To be honest I`m sick of sanding this model and every time I get the seams right the fuselage cracks open again! Note the clamp on the rear fuselage here where the fuselage `popped' yet again!;

I restored my Brother in laws 42 year old 1/24 Mustang a couple of years ago. I had exactly the same problem with the glue not holding. I figured the plastic had chemically changed overtime. Most likely due to heat/cold cycles. My solution in the end after trying liquid and tube glues was to C/A the entire plane. It was the only glue that would hold. Its strong now but it was an unpleasent experience. 

• Like 1