Roden Gloster Gladiator.

Afternoon folk's,I did say in Chat that I wanted a bi-plane to make up the trio to give me  three main stages of the RAF's development so looked out for a 

WW1 subject then remembered that I'd often eyed up Roden's Gladiator when I discovered it includes marking's for a 607 (County of Durham) Sqn 

aircraft so it fit's in nicely with that short period between the service of the Gladiator/Spitfire and Meteor really short of ten year's that transformed the

RAF in term's of capability,just laying a marker for now as Iwon't start till the  other's are  progressed enough,for now here's a review.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/cleaverglad.htm

• Like 4

I have the Roden 1/48 Sea Gladiator on the naughty step.  It is a great kit.  I just got a bit frustrated fitting the upper plane as I couldn't get the interplane struts to sit right (or the cabane struts come to that) and ended up breaking some.  I have come up with an idea for a jig but haven't plucked up the courage yet to restart...

• Like 1

I built the Roden Sea Gladiator a few years ago and its a great little kit. I'm not a big biplane fan but this was easier than most.

Look forward to seeing you build this :popcorn:

Colin

• Like 1

Kit arrived today what a beauty I'll post some sprue shot's asap but won't start till the other two are well on the way,still going with the 607 Sqn

machine but wobbled when I saw the silver scheme!

• Like 1

Morning all,Here's the stout box the kit arrived in.

And the contents in light gray plastic not amillion miles in feel from Airfix's newer molding's.

I've read up on the issues of fit so hopefully I can avoid the pitfall's,but reality has sunk in and the rigging will be my main fear but that's

for a few week's time!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folk's, all my current build's are at the wash stage and I,ve run out till tomorrow so for the last couple of sessions I made progress with

the Gladiator,looking at real and modelling photos bring's up a host of different interior finishes so I based mine on an build in MAI.

Right a few personal observation's I hope will be of use.

The three piece cowling is tricky and I found differences in the depth of all the pieces,once dry it can be trimmed and sanded and all's well.

The wing's are one piece affair's which is great but the flap's need a trim and sand for a good fit again no major issue.Same with the tailplanes.

The weakest part for me is the cockpit floor you can see the thin poles it slot's into the fuselage with,the two centre ones broke off  in the box 

and the other's are just clinging on so as you can see I glued two pieces of scrap sprue so the floor will rest on them at the correct level.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

Hi, Steve...have you experienced any issue trying to fit the IP..????

When I built mine, I ofund that the fuselage halves didn't close, so I had to trim the IP, loosing some previosuly painted details....

Otherwise, a nice kit, but sitll prefer the Inpact/Pyro one....

Best regards....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Artie said:

Hi, Steve...have you experienced any issue trying to fit the IP..????

When I built mine, I ofund that the fuselage halves didn't close, so I had to trim the IP, loosing some previosuly painted details....

Otherwise, a nice kit, but sitll prefer the Inpact/Pyro one....

Best regards....

Hi Artie,not reached that stage yet but the shelf behind the pilots seat needed a good 1mm trimming of when I tried a dry run.

Well thank's to Artie's heads up I trimmed the IP before fitting and all's well,despite no locating pin's she's gone together fine,tail fitted now and

should have the lower wing's on over the weekend.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Looking very well put together Steve, Roden kits do take a little bit of thinking around the basic construction, but I think they're worth it. Nice job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkSH said:

Looking very well put together Steve, Roden kits do take a little bit of thinking around the basic construction, but I think they're worth it. Nice job.

Thank's Mark,I agree totally, dry run,trim, dry run and  glue but worth it some lovely detailing surface wise on this kit not showing up in the photo's

due to the colour of the plastic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spaddad said:

Watching this one closely, really fancy one of these, crack on.

Be warned Dave this one has stretched my (little I grant you) patience,the on the sprue  the mainstream look of the kit lulled me into a false sense

of security the fuselage joining was as I imagined a vac form would feel like but I have to say it's not spoiled the fun and now it's at this stage i'm

happy but the top wing is next!

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I'm on a learning curve with the painting of this one as well as the construction,I've only built 1/72 Bi-planes which have been brush painted in full

so I thought best spray the base earth coat on then the black/white lower colours then paint the green before adding the upper wing,hope it work's.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Morning folk's,didn't expect an hour at the bench this morning,now wishing I hadn't,last few sessions got her here...........................

That decal sheet just didn't look right from the off so I tried a couple of item's not being used and this is the result,

the whole sheet's a write off so beware folk's if your planning to buy one, thankfully good old KK are selling these for £14:99 if I'd paid the near

thirty quid in my LMS I'd be even more annoyed than I am so for now this ones stalled while I search for decal's.

Edited by stevej60
  • Sad 1

Well it's game over I'm afraid it seem's Hannant's don't have anything for RAF Gladiator's so I;ll box her up for maybe a future re-paint.

• Sad 2

The Roden decals in the SE5a are very brittle but no where near as bad as that Steve, hard luck on the finding replacements as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

The Roden decals in the SE5a are very brittle but no where near as bad as that Steve, hard luck on the finding replacements as well.

Cheer's Mark there's just nothing out there for RAF scheme's I might pop an add in wanted see if maybe someone with the Eduard boxing might have

a spare RAF scheme or even a spare roden sheet.

Called it a day on this one folk's,Chris very kidly sent a replacement decal sheet which has repeated the issue's of the original so I'll box her up

for a future re-visit when time permit's.Thank's for looking in anyway.I'll have a look in a few week's and may have a crack at another entry to

keep the trio alive.

• Sad 1

Sorry I missed your earlier post, I might have saved you some anguish. When I built the Rodin Malta gladiator the decals shattered and I had to buy the aeromaster defenders of malta sheet , there is the model alliance wings of silver sheets which have options but I think both are out of production and difficult to find,there is also the Iliad Design 1/48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I/Mk.II in North Africa which pops up .

Good luck in finding replacements

• Like 1

Cheer's Delta no worries she's boxed up for now and I can crack on with the Meteor and Spitfire now I have some of the bit's I need.